Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cal Poly SLO vs Cal Poly Pomona vs Portland State

Registered
    Mar 2012

Cal Poly SLO vs Cal Poly Pomona vs Portland State

HELP!

I've been accepted to all three universities all under a planning major. But now i'm stuck in choosing which to go to. I don't know which college would be better for city planning.

Here is what I already sort of know:

-For cal poly SLO, I know its one of the highest ranked state schools in California, but its also located in a really suburban area, so i'm worried about the lack of real world experience.

-For cal poly Pomona, its not as high ranked a SLO is so i'm worried that the educational value might be lower, but its also closer to LA

-For Portland State, i really like Oregon's environment and its green friendly persona as well as the college's placement in the middle of the city, providied I could get a lot of first hand experience. However i'm worried about the enormous out of state tuition and the colleges low graduation rate.

Any insight on the matter would be much appreciated

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Instate Tuition ?
    Relocation / Living Costs ?
    Many of us no longer live in the same town/state we went to school in.
    As long as the school is accredited (same core classes), then the question is the concentrations / electives offered in program or outside it.
    Do you like / enjoy the feel / atmosphere of the school / town ?
    Which program offers the better internship placement / experience ?

And we have have said it count less times before -

Do not go into debt over a name for the above mentioned reasons.

Should this become a sticky on any school selection question ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dmatano360 View post
    HELP!

t its also located in a really suburban area, so i'm worried about the lack of real world experience.

- but its also closer to LA

- However i'm worried about the enormous out of state tuition and the colleges low graduation rate.

)
    As stated, debt is bad. Your studio in SLO or LA will be the same value to an employer. SLO has some of the finest weather on the planet. Portland does not. They do good work up there but I don't know why you'd take on that debt to be in a profession with a huge backlog of applicants for few jobs.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dmatano360 View post
    HELP!

I've been accepted to all three universities all under a planning major. But now i'm stuck in choosing which to go to. I don't know which college would be better for city planning.

Here is what I already sort of know:

-For cal poly SLO, I know its one of the highest ranked state schools in California, but its also located in a really suburban area, so i'm worried about the lack of real world experience.

-For cal poly Pomona, its not as high ranked a SLO is so i'm worried that the educational value might be lower, but its also closer to LA

-For Portland State, i really like Oregon's environment and its green friendly persona as well as the college's placement in the middle of the city, providied I could get a lot of first hand experience. However i'm worried about the enormous out of state tuition and the colleges low graduation rate.

Any insight on the matter would be much appreciated
    Debt = bad for a profession with a large backlog of newly minted jobless graduates. SLO is not in a suburban area, it is just a small town when compared with the LA/Bay Area/San Diego/Sacramento metro regions. Both schools require internships, and Cal Poly does projects (grad studio level) that have clients that are municipalities. My current employer happens to be involved in one of their spring quarter projects (i am serving as an adviser to the students).

Before you jump in to any of these schools ask yourself?

1. What do you plan to do after graduation?
    2. What kind of "planning" to you want to do i.e. career track?
    3. What kind of financial aid package have you been offered?
    4. Do you intend to stick around in California after graduation (assuming you are a resident because you mentioned out of state tuition for PSU)
    4. Why is the end of this rope to this cinder block attached to your penis?
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    .......4. Why is the end of this rope to this cinder block attached to your penis?
    Because there is no macy*s?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 34
    Last post: 16 Jan 2011, 7:09 PM
  2. Cal Poly Pomona
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 7:10 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 5:16 AM