Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What do I do between undergrad and grad school

Registered
    Mar 2012

What do I do between undergrad and grad school

I'm finishing up my last semester for my undergrad (in planning) this spring and need some time off before I tackle grad school. I'd like to go to a top tier school, and would like to be in a better state financially before I do as well.

Additionally, I have realized how much better my chances for getting into a top grad program would be if I had some great experiences following my undergrad and wondered if anyone had any great ideas of things I could do. Currently I have an internship at the MPO for the Salt Lake area that potentially will last until the end of the summer. Anyone have any other programs that'd they think would be killer experience to help with grad school applications, and just be a great experience in general?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I wouldn't recommend waiting eight years.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by fadedevolution View post
    if I had some great experiences following my undergrad and wondered if anyone had any great ideas of things I could do.
    I would think finding a job would be an interesting (and useful) thing to do for eight years.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    K I'll try and get a job and not stay there for eight years...

anything else?

I was thinking of things along the lines of the RARE program from the University of Oregon and Americorps. http://csc.uoregon.edu/rare/

anyone know of any opportunities similar to this, or anything else that would be help build experience ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Peace corps?

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Americorps offers a lot of different opportunities, and (at least in my case) my Americorps experience was looked at very favorably by admissions. If you find a good opportunity with Americorps (and better if it's local to you), I'd try and get it. It won't help you improve your finances, but you do get a $5500 (taxed) education award at the end of your service.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    The Peace Corps doesn't have much that's directly related to planning anymore. They've significantly scaled back their urban planning program so they only take a hand full of volunteers a year. So if you pursue the Peace Corps, depending on prior volunteer experience and credentials, you'll more than likely be teaching English or doing some community development type stuff. That's not to say it's not worth doing or that it won't look favorable on a grad school application though. There's even some graduate programs tied with Peace Corps service and some schools graduate programs will even give you financial aid if you are a returned volunteer.

Just be aware, the Peace Corps application process takes about year now.
    Last edited by Blide; 02 Apr 2012 at 10:54 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 4:40 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jan 2011, 5:27 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 5:56 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last post: 12 Feb 2006, 12:47 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Sep 2005, 3:59 PM