Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Minor league baseball thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

The Minor league baseball thread

The Blue Wahoos, an affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, has built a new minor league stadium over in Pensacola. I'm keeping an eye on their schedule and maybe get over there for a couple of games this summer. Flaefest anyone?

http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t4124

Moderator note:
    Maister: split from RTDNTOTO
    Last edited by Maister; 28 Mar 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    The Blue Wahoos, an affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, has built a new minor league stadium over in Pensacola. I'm keeping an eye on their schedule and maybe get over there for a couple of games this summer. Flaefest anyone?

http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t4124
    What Level are they? Around my area are the Dayton Dragons, the Reds AAA affiliate, and of course the actual Reds....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    What Level are they? Around my area are the Dayton Dragons, the Reds AAA affiliate, and of course the actual Reds....
    Dayton may be AA, but the Louisville Bats are the Reds' AAA franchise and just up and across the Ohio River from hereabouts. Lovely stadium, too.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Dayton may be AA, but the Louisville Bats are the Reds' AAA franchise and just up and across the Ohio River from hereabouts. Lovely stadium, too.
    I saw a couple of 'bats games when I was in the area, it is a nice stadium and right down town.. I also saw a redbirds game back when the games were at the fairgrounds.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    hink - when did the Dragons go from low-A to AAA? Went to a DD game in 2005.
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Just did a quick google and went to the Dayton Dragons website. They are still the Class A afilliate of the Reds.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I saw a couple of 'bats games when I was in the area, it is a nice stadium and right down town.. I also saw a redbirds game back when the games were at the fairgrounds.
    They have officially gone from being the RiverBats to just Bats. Being the old fart that I am, I have to pause to remember that every time I mention/write the name.

I saw quite a few RedBirds games at the old Fairgrounds Stadium (UofL football there, too). Went to an AAA All Star game there with the Indiana SHPO's architect around '91 or '92. Can you say schmoozer?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Love minor league baseball. Go to a few NH Fisher Cats games every year (try to catch them when they play the Red Sox's AA affiliate the Portland Sea Dogs). Great stadium, good tix prices and far more affordable than the trek to Fenway.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I grew up watching the Tucson Toros who were the AAA affliate for the Astros as a child. Minor league baseball is always fun...I would rather go to a AAA game than a major league game. The compitition is not as good but they play harder, the stadium atmosphere is great, the ticket prices are reasonable and the people watching alone is worth the price of admission.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am not a sports fan. But my son loves baseball. And I do enjoy taking him to the minor league baseball games. The ticket prices are reasonable, though the concessions are expensive. I enjoy the promotional events - the cardboard horse race, the huge fuzzy dice roll, etc. The players are very nice to the kids - signing autographs and talking with them after the game.

And people still talk about a player who played for a now-defunct local minor league team who went on to have a musical career - Charlie Pride.

And it is nice to sit in the stands at the end of the day and watch the game and the sunset.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Just did a quick google and went to the Dayton Dragons website. They are still the Class A afilliate of the Reds.
    I am an idiot, that is when they went up...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Class A baseball is tough to watch IMO. At least at the AA and AAA levels you'll see a decent about of prospects.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Class A baseball is tough to watch IMO. At least at the AA and AAA levels you'll see a decent about of prospects.
    The Dragons have had a pretty high level of turn over, but that is mostly because the players are moving up.

A pretty good number of players have made the majors...
    • Joey Votto (2003–2004)
    • Homer Bailey (2005)
    • Johnny Cueto (2006)
    • Jay Bruce (2006)
    • Drew Stubbs (2007)

With one being the National League MVP...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The Dragons have had a pretty high level of turn over, but that is mostly because the players are moving up.

A pretty good number of players have made the majors...
    • Joey Votto (2003–2004)
    • Homer Bailey (2005)
    • Johnny Cueto (2006)
    • Jay Bruce (2006)
    • Drew Stubbs (2007)

With one being the National League MVP...
    Do you think Sean Marshall will be an adequate fill-in for Ryan Madsen as closer? I didn't know Madsen was done for the year when I drafted him in my fantasy baseball league.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Do you think Sean Marshall will be an adequate fill-in for Ryan Madsen as closer? I didn't know Madsen was done for the year when I drafted him in my fantasy baseball league.
    Simple answer no. Madsen was paid big dollars to fill that roll... Marshall isn't Madsen.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Just up the road from me is Fifth Third Bank Ballpark (formerly Elfstrom Stadium), home of the Kane County Cougars of Geneva, IL, a far western suburb of Chicago in the heart of the Fox Valley. It's a beautiful 7,500-seat ballpark, built in the early 90s. I went to several Kane County Cougars games when I was a kid in the late 90s. We used to win tickets to games at school through reading programs and the like. I always had fond memories of going to see games there with my family. The games were always a big attraction and most of the games we went to were sold-out or nearly sold-out, even on weeknights. They were always just fun games...very family-friendly. Lots of audience participation and in-game promotions. They would even let people walk out on the field for different events. They were generally THE place to go for family-friendly sports in the suburbs of Chicago. Now, there are other minor league baseball teams and other sports leagues that compete.

The Kane County Cougars play single-A ball in the 16-team Midwest League, which consists of teams primarily from the Great Lakes states and IA. Sure, they may not be as prestigious as Triple A, but for single-A, I always though it was good. Not sure how the team or the league is doing nowadays. I remember the Cougars were affiliated with the Marlins. Not sure if they still are.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Love this photo from a recent Cardinals spring training game....

Click image for larger version

Name:	mlg.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	4902

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2004
    TexanOkie once provided the incisive analysis of minor league baseball, but as I recall the main points were:
    1. it's not like following the majors in that there is really high turnover and one sees essentially a 'new' team every season. Because of this there is little sense of team development or continuity with the players.
    2. everyone can agree the prices are far more affordable, and the entertainment more family-oriented.(in years past I watched the Kalamazoo Kings play just for the dollar drafts and hot dogs) with giveaways and silly events between innings and 7th inning stretches.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Single-A minor league baseball stadium development
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 25 Jun 2012, 11:46 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Dec 2007, 2:36 PM
  3. Minor League Baseball
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 29 Aug 2005, 9:44 AM