Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can someone explain the Hunger Games appeal to me?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    My 13 yo read it and then went to it last night - I find it all disturbing so I didn't go...

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Flash back to 7th grade literary arts: Just because something has a basis in science fiction doesn't negate that there are still very real themes held throughout. And in my junior high school career decades past, I quickly learned that the more apt you were at finding the subtle but strong themes, the higher your book report grade was.

To me, the books didn't ignore class segregation or some very poignant moments about poverty. If you only saw the movies, you missed most of this. The first few chapters of the book focus on life for a young girl trying to raise her younger sister in poverty. Hunting, bartering, working, living with little to no food, dirty clothing. If they didn't give you the intro on the Districts and the preceding war, this could have been anywhere USA. These aren't fictional themes and are unfortunately very present for many youngsters in America. The movie itself didn't go into this, but the books detail how the poorest of families could submit extra lottery entries in exchange for extra rations of food and supplies. Poorer families taking greater risks with less security? Not a fictional theme either. I won't even touch the obvious communistic themes, which are also not fictional.

Getting deeper into the books (again, not really movie as I think they overlooked this in order to get their PG13 rating)- the moral compass. Could you kill a 12 year old in order to stay alive yourself? No, of course that's not a question most people ever having to find themselves asking, but each of us at some point in our life faces at least a lower level of debate between self-preservation and sacrifice.

All that analysis aside, the books are a quick read and were fully worthy of the hours of my time I spent with them. I'd much rather a teen girl read these than the Twilight books which have teenagers having sex with vampires to produce vampire babies.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ThePinkPlanner View post

All that analysis aside, the books are a quick read and were fully worthy of the hours of my time I spent with them. I'd much rather a teen girl read these than the Twilight books which have teenagers having sex with vampires to produce vampire babies.
    Well said Pink!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Really getting alot of press around here with a majority of the filming done in these parts.

Many of the outdorr scenes were shot about 30 minutes WSW of us.
    Here's a little slideshow of the town where much of the filming was done: Hunger Games Tourism: Visit Scenic District 12 in North Carolina

And another article with some more slides: North Carolina's 'Hunger Games' film sites new tourist hot spot
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I saw this last night with my wife, who read the books, and several other couples. She was disappointed it wasn't like the books. My feelings, and I have not read any of the books, was that they should have dropped the sci-fi futuristic part and just had people battle to the death in today's world. The fact that they controlled the sunlight and could insert monsters into the battlefield made it rather silly. All of the men agreed that gladiator was a much better movie. Most of the women thought the books were better.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Zoning Planning permit appeal
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Sep 2011, 9:37 AM
  2. AICP appeal process
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 May 2009, 12:25 PM
  3. Zoning appeal: standing?