Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: I like to think I'm a planner

Registered
    Mar 2012

I like to think I'm a planner

My name is Austin, I like planning. My friends make fun of me because I stop anytime I see a map and study it.. even if I already know where we are going.

I graduate from the undergrad City & Metropolitan Planning program of the University of Utah (Go UTES). I want to go to a GREAT grad school but I dont know where and thats part of why I joined this nifty community. Hope to get lots of insight as I try and figure out whats next in life.

I like the data and research and analysis side of things... for lots of reasons, but I sure hate when a city council things that Wal-Mart will actually provide more tax revenue than a properly planned, healthy, vibrant, mixed use shopping district. I began to focus on it too late in my degree, but have some good coursework in analysis now. I am doing Land-Use Model Analysis at the MPO in Salt Lake now, and enjoy it. I want a degree to reflect this, am scared to get a GIS degree and becoming a "GIS monkey". I also like redevelopment (which I see as connected to analysis)

Any advice? Great thanks!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Welcome to Cyburbia, from just north of the Valley. The U's program is good and gaining ground. I wouldn't worry about not being considered a real planner, or just a GIS monkey. Grad school I never did, so I can't give you any advice. Sorry. But it's a pleasure to welcome another Salt Laker to Cyburbia!

If I can help in any other more specific way, send me a private message and I'll try to help any way that I can. - ursus.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Welcome from the Queen City of the Rockies under the Big Sky in the Last Best Place. It is always nice to see another planner from the Interior West here.

I will leave advice of a great grad school to others, though if you are thinking of remaining in the West during your career, I would suggest you go to school in the West. Things are different out here, as you may know.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from New York!

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planner vs senior planner
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Aug 2007, 8:35 PM
  2. Not a planner
    Introduce Yourself