Thread: The NEVERENDING what's on the grill thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cheeseburgers today.

Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Cheeseburgers today.
    in Paradise?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    What grill?

We're going out on a date tonight. Maybe I'll get a grilled something for dinner . . . .
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    in Paradise?
    Definitely.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Last night - cornish game hens:

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    ^ I like that idea. I had never thought of making cornish game hens on the grill. I bet my daughter would get a kick out of that and having her own.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Last night - cornish game hens:
    I've been meaning to try this for a while. I haven't busted out the grill in what seems like months. I've basically been out of town every weekend since August.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The game hens - marinate or rub as you choose, split, grill the halves skin side up - indirect heat (medium), ~45 minutes. I have a cast iron humidifier box I use that helps keep the birds moist (white wine with rosemary sprigs this time).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So I am trying to convince my beautiful wife to let me get a Yoder Smoker. It isn't going so well. Anyone else have something like this and have great stories about how it has changed their lives and that I am just less of a man without one? I could use some support...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    So I am trying to convince my beautiful wife to let me get a Yoder Smoker. It isn't going so well. Anyone else have something like this and have great stories about how it has changed their lives and that I am just less of a man without one? I could use some support...
    My God, those are expensive! I've had my eye on a Weber Smokey Mountain for a few years, and I've struggled with spending the 3-400 for one of those...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    My God, those are expensive! I've had my eye on a Weber Smokey Mountain for a few years, and I've struggled with spending the 3-400 for one of those...
    Whose freakin' side are you on? They are American made, solid, and produce sweet, sweet meatstuffs. They are a bargain, good sir, a bargain.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Whose freakin' side are you on? They are American made, solid, and produce sweet, sweet meatstuffs. They are a bargain, good sir, a bargain.
    There is no way you can hold a gathering at the house without one of these. Just think of the savory selections you will produce and the gathering of friends to watch college football on the deck.

You want to have friends? You want to eat well? You want this!

(just let me know when I can help break it in)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    See now that is support. THAT is how you help a guy out.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    More importantly, think of how much cooking you, Hink, will be doing and how much less cooking Hink's wife will have to do. Plus it's outside so the kitchen won't get messed up.

At least these arguments would work in my house.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So I grilled both days this weekend. Saturday I grilled some burgers and last night we had two different types of sausages (pineapple & pork and cherry & pork). This normally wouldn't be that unusual but for the fact that we're talking about two consecutive days...in December!

It wasn't quite 'cold' out (~mid 40's) but the temps had dropped enough to notice the cook times were longer than in August. the biggest challenge, however, was the lack of light. I started the charcoal around 5:25 p.m. on Saturday and managed to overcook some of the burgers because it was getting too dark to see if the patties needed flipping. I didn't replace the back porch light after it burned out a couple years ago because the motion sensor-activated light was getting annoying (goes off every time a chipmunk farts), but it looks like I'll have to replace that back porch light after all.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I grilled last night, too. I took the chicken off the grill before it got too dark because the coals were dying, and I finished it in the oven with some other things that were there.

Last year, I grilled on Dec. 23 or 24 because it was so warm outside.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    They have these things called 'outdoor lights' that seem quite popular and get extra use this time of year.

I grilled on Saturday afternoon, since it was in the mid-50s here...with my gas grill...you luddites.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    High of 45 in the ATL today, and I'll still be out grilling sausages tonight.

Gas grill and outdoor lights, you amateurs.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Has anyone ever smoked a turkey breast? I'm going to try 2 of them for the office Christmas party but I've never done them before. I might try to smoke one this weekend and see how it goes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Has anyone ever smoked a turkey breast? I'm going to try 2 of them for the office Christmas party but I've never done them before. I might try to smoke one this weekend and see how it goes.
    My son and I smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving, and everyone seemed to prefer it.

If you use a whole one, split it so it lays flat on the pan. We brined it over night and put cajun seasoning on it before it went in the smoker. The instructions said to cook it over a relatively high heat (325), so I'd say that it was roasted with smoke instead of smoking it at a lower temp. It was very good. A 12-lb bird was finished in about 3 hours.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    So I went with the turkey breast for the Christmas Party tomorrow. I got two fresh (not frozen) breasts around 5.5 lb each.They are bone in though, so I'm a little concerned that there won't be enough meat. I brined them for about 12 hours and just took them out this afternoon. I'll be doing a brown sugar rub on one, and a cajun type rub on the other. I plan on putting them on tomorrow morning and having them ready for noon. It's supposed to rain but I can work around that. I didn't get to do a test run so I hope this works.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    So I went with the turkey breast for the Christmas Party tomorrow. I got two fresh (not frozen) breasts around 5.5 lb each.They are bone in though, so I'm a little concerned that there won't be enough meat. I brined them for about 12 hours and just took them out this afternoon. I'll be doing a brown sugar rub on one, and a cajun type rub on the other. I plan on putting them on tomorrow morning and having them ready for noon. It's supposed to rain but I can work around that. I didn't get to do a test run so I hope this works.
    Use a good meat thermometer. I think you’ll be good.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Use a good meat thermometer. I think you’ll be good.
    Borrowed a Thermapen from Environmental Health just in case. Got the on the grill at around 7. I ended up having to pull them off at 10:30 and finish in the oven, I ran out of time and they stalled pretty heavy at 150. They were fantastic!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    They were fantastic!
    That's all they'll remember! Good job!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I watched a youtube video on how to roast chestnuts over a charcoal grill. Unfortunately mine got all burnt and dried out when I tried.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread