Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Doggie daycare

Registered
    Nov 2002

Doggie daycare

Anyone have experiences they want to share (good or bad) about zoning for doggie daycare? We are proposing a zoning amendment to allow it in certain places but I don't want to be caught stepping in dog poo, so to speak.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Arf, arf.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    Arf, arf.
    What he said. Traffic should be similar to a veterinary clinic, and since many of those also provide dog boarding, you use that part of your ordinance as a starting point.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    Anyone have experiences they want to share (good or bad) about zoning for doggie daycare? We are proposing a zoning amendment to allow it in certain places but I don't want to be caught stepping in dog poo, so to speak.
    Zoning is one thing. Permitting an actual biness is something else entirely. Expect a good chance that the owner has never done this sort of thing before.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Traffic: similar to human daycare, wit drop-offs in the morning, and pickups in the afternoon and early evening.

Noise: probably quieter than child daycare. Dogs at play really don't bark that much. Many doggie day care centers have afternoon naptimes, where the lights are dimmed, and the dogs will instinctively rest. I've taken my dogs to doggie day care on many occasions, and the lack of barking and noise always surprised me.

Odor: usually poop is cleaned up immediately by human minders. They don't want other dogs running into it, or catching any illnesses such as worms.

I think ordinary dog day care is something that can fit into a regular commercial district; maybe special use if the community is very cautious. Dog day care plus overnight boarding might require more space, and noise will be more of an issue since dogs will be isolated from each other at night, and thus more prone to barking or howling.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Hey, some replies.

This is more dog hoarding than dog boarding (drums, please).

But seriously folks, I think we've decided the zoning side is relatively straightforward but that we will need some sort of annual licensing process to make sure that there are no issues that come up. I agree with everything Dan said in general but there is an interest in the community at large to safeguard against rogue poorly-run businesses.

In our city, most individuals want to have them out of their residence or at a residence in which they own, but do not live. If that is the case, we make them go through a special use permit. If the property is zoned commercial, we permit small animal hospitals and clinics in C-1 Limited Business District. That particular districts permits the sale of auto accessories in addition to fitness gyms and restaurants (no drive-thru).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    About 30% of US households include children.

About 39% of US households include dogs.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Dog daycare zoning regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Jul 2008, 10:33 PM
  2. Doggie Day Care
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 17 Jan 2008, 9:14 AM
  3. Replies: 12