Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most Embarrassing Music You Have in Your Collection

Most Embarrassing Music You Have in Your Collection

Ok-time to come clean. What is the most embarrassing music you have in your collection-disco, Men Without Hats? Since I started this thread, I'll be the first. I have a John Denver greatest hits cd. Bought from Cracker Barrel to make it worse.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have an embarassment of riches in this department. I will post several times on this thread as they occur to me.

I used to have the Men Without Hats tape (in addition to 'Safety Dance' had 'Antactica' and 'China' on it)

off the top of my head:
    Rick Springfield 'Working Class Dog' album (vinyl)
    Soft Cell 'The Art of Falling Apart' (tape)
    Abba's Greatest hits (CD)
    (long forgotten Canadian progressive rockers) Saga 'Worlds Apart' album (vinyl)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Don't have a cd player at home or in car, so no need to spend money on any collection.
    Don't have a record player or a 8 track either.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Boxcar Willie '20 Great Tracks' (tape)
    Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits (vinyl)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    *shudder*

Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway

*shudder*
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have a Debbie Gibson cassette tape...

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Hmmmm. Not much to be embarrassed about. Enigma, maybe?

The first tape I ever owned was Huey Lewis and the News: Fore. I didn't buy that one, however. It was a gift when I was 11.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ace of Base Anyone?
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I have an album of banjo music. Just a couple guys playing a bunch of tunes on banjos.

Know the definition of "perfect pitch"?

When you throw a banjo in a dumpster and don't hit the sides!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2004
    ABBA's Greatest Hits - purchased!

Bee Gees Greatest Hits - purchased!

Soundtrack to Grease - purchased!

P!nk - Mizzunderstood - gift. Some good songs, but a couple of stinkers, too.

Vanessa Williams - something Star (Christmas music) - gift.

I purged a lot of discs after uploading to my Ipod a while back. Kept discs to play in the car, etc, but cleaned out all those that had only one or 2 songs I liked. Borrow a lot of CD's from the library, upload what I like, then return the disc. Keeps the hoarding tendencies at bay.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits (vinyl)
    I have this too. Inherited it from my brother. My most embarassing is probably Air Supply. I know, I know.

I'm going to go home and get Lost In Love, baby. Nothing like having the Air Supply cranking when you pull up to the light and forget the window is down.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    ABBA's Greatest Hits - purchased!
    Guilty as charged. However, I don't consider that the most embarassing music on my ipod. I have my kid's Big Time Rush album there. Ugh!

Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I have a Debbie Gibson cassette tape...
    I have her magazine appearance!
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 200,000 people with a 99% happiness rating!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Ace of Base Anyone?
    I actually used to have The Sign CD. I got it when I was like 7 or 8. At some point in my teens, I threw it away in embarrassment. Now I'm nostalgic for my childhood and kind of miss it...wish I still had it.

There are a handful of CDs in my collection that might raise a few eyebrows, considering I'm a 25 y.o. male. I have three Michael Jackson CDs, three Britney Spears CDs, two Prince CDs, a Madonna CD, a Carpenters CD, and a Shania Twain CD. Sorry, pop music is my guilty pleasure.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have a tape of whatever album this song was on

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Submitted for your approval.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Submitted for your approval.

Nothing to be embarrassed about by Whip Smart. I have it as well (as well as several other of Liz's albums). We're just not the target demographic.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I wouldn't be embarrassed by No Doubt or Liz Phair, because I basically grew up with the music and I'm a chic

Just a Girl is great song (not to bring politics into this thread, but its particularly relevant with the goings-on lately)
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Yeah, I agree. Nothing to be embarrassed about with Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt. That is a great album. I also have it, and didn't think to include it as embarrassing.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Marty Robbins. El Paso

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Not embarrassing, just different:

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I actually used to have The Sign CD. I got it when I was like 7 or 8. At some point in my teens, I threw it away in embarrassment. Now I'm nostalgic for my childhood and kind of miss it...wish I still had it.
    I built my whole HS commencement speech around that song. Only my buddy and I knew about it.. he couldn't stop laughing.

"Sometimes we see the sign, and it opens our eyes. Life is so demanding, without understanding, but remember, no one is gonna drag you into the light where you belong."
    "The question is, where do you belong?"
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Bump

I've been going thru my CDs and trying to decide what to burn and what to get rid of altogether. Came across Madonna, Asia, New World Order, Snake Oil Medicine Show & Symphony of Led Zepplin (rearrangements of LZ music played by a symphony). I have no idea where these came from and there are about a dozen others too.

It's funny when you look back at times in your life and say to yourself "What the hell was I thinking?"
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Having burned much of my music from CDs including those obtained at the local library, I have accumulated an impressive collection of the worst music ever to be hits. The "Greatest Hits of 19XX" may have songs like The Allman Brother's Ramblin' Man and Glen Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy; Dionne Warwick's Walk on By and Paper Lace's The Night Chicago Died. Someday I am going to compile a CD of the worst songs on my computer and use it to torcher loved ones.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    "Sweet Victory" from the Spongebob Squarepants soundtrack. It is actually a good parody of 80's sports movie songs.

The traditional Slovak accordian song "Tuta Helpa." (My daughter used it for a project on Slovakia.)

Edit: The most embarrassing song I want in my collection is the funky "12" song from Sesame Street in the 1970's. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Twe-e-e-e-e-e-elve!"

Registered
    May 2005
    I would never be embarrassed by anything I have or listen to. I'm very eclectic in my tastes.

The fact that I have Radiohead, Zeppelin, Mettalica, Elton John, Wu-Tang Clan and Boston, allows to me have something like the Backstreet Boys and Carly Rae Jepsen.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jul 2012, 4:42 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 24 Aug 2008, 10:42 AM
  3. Embarrassing Family Holiday Moments
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Mar 2008, 3:02 PM
  4. Embarrassing drunk tales