Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need Help! Any book good for me to understand zoning ordinance better?

Registered
    Feb 2008

Need Help! Any book good for me to understand zoning ordinance better?

I am an international student. I am reading about zoning ordinances and I have trouble understanding some of them. I don't know how to improve my English. For example, it is very hard for me to understand the following:

"If a definitive plan, or a preliminary plan followed within seven months by a definitive plan, is submitted to a planning board for approval under the subdivision control law, and written notice of such submission has been given to the city clerk before the effective date of ordinance, the land shown on such plan shall be governed by the applicable provisions of the zoning ordinance, if any, in effect a the time of the first such submission while such plan or plans are being processed under the subdivision control law, and, if such definitive plan or an amendment thereof is a finally approved, for eight years from the date of the endorsement of such approval, except in the case where such plan was submitted or submitted and approved before January first 1976, for seven years from the date of the first endorsement of such approval."

Does anyone have suggestions for me? I need to learn how to understand such things. Is there any book good for me to start with?

Thank you....

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here is a classic -

Citizen's Guide to Zoning by Herbert H. Smith
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Here is a classic -

Citizen's Guide to Zoning by Herbert H. Smith
    Thank you! I will look for it in the library. In the mean time, I just want to say that I understand most of the jargons in the example I gave. What I can't understand is the way it talks. It confuses me... But I will start from the classic.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    One thing I sometimes do when trying to understand some of the very long complex sentences with multiple clauses commonly found in zoning ordinances is to see how the sentence reads when all the various clauses (you know, the parts of the sentence between commas and/or conjunctions) are removed from the sentence and then re-read it again introducing one clause at a time and see how the addition of each clause changes the meaning of the sentence.

"If a definitive plan, or a preliminary plan followed within seven months by a definitive plan, is submitted to a planning board for approval under the subdivision control law, and written notice of such submission has been given to the city clerk before the effective date of ordinance, the land shown on such plan shall be governed by the applicable provisions of the zoning ordinance, if any, in effect at the time of the first such submission while such plan or plans are being processed under the subdivision control law, and, if such definitive plan or an amendment thereof is finally approved, for eight years from the date of the endorsement of such approval, except in the case where such plan was submitted or submitted and approved before January first 1976, for seven years from the date of the first endorsement of such approval."
    These types of sentences can be very difficult for even native english speakers to understand. Good luck!
    Last edited by Maister; 05 Mar 2014 at 9:36 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    One thing I sometimes do when trying to understand some of the very long complex sentences with multiple clauses commonly found in zoning ordinances is to see how the sentence reads when all the various clauses (you know, the parts of the sentence between commas and/or conjunctions) are removed from the sentence and then re-read it again introducing one clause at a time and see how the addition of each clause changes the meaning of the sentence.

These types of sentences can be very difficult for even native english speakers to understand. Good luck!
    Wow, this helps a lot! Thank you so much Maister!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Need a good GIS book
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 7:55 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Mar 2008, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jan 2008, 10:31 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Jan 2008, 3:12 PM