Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: U of Oregon waiting list/ National Guard paying for grad school

Registered
    Mar 2009

U of Oregon waiting list/ National Guard paying for grad school

My one and only choice for grad school was at the PPPM at U. of Oregon. I just got a letter saying I am on the waiting list and will not hear anything until May 15. Does anyone know the usual % chances you get in to a school if you get put on the waiting list? This is definitely not a definite choice, but I am thinking about re-joining the Oregon National Guard as an officer, which would pay for most of graduate school, but I need to know if I got in before I make this commitment. Thanks for the feedback.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Unfortunately I don't think there's any way you can know. Depends on your position on the list and whether the program can secure additional student slots. My guess is they're waiting on the latter because of the date. If that's the issue, I don't even think the school can give you your chances. If they can secure more slots, I'd imagine you'd have a good chance of getting in though since most people on the wait list have probably committed to other schools by that point.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by designNdirt View post
    My one and only choice for grad school was at the PPPM at U. of Oregon. I just got a letter saying I am on the waiting list and will not hear anything until May 15. Does anyone know the usual % chances you get in to a school if you get put on the waiting list? This is definitely not a definite choice, but I am thinking about re-joining the Oregon National Guard as an officer, which would pay for most of graduate school, but I need to know if I got in before I make this commitment. Thanks for the feedback.
    As former military myself, I want to encourage you with school and let you know there are others of us out there pursuing planning studies. I was accepted at U. of Oregon but will be turning it down as I dont want to pay out of state tuition (im in CA), so in a perfect world they can just give my spot to you right?!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by NoMT1984 View post
    As former military myself, I want to encourage you with school and let you know there are others of us out there pursuing planning studies. I was accepted at U. of Oregon but will be turning it down as I dont want to pay out of state tuition (im in CA), so in a perfect world they can just give my spot to you right?!
    Ha! I hope so. So where did you end up going to grad school? What Cali schools have Grad Planning programs, USC, Cal Poly, Berkeley? Does UC Davis have a program?

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by designNdirt View post
    Ha! I hope so. So where did you end up going to grad school? What Cali schools have Grad Planning programs, USC, Cal Poly, Berkeley? Does UC Davis have a program?
    Yes there are a lot of top notch graduate planning programs here in California. Although UC Davis is a fantastic school, they do not have a graduate planning program. The other UC schools that have programs are UCLA, Berkeley, and UCI. Other CA programs include USC, Cal Poly SLO, Cal Poly Pomona and San Jose State. There are several other programs that lack accreditation, such as San Diego State and San Francisco State (undergrad only).

I will be going to Cal Poly SLO this fall. Although I was accepted into several other programs both in state and out of state I feel that Cal Poly is the best fit for me. I live here in SLO, so I dont have to move. My other reasons are that it is an insanely good value for in state tuition, and being housed in a top tier architecture school they have a strong emphasis in design which is important to me.

Have you applied to any programs here or are you trying to stay in Oregon?

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I want to stay here in Oregon. I am from Louisiana originally though. Yes, SLO is a very cool place and I am quite fond of the city. I lived in Cali with my girlfriend and practiced Landscape Architecture before I moved to Portland 5 years ago. She went to SLO for Landscape Arch and I visited quite often. Drive thru's are banned!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 23 Feb 2008, 12:04 PM
  2. Paying for graduate school
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 4:15 PM
  3. CFFL Waiting List
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 2:02 PM