Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Getting a job in real estate development

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Getting a job in real estate development

I will be applying for a job in RE development but was wondering how to successfully transition from planning into this and how I might format my resume to bring out specific work examples. Everything I've read online says to quantify as much as possible but I'm not sure how to do that as a planner without any supervisory roles. Has anyone had success doing this? Thanks.

Registered
    May 2005
    I would need to see the job description to give you more detailed suggestions, but the first thing that comes to mind is that planners can be very useful in stewarding a development project through all of the various reviews with the City/County. In this scenario, you would essentially serve as the development company’s “agent” (except that you would be paid staff). This would involve meeting with City staff, preparing applications, resolving issues, addressing revisions, conditions, etc. There may also be a role for a planner to work with local communities. Requirements for informing local impacted communities vary from one municipality to another, so this could be anything from writing a letter to all the surrounding neighborhood associations to actually presenting the project to those communities. Or, if its really a responsible developer, doing a design process together with a local community. If the project needs City Council (or similar) approval, you could be the agent to present there as well.

Again, it depends on what they are looking for and what your specialties might be (environmental, transportation – those roles for a developer seem pretty straightforward to me – helping to address those issues as they relate to the development of a particular project)

To quantify, think about how many plans you have reviewed or projects worked on or years worked, or all of the above. Also include if you moved up at all in your position to more responsibility (even if it wasn't a title change).
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by paiste13 View post
    I will be applying for a job in RE development but was wondering how to successfully transition from planning into this and how I might format my resume to bring out specific work examples. Everything I've read online says to quantify as much as possible but I'm not sure how to do that as a planner without any supervisory roles. Has anyone had success doing this? Thanks.
    I would pound how many permit apps I looked at and how wonderful that has made me, in addition to my math skills and also I've worked on long-range plans, if I didn't have any of that in school (which it sounds like since you didn't list your qualifications). You'll have many, many applications to compete with, so play up permitting and how to get it through.

-------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    You need to understand real estate finance. Planning theory and successful navigation of the real estate entitlement (planning, site approval, zoning) will not alone lead you to a job with a real estate developer. Grab some reading material from ULI.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jamesrouse View post
    You need to understand real estate finance. Planning theory and successful navigation of the real estate entitlement (planning, site approval, zoning) will not alone lead you to a job with a real estate developer. Grab some reading material from ULI.
    THIS. A knowledge of real estate finance is HUGE. Take some classes on it. Read some materials from ULI, ICSC, etc. Learn about lease terms, leasing strategies, band of investments, equity and leverage. Really brush up on excel and learn how to prepare a proper pro forma. If you become an expert at those things you have a much better chance of getting a foot in the door when combined with your other skills.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Breaking into real estate development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Nov 2010, 4:06 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 3:52 PM
  3. Big-time real estate development jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6