Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING what's on the grill thread

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm devoted to Weber grills. They make great, durable, well-built products, plain and simple.
    Yep. I've concluded that grills are one area where you are better off saving a bit of money and buying quality.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I'm devoted to Weber grills. They make great, durable, well-built products, plain and simple.
    Absolutely. My charcoal grill is about 15 years old and still going strong!
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Fired up the ol' Smoky Joe twice this weekend, once for sausages and once for pork chops. The pork chops were a little tough. I might not have cooked them quite long enough (that or they were just dried out freezer burnt from being in the freezer too long).

I plan to do lots of charcoal grilling this summer and I believe the family intends to get me a(nother) larger charcoal grill for my birthday. Any suggestions?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Last night on the grill:

okra
    yellow squash
    black drum fillets

It was so very good! I hadn't tried to grill okra before, but it was really good for a first attempt. Going to embellish some for the next round and serve it as an appetizer.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Last night on the grill:

okra
    yellow squash
    black drum fillets

It was so very good! I hadn't tried to grill okra before, but it was really good for a first attempt. Going to embellish some for the next round and serve it as an appetizer.
    I'm curious about grilling okra... how did you season it, did you slice it first, and about how much time were they on the grill? My okra plants have produced a stupid amount of okra, which I usually fry or saute. I'm not really a fan of pickling/canning it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004

BTW I got a Weber Jumbo Joe (22") for our grilling needs. I could have waited until my birthday at the end of August to get it as a gift but it made more sense to get the grill earlier in the summer to maximize its use. So far I'm quite pleased with its performance. My FIL just got a dual-fuel charcoal/propane grill. Gas for when you're in a hurry, and charcoal for when you want the very best taste and don't mind waiting a little bit.

I also want to put in a plug for charcoal chimneys. I never saw the utility in them before but swear by them now that I've had a chance to use ours. Charcoal heats up more quickly, and burns more evenly too. Plus, because they require only a couple sheets of newspaper to start a fire you avoid that slight chemical taste/aroma sometimes associated with the use of lighter fluid.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

BTW I got a Weber Jumbo Joe (22") for our grilling needs. I could have waited until my birthday at the end of August to get it as a gift but it made more sense to get the grill earlier in the summer to maximize its use. So far I'm quite pleased with its performance. My FIL just got a dual-fuel charcoal/propane grill. Gas for when you're in a hurry, and charcoal for when you want the very best taste and don't mind waiting a little bit.

I also want to put in a plug for charcoal chimneys. I never saw the utility in them before but swear by them now that I've had a chance to use ours. Charcoal heats up more quickly, and burns more evenly too. Plus, because they require only a couple sheets of newspaper to start a fire you avoid that slight chemical taste/aroma sometimes associated with the use of lighter fluid.
    I have the same Weber. We debated back and forth whether to get a gas grill or a charcoal grill. We opted for the Weber because charcoal tastes better, I would be really pissed if someone stole a $300 gas grill from my backyard (I live in the hood), and with a chimney starter it only takes 10 minutes for the charcoal to be ready. We use hardwood lump charcoal rather than briquettes.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I have the same Weber. We debated back and forth whether to get a gas grill or a charcoal grill. We opted for the Weber because charcoal tastes better, I would be really pissed if someone stole a $300 gas grill from my backyard (I live in the hood), and with a chimney starter it only takes 10 minutes for the charcoal to be ready. We use hardwood lump charcoal rather than briquettes.
    I bought a Weber Q120 that I use occasionally. It's a small portable gas grill. I don't use it often, but it's nice for those days during the week that I just want something grilled. I store all my grills inside because I don't have a deck or patio.

I actually have 3 because I am insane. A Weber Smokey Joe Gold, Weber Q120, and a Weber Performer Platinum.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I'm curious about grilling okra... how did you season it, did you slice it first, and about how much time were they on the grill? My okra plants have produced a stupid amount of okra, which I usually fry or saute. I'm not really a fan of pickling/canning it.
    wash & paper towel dry
    slit long-ways
    season with olive oil, salt, pepper & blackening spices to taste
    grill hotter (rather than lower) and turn until exterior is charred
    eat 'em up yum

Pretty simple. I put them on the grill first and turned them, then the yellow squash, then the fish.

I'm going to trying different spice combinations and other ideas for appetizer dish (and even roasting because we love veggies that way too).
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2002
    I can't grill or bar-b-que (there's a difference, trust me) at my apartment, so I don't get many chances to cook out. However . . .

1. On July 4, I brought two pounds of hamburger and a pork loin to my parents to grill. I was wondering why I was bringing so much meat for four adults (I had a friend over) when my Mom made a couple calls. Suddenly, I had to add Kogel's Viennas to the grill as we were joined by two aunts, an uncle, and a cousin! It turned into a great day.

2. Yesterday, I went over to the new girlfriend's place. The first thing she asked me was how to start her grill. Suddenly, I found myself outside with a cold beer in hand and manning the grill an cooking a pack of Ballpark Franks for me, said new girlfriend, and three kids. Her next door neighbors popped over to say hi and ate too. Good times!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Suddenly, I found myself outside with a cold beer in hand and manning the grill an cooking a pack of Ballpark Franks for me, said new girlfriend, and three kids. Her next door neighbors popped over to say hi and ate too. Good times!
    That, right there, is one of the best things in the world.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm using a gas grill, mostly because I'm too lazy to light up charcoal. When I did have a nice charcoal smoker, I swore by the chimney. That thing will light up faster and easier than anything with no lighter fluid. My gas grill has a side fire box attachment you can buy for smoking or grilling. My wife said she would buy one for me sometime when we bought the grill. I'm still waiting on my side fire box and my hammock. I might actually have to go buy these things myself!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    That, right there, is one of the best things in the world.
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    . On July 4, I brought two pounds of hamburger and a pork loin to my parents to grill. I was wondering why I was bringing so much meat for four adults (I had a friend over) when my Mom made a couple calls. Suddenly, I had to add Kogel's Viennas to the grill as we were joined by two aunts, an uncle, and a cousin! It turned into a great day.

Yesterday, I went over to the new girlfriend's place. The first thing she asked me was how to start her grill. Suddenly, I found myself outside with a cold beer in hand and manning the grill an cooking a pack of Ballpark Franks for me, said new girlfriend, and three kids. Her next door neighbors popped over to say hi and ate too. Good times!
    This. One of the best collateral benefits to having a grill (especially the more leisurely times associated with charcoal grills) is that it's a sort of social conduit. Think about it, pleasant food smells waft into the neighborhood. The neighbors lean over the fence, see you on turning steaks with one hand, a Bell's Amber Ale in the other, and before you know it you've got company. An instant impromptu party!

This past weekend I was grilling out back and our neighbors were having company over for a swim in their pool. They smelled the grill and invited us over for a dip too. They supplied us with a package of hot dogs which I was more than happy to grill up for them and a shindig ensued. Good times indeed!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've never had success using a charcoal chimney. I plan ahead and use fuel. I also use a blend of hardwood lumps and charcoal.

We grilled meat for fajitas tonight. Good eating.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here's the grill we bought over two years ago.

It's not that clean anymore.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post

Should have went with the Platinum! It includes a sweet built in gas torch to light your coals. It takes the standard camping propane bottles. I really like it.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post

That's a sweet setup

Weber charcoal here too - chimney use, yes, though when I grill at the parks here, I use chemicals, the kids love that

we made chicken that was coated with an inch of Hellman's and salt and pepper and it was awesome - had pesto/ziti on the side with a green salad - a perfect dinner

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Had my Platinum out all weekend! Smoked 3 bone in skin on chicken breasts with some applewood for about 2 hours on Saturday. Real delicious stuff!! They were brined for 2 days, then rubbed in Weber's Garlic Siracha rub for a day.

Sunday I smoked a rack of spare ribs. Rubbed in McCormick's Memphis Pit BBQ and smoked with hickory for 6 hours. They were good, but not the best I've ever made. I think I might try the 3-2-1 method next time and wrap them up with some BBQ sauce. I normally prefer my ribs to be dry rubbed. I also used too much hickory, so the smoke is a little overpowering, not too bad though.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I grilled lunch and dinner on the same day this past weekend! I'm becoming a grill-aholic big time. Starting to try my hand at more advanced grilling techniques like setting up dual-zone fires (great for porterhouse steaks where you want less heat on the tenderloin part of the cut) and cooking thicker pieces of meat with indirect heat. Picked up a couple more porterhouse steaks this weekend. I've always liked teriyaki marinades for steaks but am developing a taste for dry rubs now.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    King Mackerel fillets tonight.
    Just little lemon pepper and kosher salt.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Grilled some marinated boneless chicken on Saturday along with corn on the cob, onions, and sweet peppers. All turned out awesome and my husband admitted that I am the better grillmaster

I have some nice steaks and pork chops in the fridge, will probably grill one of them tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be fabulous all week.

My secret to using the chimney starter? Use a brown paper grocery bag torn and wadded up instead of newsprint. It burns hotter and longer and really gets the coals going.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    My secret to using the chimney starter? Use a brown paper grocery bag torn and wadded up instead of newsprint. It burns hotter and longer and really gets the coals going.
    I dump the charcoal into a bin and use pieces of the bag in the chimney starter.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    An observation: last year I could get a bag of my favorite charcoal (Kingsford) on sale for $8.99. This year the sale price appears to be $9.99. Has anyone else noticed if the price of charcoal jumped this year in their neck of the woods?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    2016/17 has turned out to be the Winter That Wasn't for large parts of the US. We've had several unprecedented opportunities for backyard grilling sessions where normally we'd be ice skating. The sad part about it is that I've run out of charcoal from our stock purchased last year and what little charcoal that's still on the stores shelves is being sold at full price. Sales on charcoal don't usually start for at least a couple more months around here.

Registered
    May 2006
    F****ng PORTERHOUSE STEAKS from the Butcher Counter at Loblaws. Ill pan sear it because its still too chilly for grilling.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread