Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Snax

Registered
    Feb 2004

Snax

The bad news: you're stuck on a desert island and you don't know how long you will be stranded there
    The good news: you happened to be transporting a large shipment of goodies (and who knows...maybe there's a big refrigerator/freezer on this island too! And perhaps you're also stranded with a rocket scientist and a millionaire, and a hot actress....)

What edible snacks would you hope you were shipping? Twinkies? pretzels? potato chips (what kind?) Hersheys bars? salt peanuts?
    [please note the point of this exercise is simply an entertaining way to ask the rather boring/pedestrian question: 'what's your favorite snack'?
    but if you want to turn this into a "I would choose potato chips and construct a raft using the vacuum sealed bags..." type of exercise too go right ahead.]
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I guess I would go with pistachios. Although Milk Duds would be a close second.

And if I get to pick the hot actress, I am going with Zooey Deschanel.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Not knowing if this is a salt water island, I'll go with apples as they will contain the water needed for some hydration. .
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    The answer is clear my comrades. We would all perish without hummus and pita, avocados and tortilla chips (the homemade style variety), and roasted mixed nuts.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    The answer is clear my comrades. We would all perish without hummus and pita, avocados and tortilla chips (the homemade style variety), and roasted mixed nuts.
    Holy crap. You just read my mind. Seriously.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If memory serves me correctly, both the rocket scientist and the millionaire are PITA's. And you want to bring more?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Chex Mix (any variety http://www.chex.com/Snacks/default.aspx except the chocolate) and popcorn.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I surely would die without my Clubhouse crackers and port wine cheese spread, my honey roasted peanuts, and my tortilla chips and salsa or guac. And I surely would perish in the summer months without my Grandma's seafood dip with Ruffles chips.

And there better be Jack Daniel's and Diet Coke on this island too, otherwise I would die of thirst.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Salt and vinegar chips, or

white cheddar popcorn

Registered
    Mar 2002

As long as it's roasted garlic hummus, I'm with you.

Registered
    May 2005
    Well, I think TS hit it on the head for me, too. Though I would add some of ZGs salt and vinegar chips as well. And you could plant the avocado seed, too.

For the nuts, let me suggest red chile pistachios. My son bought some the other day and they ROCKED my world.

I'm not a big snacker, but one of my favorites is bananas and peanut butter (followed closely by dates and peanut butter). In fact, I'll just add peanut butter to the list, bananas or no. I could probably subsist solely on that. Other nut butters are good, too, especially almond butter.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Trail Mix. Hands down.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    May 2002
    Pure Protein high protein bar. they are what I keep in my desk drawer and they get me through the middle morning crash wonderfully.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Trail Mix. Hands down.
    I guess Tarf and I will be sitting together in the Trail Mix part of the island. I have dibs on the chocolate pieces!!

I would also bring a neverending tub of peanut butter. I love it. I no longer travel without it.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Peanut butter! How could I have missed that one? I LOVE peanut butter with apples, peanut butter with celery sticks and raisins, and peanut butter and banana! Excellent call wahday. We would have all perished without it for sure.

I move we immediately begin planting a peanut field on our new island. Is the motion seconded?

Edit: I should note that at this very moment I am eating walnut, raisin sourdough toast with peanut butter for breakfast
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Ranch Doritos, Reese's PB Cups, any kind of nuts.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I need more CHEESY POOFS! [/Cartman]

But really... I can't live without having a constant supply of cashews on hand. I also love me some fig newtons. Even though I don't really eat them, twinkies might be a good choice, too, because they would almost certainly never perish. They are sort of devoid of any nutritional value, however.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I just received a notification that my order from Nuts.com was received (no RJ not those kinda nuts). Can't wait to try the goodies I ordered. FYI they have an extensive inventory of flours including gluten free types, spices, seeds, nuts, and other goodies. Fast and cheap shipping.

Apparently today is National Chip & Dip Day
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm gonna go with Fritos chili cheese corn chips and blanched, salted peanuts.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    For my sanity, and those stuck with me, I need a few good tobacco plants to roll cigars with.
    If we're trying to build something, I want lots of cashews in the plastic jars, good to eat and great for building a raft, or a see through shelter to house Zooey Deschanel.
    If it's just snacks, I want those Dove chocolates, they can keep me company witth the little messages of hope.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I would be most thankful that I was transporting a large cargo of gummi and sour gummi treats - worms, bears, fish, watermelons, cherries, kids...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread