Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: slow, slow quick-quick slow

Registered
    Dec 2008

slow, slow quick-quick slow

slow, slow, quick-quick-slow.....slow, slow, quick-quick-slow

I have lots of work to do but I checked out half an hour ago and in my head we're all taking a ballroom dancing class together....and I'm fabulous! Would you all attend an imanginary ballroom dancing class with me please? Right now everyone is just watching in my imagination and it's irritating me. I would like for you all to dance.

Moderator note:
    Maister: this deeply philosophical thread split brought to you courtesy of RTDNTOTO
    Last edited by Maister; 22 Mar 2012 at 11:33 AM.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Right now everyone is just watching in my imagination and it's irritating me. I would like for you all to dance.
    No way, man. I'm too self-conscious to do that. I'd be afraid of messing up my (imaginary) steps and looking like some kinda doofus!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008

I have lots of work to do but I checked out half an hour ago and in my head we're all taking a ballroom dancing class together....and I'm fabulous! Would you all attend an imanginary ballroom dancing class with me please? Right now everyone is just watching in my imagination and it's irritating me. I would like for you all to dance.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    No way, man. I'm too self-conscious to do that. I'd be afraid of messing up my (imaginary) steps and looking like some kinda doofus!
    Don't be silly! You'll dance wonderfully, I'm sure. Here, just take my hands.....no that's awkward, huh? Here...you dance with ZG...well fine, RJ! Don't get your salsa-pants in a bunch, you dance with ZG. LP? Dandy? TS? Somebody, a little help here? Maister won't dance with me, can one of you fill in?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I would be pleased to lead Maister around the dance floor!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I would be pleased to lead Maister around the dance floor!
    Bruno and Carrie Ann might give high marks for that (in fact Carrie Ann might start saying 'oh, that was so vulnerable....and beautiful' and get all choked up), but I doubt Len would be decieved by such a ruse for a second. No, I'll continue to hang out by the (imaginary) punch bowl not dancing and feeling socially akward..
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    My parents went out almost every Saturday night when I was a kid. It was always just "their night out" and I never questioned what they were doing or where they were going. Then, when I was 15, my brother got married and my parents danced, ballroom-style and I (along with my brother) was amazed.They were awesome! And danced to almost any pattern - including rhumba, salsa, samba, and so much more. THAT'S what they had been doing all those nights. They evidently were regular winners in local contests. I had no idea...

I guess its in my blood, but I've never learned to ballroom dance.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Bruno and Carrie Ann might give high marks for that (in fact Carrie Ann might start saying 'oh, that was so vulnerable....and beautiful' and get all choked up), but I doubt Len would be decieved by such a ruse for a second. No, I'll continue to hang out by the (imaginary) punch bowl not dancing and feeling socially akward..
    I'd be right there with you. The only dance steps I learned is what they taught the football players so they would step on their dates and kill them. Further, the group I hung out with wouldn't have been caught dead in place where people danced. That would have been way too conformist
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ursus, you're beginning to weird me out. Did your parents drop you on your head when you were a little tike and not seek immediate medical assistance?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Dancing is awesome. There is nothing to be self-conscious about. Sit back and watch people dancing. It is a really peculiar thing for human bodies to do. We all look rather odd. Might as well join 'em.

Plus it feels good! I love dancing! Give me some live music and a beer and I pretty much won't stop moving my feet for the entire night.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

"Built-in instruction manual"

Registered
    Sep 1999

I do not dance. In 8th grade, my mother signed me up for a ballroom dancing class, along all three cotillions in the Orlando area, and it was the living hell of my life. Box-step? I'd rather shoot myself. No dancing, ever, not in any circumstance. No way.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I do not dance. In 8th grade, my mother signed me up for a ballroom dancing class, along all three cotillions in the Orlando area, and it was the living hell of my life. Box-step? I'd rather shoot myself. No dancing, ever, not in any circumstance. No way.
    Three years dancing school, two years cotillion. Decades later I realized I don't know left from right. No wonder I suck at dancing. But I did learn the Can Can while out here with Miss Kitty.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I learned the waltz, and other social dances in the 5th and 6th grades.

There was a dress code -
    boys- jacket and ties and leather shoes.
    girls - dresses with sleeves, I want to remember knee lenght; and gloves.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I just polished off some Guiness. Right NOW I am happy to dance and can dance awesomely well.

And now we need some suitable dance music (you can skip ahead to about 2:30 for the good major chord progression changey part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABF7V_jsFzE

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    ...and now we shall dance!

[who had this avatar, today's trivia question on Cyburbia - winner gets a case of rice-a-roni...]

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    ...and now we shall dance!

[who had this avatar, today's trivia question on Cyburbia - winner gets a case of rice-a-roni...]
    None other than dobopoq! I like the herbed wild rice best

We had square dancing in high school and I had a single impromptu 'training' session provided a professional ball room dancer one time at a universtiy social function. That's the extent of my dance expertise
    Last edited by Maister; 22 Mar 2012 at 1:32 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    ursus, you're beginning to weird me out. Did your parents drop you on your head when you were a little tike and not seek immediate medical assistance?
    Ha! When I was growing up, my church did things called "Road Shows". I loved them, and I learned how to dance for those. For a big fella, I gotta say I wasn't bad. OFF TOPIC: I'll bet you $10,000 Mitt Romney knows how to dance because of "Road Shows" when he was a kid.

I do not dance. No way.
    RJ, nobody puts baby in a corner. You better get her out there or somebody else will.....I see JNA is a dancer (I'm not surprised!)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm with you. I have two left feet and no rhythm. Sucks for my other half because he is the king of the meringue.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Give it a try, folks!

You don't know what you're missing. It's not like playing the bassoon...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I can do the mash-potato (I can mash-potato)
    And I can do the twist (I can do the twist)
    I can do the funky chicken (I can do the funky chicken)
    Mmm, do you like it like this (do you like it like this)
    Tell me (tell me)
    Tell me

Do you love me?
    Do you love me?

Thanks to my wife and her sisters, I can also salsa. Though it is not a pretty thing.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I love dancing, all kinds... I wish the hubs did as well, he just likes the dance club kind of dancing, which we are probably too old to do now, anyway.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    I love dancing, all kinds... I wish the hubs did as well, he just likes the dance club kind of dancing, which we are probably too old to do now, anyway.
    Yes I am starting to feel a bit too old for that myself. I've never been as fond of dance club music as other varieties anyway, so I don't mind.
    A great solution my wife and I have found ... or actually that I have found since I can rarely get MW to dance with me.... is going to Irish pubs! Celtic music is particularly fun to dance to and the ambience is perfect for 30- and 40-somethings looking to shake their booty.
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The slow firing
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 01 Dec 2010, 10:04 AM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last post: 26 Jun 2008, 9:26 PM