Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Colorado-Denver MURP

Registered
    Apr 2011

Colorado-Denver MURP

I was wondering if anyone else was applying or had attended the MURP program. I am taking a visit in a few weeks and would love to get some more info before I go.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2012
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I too have questions about UC Denver (as a fellow Madisonian I hope you'll forgive me).

I applied recently applied and was wondering if anyone had any clue as to how selective the department is. I graduated with a 2.8, but have had an incredibly positive trajectory in my GPA, having had nothing less than a 3.2 in my last 5 semesters. I was one of those folks that did poorly in the beginning, only to take some time off and find my calling. Since graduating undergrad, I've been working in an unrelated governmental field.

I took the GRE recently and did quite well. I scored a 161 verbal (89th percentile), 155 quant (69th percentile), and am still waiting on the essay section, though I had scored a 4.5 (72 percentile) the last time I took the test.

Does anyone that went to UC Denver have any thoughts as to whether or not I have a shot at getting in? I know that I have to wait at least 2 weeks before they send their letters out, and it has slowly been eating at me every day. One positive thing - they reopened their admission window due to a lack of candidates.

Thanks

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Wisco View post
    Does anyone that went to UC Denver have any thoughts as to whether or not I have a shot at getting in? I know that I have to wait at least 2 weeks before they send their letters out, and it has slowly been eating at me every day. One positive thing - they reopened their admission window due to a lack of candidates.
    If this is more important than whether it is actually a good school, then you must wait and see. You will know soon enough. As many other threads on this board discuss when this same question comes up for any other school.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    If this is more important than whether it is actually a good school, then you must wait and see. You will know soon enough. As many other threads on this board discuss when this same question comes up for any other school.
    Trust me, I've done my research - this the the school I want to go to. My undergraduate background had a heavy theoretical emphasis - the first planning program I was in didn't even require a single GIS course (a reason I ultimately transferred). I like the emphasis on physical planning, as well as the option to take night classes. I haven't had any formal internships, as my school required a 'capstone' rather than a internship. While I did work with a planning department, I didn't get the day-to-day interactions that I feel I need. Having a flexible schedule will allow me to take an internship or two while I'm in school. Furthermore, I think the university is set in the perfect urban laboratory. I'm constantly fascinated with the issues facing the city, such as the FasTracks expansion.

What I really am looking for is experiences and perhaps GPAs of folks that have got accepted. Believe me, I'm not new here, but I fear that my other username gave away my identity. While this normally wouldn't matter, I am gainfully employed in another field. Returning to planning is the objective, and as such, I am doing my homework. I have scoured the depths of the forum only to find "I got in" type messages. I've also check in the AICP planning school guide which says that more than 80% of applicants get in. What I'm not sure about is whether or not late applicants even have a chance.

Thanks for your help, and I'll continue to search through old threads. If anyone can shine some light on my questions, it'd be much appreciated.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Wisco View post
    Trust me, I've done my research - .
    You're coming here for the lifestyle then. Good choice. You'll know soon enough! Good luck.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: CU Denver Need CU Denver MURP Info
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Aug 2013, 3:15 AM
  2. Denver, Colorado: Berkeley
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 11:48 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Mar 2006, 6:17 PM