Urban planning community

Poll results: What style of music are you drawn to?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classical

7 17.50%
  • Jazz

12 30.00%
  • Folk

9 22.50%
  • Country

6 15.00%
  • World Music

5 12.50%
  • Electronic

6 15.00%
  • Punk Rock

13 32.50%
  • Classic Rock

16 40.00%
  • Hiphop

4 10.00%
  • Rap

2 5.00%
  • Heavy Stuff

9 22.50%
  • 20s-50's "oldies" music

2 5.00%
  • 60's hippy people music

11 27.50%
  • 70's disco dancer music

2 5.00%
  • 80's eyeliner and animal print people music

7 17.50%
  • 90's grundge and indy rock scene

16 40.00%
  • 00's whatever that stuff is

8 20.00%
  • Space Age Bachelor Pad Music

4 10.00%
  • I march to a beat of a different drummer

7 17.50%
  • What? I cannot believe you missed...

7 17.50%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What style of music are you most drawn to?

Registered
    Nov 2009

What style of music are you most drawn to?

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Ah, the City of Brotherly Love. I knew I wanted to feature a Dead Milkman song link at lunch today but didn't want to do the overly familiar 'Punk Rock Girl' that everyone has already heard. So it was either Bitchin Camaro or Surfin' Cow and Surfin Cow won out.

As bands go I'd say I'm spiritually paired with the Dead Milkmen more than anyone else.

(EDIT: hmmm I wonder if a 'what band are you spiritually paired with?' thread is viable. You know, if some intrepid soul started one I would probably contribute)
    Identifying a specific band can be difficult for most people and probably would change over time, so I have broadened our scope to styles of music and have removed the word "spiritual" since some of us don't believe in souls but still love music with all our heart and random-agglomeration-of-subatomic-particles-that-make-us-conscious-and-alive-and-no-one-understands-at-this-time (ahihihi).

(poll coming - there is a max of 20 options so pardon me if your nonsoul-pairing isn't listed)

edit: you can select more than one poll option btw!

edit2: as for specific bands for me, I would have to say Stereolab, Bjork, Radiohead, and Andrew Bird are the most consistent.
    Last edited by TerraSapient; 14 Mar 2012 at 4:06 PM. Reason: I need some help with the poll...
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I like all kinds of stuff. Being a piano player myself, I'm very drawn to piano-laden music generally: Billy Joel, the Fray, Ben Folds, Jackson Browne, etc. Also big big into Justin Currie (formerly Del Amitri). I always have to plug the Del Amitri.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Nov 2009
    ooo yes! I love the piano as well ursus. I should have added options for different instrumental influences. Oh well.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    Growing up it was classic rock all the way for me. In HS I started listening to some more alternative rock bands – some Punk, REM, Talking Heads, Brian Eno. I liked the experimentation and I think the non-mainstreamness of it appealed to me personality.

In college, things took a different turn. I took two Jazz course – one focused on history, the other on musicality – and got really into that as well as related forms like blues, motown, soul, etc. I was also really into the Grateful Dead, something I don’t admit to much these days. In a way, the Dead, with their long drawn out compositions and reinterpretations of their own standards with an emphasis on improvisation, was not all that different from what attracted me to Jazz. Not that they are similar musically, but the approach has some parallels. I’ve long left the Dead behind, but my love affair with Jazz continues. Always. Such a rich form!

I am also a big Zappa fan.

Toward the end of college an up until now, I have developed a great love for African music and most of my listening revolves around those styles. Traditional, contemporary, I just love it. And I am a percussionist, so its as much study as pleasure. Some favs: Ali Farka Toure and a great many artists coming out of Mali now (Djelimady Tounkara, Oumou Sangaré, etc.), Orchestra Baobab, Mlimani Park, Papa Wemba, and so many others.

I also love a great deal of Latin music – salsa, samba, cumbia, etc. I have another degree in Folklore and Folklife which allowed me to dig pretty deep into this stuff. My Masters focused on east African dance and music traditions and I spent almost a year and a half in Uganda. I have close to a hundred dance and music performances archived here. Each playlist contains several videos. We also produced two CDs. It was fun stuff, but you definitely can't make a living off producing it - too small of a market share.

My more mainstream tastes these days are bands like Wilco and Phoenix.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I like Latin American music too!

And Frank Zappa could have been his own category!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Oct 2009
    The majority of the music I listen to is Classic Rock. However, I tend to listen to alot of different styles, like Jazz, Indie Rock, Punk, Trance, etc.. pretty much anything with a solid rhythm. I think it probably stems from my long-term hobby of playing drums.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have no idea what space age bachelor pad music is, but I enthusiastically included it! I have extremely eclectic tastes when it comes to music. About the only genre of music I can't much get into is opera and Chinese 'twangy' folk music (I do however seriously dig on that super low pitched Tibetan chanting stuff - if I ever do another Stanfest I'll demonstrate it on request)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Of course, I'm into the 70s/80s hard rock. Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Metallica, Def Leppard, and Motley Crue are some of the bands that are closest to my soul. But overall, hard rock music just runs through my veins. I love the wild, pump-fisting energy, the great rhythmic foundation, the blistering guitar solos and powerful vocals, and the oversized personalities of the band members and the intense dynamics of the groups.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Eh, I have fairly eclectic tastes in music, but what find myself going back to over and over is usually punk/post-punk/new wave, with some shoegaze and its precursors (stuff I got into during my undergrad years).

Let's dance to Joy Division/ And celebrate the irony
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I guess the best way to describe my tastes would be to peruse the artists currently taking up residence on my iPhone...

A3, The Aquabats, Audioslave, Auf der Maur, Black Label Societ, Bullet for My Valentine, Bush, Counting Crows, The Cult, Danzig, Die Toten Hosen, Dire Straits, Disturbed, The Donnas, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Guns n Roses, Lacuna Coil, Live, Liz Phair, Megadeth, Metallica, Misfits, Pantera, Paramore, A Perfect Circle, Peter Gabriel, Prong, Rammstein, Rise Against, Samhain, Seether, Shinedown, Slayer, System of a Down, Velvet Revolver, Veruca Salt, Weezer, and the Why Store.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2002
    There's nothing much I *don't* like, but usually drawn to fast music with heavy bass lines - hip hop/rap and heavier stuff (Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.) Also listening to a lot of alternative (?) stuff lately - Florence and the Machine, Awolnation, Blue October, etc.)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Beatles, early rap, punk, 80's, classical, Sinatra (et al), rock, motown... pretty diverse. I have two classifications: good and bad. Good includes Long and Winding Road,most Pougues, I wanna be Sedated. Bad? Anything by Bieber.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    My parents weren't real big into music. But my brother was and is 8 years older than me, so I grew up listening to 80s pop music.

When I started buying my own music, it was mostly hip hop. I then started to sprinkle in hard rock/heavy meatal, classic rock, and alternative.

I have an extremely diverse musical collection.

For the record, I picked Classic Rock, Hip Hop, Heavy Stuff, 80s, 90s, and 00s.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Played in band and orchestra through college - love classical music!

Grew up in the 80's and 90's - love power ballads and heavy synthesizers!

Parents listened to "their" music a lot - oldies through the 60's are great!

Add in Latin/fusion guitar - LOVE Jesse Cooke, Armik, etc!

Hubby likes hard rock - add a few in there, too.

Eclectic is a great description of my music collection.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I have no idea what space age bachelor pad music is, but I enthusiastically included it! I have extremely eclectic tastes when it comes to music. About the only genre of music I can't much get into is opera and Chinese 'twangy' folk music (I do however seriously dig on that super low pitched Tibetan chanting stuff - if I ever do another Stanfest I'll demonstrate it on request)
    Space Age Bachelor Pad Music is actually an album by Stereolab. It really nicely sums up exactly how it sounds and, to me, is an excellent classification for similar music styles. Think ambiance meets drum and bass meets jazz meets pop meets the future. It is like modern day Ziggy Stardust but it substitutes all the glitter and spandex for a martini, an overstuffed sofa, and wool socks.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Long ago my older brother told me that the music you listen to in high school and college would be the music you like all of your life. So, being that the mid to late 70s in the Deep South was my musical beginnings, I like Southern rock - Jimmy Buffett, the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Leon Russell, Marshall Tucker and Jerry Jeff Walker. Toss in Jethro Tull, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airman and a healthy smattering of New Orleans favorites (Professor Longhair, Dr. John, the Dixie Cups, etc.) and you have got me pegged.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2010
    As a child I was forced to play musical instruments and as a result I have always had a great appreciation for classical and jazz. I was also very rebellious growing up and some early punk rock like Dead Kennedys/Ramones/Sex Pistols/The Clash were great when I was a kid. I also grew up loving Sublime and Alice in Chains and other kind of heavier grunge styles but since then I've grown out of that genre of music.

Nowadays I'm more of an old fart and love listening to Dylan/The Band, Allman Brothers, Velvet Underground and some of the more folksy indie bands out there like Fleet Foxes, Tallest Man on Earth, The Dodos, etc.

Still, I gotta say Talking Heads and that 80s new wave sound is probably the best thing ever and there are a ton of bands today reviving that style, which I think is great.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    Nowadays I'm more of an old fart and love listening to ....., Velvet Underground and .....
    You know it's interesting how VU has managed to retain a completely unsullied 'Indie' vibe/rep for all these decades. I think a very good case can be made for them being the original prototype 'indie' band.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    Still, I gotta say Talking Heads and that 80s new wave sound is probably the best thing ever and there are a ton of bands today reviving that style, which I think is great.
    To under the appeal of New Wave, you have to understand the gurlge that music had disinegrated into. You had Air Supply, Debbie Boone, The Carpenters, Leo Sayer. New Wave broke from all of that. I had clearer more of electronic sound. Further, you had some of Punk's more rebellious lyrics. You had Devo, Berlin, the Plasmatics, Talking Heads, Art of Noise, The Motels, Cory Hart, etc. All of those bands were a 180 degree turn from the crap that proceded them.

Personally, it's easier to list the styles I don't like: opera, Southern Gospel, Rap. My music ranges from Comtemporary Christian, to Foo Fighters to Linkin Park to Vivaldi to Trisha Yearwood to the soundtrack to Oh Brother, Where Art Thou.

As for music that speaks to me, it really depends. Obviously, Christian speaks to me. I understand the rage of Rage Against the Machine and Punk. By the same token I've got a complete video worked up in my mind for The Great Gate at Kiev. Really, it depends on my mood and what I'm going through at that time.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Oh yeah. The Talking Heads. How did I forget them? I think their film "Stop Making Sense" is one of the best, if not the best, concert films ever made. That big suit cracks me up every time.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Long ago my older brother told me that the music you listen to in high school and college would be the music you like all of your life. ....
    This is a truism that seems to hold for the vast majority of people. It's sad really, there is so much cool music coming out now. I am happy to say that I broke free of that issue! Grew up in the eighties, but I scoure the new releases for the most interesting stuff I can find.

Mostly, if it is dark and twisted (really, listen to Florence and the Machines last album), and less than 3 months old, that is where my RDIO player lives!

Latest:
    Soap and Skin, Narrow
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear checked a number of boxes. I like so many different styles of music. Faithful readers have seen my "Latest Stack Took To The Office" posts on the Random Music thread. Yeah, I was a savage beast but now I am tamed.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I like a lot of different types of music. Electronic, 90s Grunge, 80s New Wave, Female songwriters, and Indie Music has a special place in my heart.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    After a week I can't believe I am still the only one who answered rap.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    After a week I can't believe I am still the only one who answered rap.
    I equate "rap" with most of the stuff that came out from the late 90s to now. I consider rap to be the "little brother" of hip hop.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Jul 2010, 8:30 AM
  2. Software for 'hand drawn' plans?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 11 Sep 2009, 11:09 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jul 2007, 5:09 PM
  4. Replies: 2