Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I will always make the Chicken Salad...

Registered
    Dec 2008

I will always make the Chicken Salad...

One of my children refuses to eat any sandwich for her lunch that is not chicken salad. My wife hates the smell of chicken salad - especially at 7:00 a.m. So, I make the lunches. I always have. No matter what happens in the morning, no matter if I'm sick, no matter what...I make that chicken salad and pack those lunches.

So this is my response to all the times I've been told I don't love her, I don't appreciate her, I don't say what I feel: I will always make that chicken salad. So please, don't tell me what I do and don't feel.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

So Cyburbians, what do you do or have you done for the people you love that they don't realize? Please feel free to VENT right here! I know I'm not alone...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Funny, you should start this thread. Just yesterday I was thinking about odd ways we show our love to our family. I was thinking this when I sat down to Sunday breakfast and ate yet another plate of fried eggs and corned beef hash that was slightly above room temperature. I prepared the food, and to the individual specifications of both wife and son. I set the table and refilled my son's glass of milk, all before I got to eat my breakfast.

Love means you are the last one who gets to eat the breakfast you prepared and likely when your time comes, it is cold.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Very true, both of you. I love to cook, but it does usually mean I get the last and coldest.

Last year, I was the lunch maker. This year, its the wife's turn. So, for that one, we're tit for tat. The things I do? I am always the one to clean the kitchen before bed (and that seems only fair if she is going to make early morning lunches, but alo I just hate a messy kitchen), I am the only one who seems to put all the shoes in the house away where they belong every day (my daughter alone seems to leave every single shoe she owns in some dark corner on a regular basis). I am the one who cleans the car (inside and out) and cleans the floors of the house. Also, the one thet usually walks the dog - twice a day. I am usually the one to wash my daughter's hair, too. Of course there are plenty of things I don't do, too, but this thread isn't about those things...

My wife and I have a way to address these little things. When they become too much, or you are just frustrated at having to do them or not getting your due, here is what you say:

"I know its not a contest, hon, but if it were, I would win..."

That's usually enough to solicit some help or at least appreciation. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a contest to win...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My other half makes me coffee and breakfast every morning without fail, even if he's gotten up in the middle of the night with the baby. The funny thing is that he does not like to eat breakfast.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2002
    I make my kid's lunch too. A while ago, he decided he just liked peanut butter, no jelly. Made my life easier, and cheaper too.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    This is a fun game. Honestly, I think MW would win the contest. She is amazing. She does all sorts of regular everyday things that drive me crazy. I try not to take that for granted or to take advantage.

Example: I hate walking the dogs 3 times per day. Just loathe it. It isn't the walking of the dogs I don't like. It is our current abode. You cannot walk down the street without half a dozen weirdos either shrieking in terror or trying to pet my dog while it is doing a number 2. It makes me crazy. MW does it now. All three times per day! As a trade, I do the dishes. She is so awesome.

I bow to her superiority in being a partner in life.
    Occupy Your Brain!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I will always clean the bathroom(s) so Mrs. Tranplanner doesn't have to deal with the wet hairs stuck in the drain and the side of the shower (hers, mostly), kill the various bugs which make it into the house (and which the cat doesn't claim first) and take care of the bills.

Registered
    May 2005
    I always pick up the dog crap.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I always do the laundry (unless the kid and I are out of town for more than a few days) so RJ doesn't have to figure out how to wash my stuff (hand-washables, machine-washables but no dryer, etc) or washes something in the wrong way. I also aways scoop the cat litter; he's not a cat person, and, of course, they are actually my cats (all recovering from their sickness over the weekend; oh yeah, I always clean up kitty barf...).

I like to read the paper first thing every morning, so when I would visit up here, he would run out and get me a paper before I even woke up. Since I moved in, and got a paper subscription here, he's brought me a cold Diet Dew and the paper every single morning unless he's out of town. I never asked; he just does it.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My husband can't stand the sight of blood. Doesn't matter if it's human or dog, he backs away faster than a blink of the eye (however, he loves to watch horror/suspense movies - I guess fake blood is different).

Anyway, as a result I deal with any blood issues. So far that's been mostly dogs (more than once for each of them), but it could lead to human as well as we age.

I will always clean up the blood, take the pet(s) to the vet to deal with the bloody issue, and also be the first on the scene for pick-up after the vet cleans them up/stictches them up/etc. This has lead to me, by default, also always dealing with dog crap, dog pills, dog kibble, dog treats and dog park trips. Not always a bad deal, but sometimes it can be extremely stressful (think dog tail self-amputation, and you know one issue I've had to deal with ).

In exchange, he will always deal with heavy yard work, computer issues and household budgeting. Works for us.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I always pick up the dog crap.
    The smell of the litter box makes my husband retch, so I always clean the litter box. He always picks up the dog crap in the yard -- which, for some reason, doesn't bother him. It works well for us.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I will always do all the barbecuing. This is mans work and is dangerous with the fire and heat. The fairer sex must maintain a safe distance.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I will always do all the barbecuing. This is mans work and is dangerous with the fire and heat. The fairer sex must maintain a safe distance.
    Looks like we have to roast RJ ladies.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Get back in the kitchen and rattle those pots and pans!

Bear

Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Guess it's a good thing I can't get pregnant, and don't like to go barefoot.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I will always enable his electronics perfectionism/OCD… helping to check for dead pixels, agreeing that one corner of the screen is brighter than the rest even though it’s highly likely I’m imagining it, listening for a barely audible hum coming from one speaker, dropping off the latest return at UPS, listening to the latest dealings with customer service. In all fairness, in exchange I get to use a pretty cool home theater setup.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm sorry but when I saw this thread into my mind popped the Neil Diamond/Barbara Streiesand duet 'You Dont Bring Me Flowers Anymore'
    except the words start something like:
    N: You don't make the chicken salad
    B: You never put the seat down
    N: You never put the cap on the toothpaste
    B: You never call to say youre working late
    N: You spend nights watching 'Twilight'
    B: You spend all weekend golfing....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I will always ask you how your day was, then listen as you tell me in excruciating detail a day that was pretty much the same as the day before. And when you ask me how my day was, I will always say "It was okay." Because you really don't want to know and I don't want to relive it.

And I will act astonished at the incredibly low price you tell me you paid for your shoes (or skirt, or blouse, etc.).
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I will always ask you how your day was, then listen as you tell me in excruciating detail a day that was pretty much the same as the day before. And when you ask me how my day was, I will always say "It was okay." Because you really don't want to know and I don't want to relive it.

And I will act astonished at the incredibly low price you tell me you paid for your shoes (or skirt, or blouse, etc.).
    And that sir, is the secret to a marriage lasting. I play out the same thing every single day.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I will always sit in the middle seat on airplanes.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I will always sit in the middle seat on airplanes.
    Ha, me too! My kid doesn't want to sit next to anyone he doesn't know. RJ appreciates that I can be the "small person" buffer between him and anyone big he might have territorial issues with (at least I think that's why he never volunteers to take the middle seat...).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Salad days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Oct 2013, 4:57 PM
  2. Ham salad anyone?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Mar 2008, 4:40 PM
  3. Tuna Salad
    Friday Afternoon Club