Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Arc10 and Parcel Editor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011

Arc10 and Parcel Editor

First off, great little tool!

Im currently working on a project where I need to subdivide a large parcel into 13 new parcels. I am working from a master plan which is just a bitmap image drawn in paint. Im having a few problems with this. My schooling never really taught me how to start from scratch so to speak, and most of my work was dealing with raster imagery anyways.

First off, how do I specify lengths? I need several of the parcels to have a specific road frontage. In my rough draft, I simply used the measurement tool and estimated (not very accurate). I see there is some sort of sketching tool, but Ive never really used this before. One other issue I am running into, is that these parcels follow a road that isn't there yet. Is there some sort of tool that automatically rounds off corners (Sort of like the fillet command in AutoCAD)?

I was also asked to see if I could add sidewalks, as well as the road into the finished product. Is this something I can do within the GIS Map layout, or will I need to try my hand at photoshop?

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    You may want to check out some of the free instructional videos here: http://training.esri.com/Gateway/ind...cordedSeminars

This one is an overview of editing in ArcGIS10: http://training.esri.com/gateway/ind...&courseID=1910

I'm not familiar with the parcel editor tool, but if you have a polygon that you are ready to edit, you can simply use the cut polygon tool (selected from the Editor toolbar), click on your vertex to get started, and then right click so you can see the Length option. Once you click on that, you can enter the desired length, and then the distance will be locked in for that segment (you can also set up custom keyboard shortcuts for tools you use often). Another trick is to use "construction" lines or shapes, set up as a different feature class from your parcel layer, so that you can draft some guide lines and then use that to make your cuts.

If you ever need to digitize paper maps to create new parcels, check out this nerdy post I added a while ago: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ers&highlight=

Good luck. Those seminars really helped me when I was first learning.
    Last edited by BrianVDB; 22 Mar 2012 at 2:13 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    I ended up bringing the Master Plan he sent me (which he drew up in MS paint I think), and georeferenced it with the aerial photography I was using. I drew the new parcels in off that, because it was amazingly accurate. Looks exactly right now.

The parcel editor and the standard editor are basically the same tool, although the parcel one allows you to create a parcel fabric, etc...more in depth I believe.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by BrianVDB View post

I'm not familiar with the parcel editor tool, but if you have a polygon that you are ready to edit, you can simply use the cut polygon tool (selected from the Editor toolbar), click on your vertex to get started, and then right click so you can see the Length option. Once you click on that, you can enter the desired length, and then the distance will be locked in for that segment (you can also set up custom keyboard shortcuts for tools you use often).
    This is exactly how I edit parcel - or any polygon really - boundaries. It is quick, accurate, and simple.
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 10:32 AM
  2. Letters to the Editor
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 28 Apr 2007, 2:34 PM
  3. Letters to the Editor
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7