Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Got my BA in Urban Planning in 2010, can't land any work, HELP! Ideas??

Registered
    Mar 2012

Got my BA in Urban Planning in 2010, can't land any work, HELP! Ideas??

I got my BA in Urban Planning from SFSU in 2010. Since then I was laid off from my job of 9 years (it was in health care) and haven't found ANY work beyond a coffee shop. I am now in my mid 30s and am terrified I won't ever transition into the field of Urban Planning. I've been applying for internships with no responses. Two weeks ago I actually got a call back from a very respected research association in the Bay Area but I seemed to have "flubbed" the interview. I am not getting ANYWHERE.

I'm in desperate need of advice, direction, ideas....anything. I'm spinning my wheels, making horrible money and paying off my student loans. I seem incapable of networking here (San Francisco) and find that the competition here is fierce and I just want a way IN. I'm absolutely willing to start at the bottom (internship, paid or unpaid) but the competition for these is intimidating as well.

I'm at a loss. I would love to go to graduate school for a Masters in Community/Regional Planning (with either a focus in economic development or housing/land use planning). While in college I was planning on going to grad school but now that I'm up to my eye balls in student loan debt and unable to find work I'm rethinking the idea. I'm not sure I even have what it takes to get into a Masters Program.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cities that need planners, affordable schools, ideas for networking?

Thanks

*bangs head against wall*

Registered
    Aug 2001
    First, welcome from a northern California native transplanted to the Florida panhandle.

Second, if you're been reading through the threads, the job market for planners is dismal.

Third, cast your net wide for any and all job opportunities.

Fourth, I'm a CSUS system grad and SFSU did not have the best planning program reputation.

Fifth, you may need to re-purpose yourself.

My two cents.

Best of luck.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2012

thanks

It's unfortunate that I went to a sub-par college but alas....I did. I suppose my mediocre (and it really is, I'm not offended) education is not helping me in my look for work. I feel as though my undergrad will hinder me in my grad-school applications too.

What I'm trying to do is gain any experience and exposure in Urban Planning/Policy/Research that I can and am looking for some solid advice as to how I can make the best of what I have.

Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Mar 2013, 12:43 AM
  2. Masters in urban planning but can't find work
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 24 Feb 2012, 5:52 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 02 Jul 2009, 8:38 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Dec 2008, 4:41 AM