Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 69

Thread: Fill in the missing land use

  1. #1

    Fill in the missing land use

    This could be fun or it could go down in flames...

    The idea is to posit three land uses (real or fictional) for an intersection of a true grid system and let Teh Trobbing Brian (TM) propose the final land use.

    Here's a real world scenario: NE Corner: Church; SE Corner: Low-Income Elderly Housing; NW Corner: Funeral Home. (This works if you see the trend I see with these three land uses ...)

    So what does the collective wit and wisdom of The Planning Portal propose for the SW Corner?
    Je suis Charlie

  2. #2
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,950
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    So what does the collective wit and wisdom of The Planning Portal propose for the SW Corner?
    A cemetery.

    Mine

    SE corner: a car dealer, SW coner: a UAW local, NE corner: a sub shop, NW corner: ?

    BTW, this is super planner-nerdy.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    The ends can justify the means.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    4,468
    This is cool....I'd like it even more if it could be visually portrayed.

    SW Corner - a flower shop
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Plus JNA's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    19,290
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Here's a real world scenario: NE Corner: Church; SE Corner: Low-Income Elderly Housing; NW Corner: Funeral Home. (This works if you see the trend I see with these three land uses ...)

    So what does the collective wit and wisdom of The Planning Portal propose for the SW Corner?
    Doctors's Office - Cardiology
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    Neighborhood retail, such as flower shop, salon, laundry mat, coffee shop, etc....

    The smart arse in me would suggest a cemetery, XXX retail, proctologist office, wigs and dentures shop, The "Silver Hairs - 15 mph demolition derby" Race Track, etc.....
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

  6. #6
    Cyburbian biscuit's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Paris of Appalachia
    Posts
    3,902
    Hospital or some sort of medical office. Oh, and each corner is connected by pedestrian bridge.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    The smart arse in me would suggest a cemetery, XXX retail, proctologist office, wigs and dentures shop, The "Silver Hairs - 15 mph demolition derby" Race Track, etc.....
    See! That's what I'm going for. It is the FAC, after all
    Yes, yes, it's nerdy. But we all need a laugh now and then.
    Je suis Charlie

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    4,468
    In Da Hood


    Check cashing joint -------------------------------Liquor store




    Pawn shop --------------------------------------------Rim shop
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

  9. #9
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,681
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Here's a real world scenario: NE Corner: Church; SE Corner: Low-Income Elderly Housing; NW Corner: Funeral Home.
    1) One of those stores that sells walkers, canes, elevated toilet seats, and the like.
    2) A vacant Bill Knapp's that everyone really misses.
    3) A small pharmacy that sells drugs only.
    4) 1960s-era medical office building.

    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    SE corner: a car dealer, SW coner: a UAW local, NE corner: a sub shop, NW corner: ?
    1) AAMCO Transmissions.
    2) Midas Muffler.
    3) Big O Tire
    4) Former gas station building used for a payday loan business.

    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    In Da Hood
    Check cashing joint -------------------------------Liquor store
    Pawn shop --------------------------------------------Rim shop
    1) Church's Chicken
    2) Vacant lot.
    3) T-Mobile authorized dealer
    4) Alpha and Omega Jesus the Son of the Living God Holiness Divine Deliverance Revelation Full Gospel Tabernacle House of Prayer of the Apostolic Succession and Outreach Ministry.
    5) A metal barrel holding a blazing fire, with four or five people huddled around it.
    6) Eboniqua, who will rock your world for $25.
    7) An empty building that used to be a Red Barn restaurant. (Ever notice that old Red Barn outlets that closed in the 1970s NEVER go away?)



    Let's try this with a middle-class, blue-collar-leaning 1960s-ish suburban area.

    NE) Former full-service gas station building reused as a flower shop.
    NW) Former full-service gas station building reused as an independent convenience store.
    SE) Older house, now used as a veterinary clinic.

    Let's make it an area that was developed in the 1980s, and make it just a bit more white-collar.

    NE) Freestanding Burger King on its last legs, will probably be vacated and replaced by a locally owned Mexican restaurant.
    NW) Freestanding bank with drive-through teller windows.
    SE) Generic strip plaza named after the intersecting streets, housing a martial arts studio, Kinko's, UPS Store, Golden Happy Lucky Jade Panda China Dragon Dynasty Gardens, Blockbuster Video, a Catholic bookstore, Desi market, H&R Block, Subway, a comic book store, Plato's Closet, and a kountry kitschy gift store called "The Cat's Meow."

    Knock it down a bit, Town Next Door style.

    NE) Former full-service gas station building reused as a used car sales lot and U-Haul rental.
    NW) Former full-service gas station building reused as a heavy equipment rental business. Depending on the time of the year, the owner "Bud" also sells trampolines, Christmas trees, seasoned firewood, throw rugs with tiger stripe and Confederate Flag patterns, and children's playhouses.
    SE) Site of a former full-service gas station, now vacant. It's now used as an informal used car lot; people park cars on there, put "For Sale" signs in the window, and leave them there for a few days at a time.

    More white collar "power suburb"

    NE) Poorly executed lifestyle center under construction: "The Shops at Via Siena".The rumors of Crate and Barrel and unfounded, but an Apple Store, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware are confirmed tenants. Outparcel tenants may include Champp's and P.F. Chang's.
    NW) A ten year old power center called "Heritage Crossings", with a Borders, Bed Bath and Beyond, Pier One, Old Navy, and Men's Wearhouse, with Olive Garden, Bennigan's, Damon's, and an empty Chi-Chi's on outparcels.
    SE) A ten year old upscale apartment complex called "Legacy Park". Covered parking, pool, hot tub, weight room, community center, and free washer and dryer in each unit, starting at $795 for a 650 square foot one bedroom unit. The surrounding residents tried to fight the construction of the complex for months.

    Middle-class, moderately growing, somewhat Republican-leaning exurb.

    NE) Former full-service gas station building reused as a used car lot. Continuous curb cut on both frontages.
    NW) 40 year old cinder block building housing a nameless diner that is open only during lunch. The gravel parking lot is filled with American pickup trucks between 12:00 and 1:00, and of course there's a continuous curb cut on both frontages.
    SE) Used to be farmland. "They just started to build the new Wal-Mart Supercenter! We can't wait! What I'd like to see next is a Sportsmen's Warehouse, and Tammy really wants to see a Michael's or Jo-Ann Fabrics."'

    Old-money inner ring suburb:

    NE) 1920s-era building housing Starbucks, an old-school hardware store, an old-school men's shop where half of the inventory is made in the UK, an old-guard dress shop, and a small bookstore specializing in rare books and first editions. Further down the block is Trinity Episcopal Church.
    NW) 1920s-era building housing a store that sells European children's toys, a small liquor store (someplace with a name like "Vintages", not "Bob's Liquor n' Lotto"), a doggie daycare and biscuit bakery, a wine bar, and an art and framing store. Down the block is Temple Beth David (Reform).
    SE) 1920s-era garage housing "Marcel's Service" - specializing in repairs and service for French and Italian cars. (Remember, this is still in the US.) Down the block is First Unitarian Church.

  10. #10
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,037
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Let's try this with a middle-class, blue-collar-leaning 1960s-ish suburban area.

    NE) Former full-service gas station building reused as a flower shop.
    NW) Former full-service gas station building reused as an independent convenience store.
    SE) Older house, now used as a veterinary clinic.

    Let's make it an area that was developed in the 1980s, and make it just a bit more white-collar.

    NE) Freestanding Burger King on its last legs, will probably be vacated and replaced by a locally owned Mexican restaurant.
    NW) Freestanding bank with drive-through teller windows.
    SE) Generic strip plaza named after the intersecting streets, housing a martial arts studio, Kinko's, UPS Store, Golden Happy Lucky Jade Panda China Dragon Dynasty Gardens, Blockbuster Video, a Catholic bookstore, Desi market, H&R Block, Subway, a comic book store, Plato's Closet, and a kountry kitschy gift store called "The Cat's Meow."

    Knock it down a bit, Town Next Door style.

    NE) Former full-service gas station building reused as a used car sales lot and U-Haul rental.
    NW) Former full-service gas station building reused as a heavy equipment rental business. Depending on the time of the year, the owner "Bud" also sells trampolines, Christmas trees, seasoned firewood, throw rugs with tiger stripe and Confederate Flag patterns, and children's playhouses.
    SE) Site of a former full-service gas station, now vacant. It's now used as an informal used car lot; people park cars on there, put "For Sale" signs in the window, and leave them there for a few days at a time.

    More white collar "power suburb"

    NE) Poorly executed lifestyle center under construction: "The Shops at Via Siena".The rumors of Crate and Barrel and unfounded, but an Apple Store, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware are confirmed tenants. Outparcel tenants may include Champp's and P.F. Chang's.
    NW) A ten year old power center called "Heritage Crossings", with a Borders, Bed Bath and Beyond, Pier One, Old Navy, and Men's Wearhouse, with Olive Garden, Bennigan's, Damon's, and an empty Chi-Chi's on outparcels.
    SE) A ten year old upscale apartment complex called "Legacy Park". Covered parking, pool, hot tub, weight room, community center, and free washer and dryer in each unit, starting at $795 for a 650 square foot one bedroom unit. The surrounding residents tried to fight the construction of the complex for months.

    Middle-class, moderately growing, somewhat Republican-leaning exurb.

    NE) Former full-service gas station building reused as a used car lot. Continuous curb cut on both frontages.
    NW) 40 year old cinder block building housing a nameless diner that is open only during lunch. The gravel parking lot is filled with American pickup trucks between 12:00 and 1:00, and of course there's a continuous curb cut on both frontages.
    SE) Used to be farmland. "They just started to build the new Wal-Mart Supercenter! We can't wait! What I'd like to see next is a Sportsmen's Warehouse, and Tammy really wants to see a Michael's or Jo-Ann Fabrics."
    WOW... It is like I am driving into work... WOW! Uncanny...
    Are you sure you haven't been 'round here recently?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,951
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    So what does the collective wit and wisdom of The Planning Portal propose for the SW Corner?
    Rumpy's Methadone Recovery Clinic?

  12. #12
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,960
    Blog entries
    1
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Let's try this with a middle-class, blue-collar-leaning 1960s-ish suburban area.

    NE) Former full-service gas station building reused as a flower shop.
    NW) Former full-service gas station building reused as an independent convenience store.
    SE) Older house, now used as a veterinary clinic.
    SW) A shack, now used as a place that specializes in vintage clothing and jewelry.

    Let's make it an area that was developed in the 1980s, and make it just a bit more white-collar.

    NE) Freestanding Burger King on its last legs, will probably be vacated and replaced by a locally owned Mexican restaurant.
    NW) Freestanding bank with drive-through teller windows.
    SE) Generic strip plaza named after the intersecting streets, housing a martial arts studio, Kinko's, UPS Store, Golden Happy Lucky Jade Panda China Dragon Dynasty Gardens, Blockbuster Video, a Catholic bookstore, Desi market, H&R Block, Subway, a comic book store, Plato's Closet, and a kountry kitschy gift store called "The Cat's Meow."
    SW) A recently abandoned K-Mart. Big Lots is rumored to move in.

    Knock it down a bit, Town Next Door style.

    NE) Former full-service gas station building reused as a used car sales lot and U-Haul rental.
    NW) Former full-service gas station building reused as a heavy equipment rental business. Depending on the time of the year, the owner "Bud" also sells trampolines, Christmas trees, seasoned firewood, throw rugs with tiger stripe and Confederate Flag patterns, and children's playhouses.
    SE) Site of a former full-service gas station, now vacant. It's now used as an informal used car lot; people park cars on there, put "For Sale" signs in the window, and leave them there for a few days at a time.
    SW) Site of a former diner. Now just a gravel lot, people sell tomatoes, sunglasses, and flowers out of their cars here occasionally.

    More white collar "power suburb"

    NE) Poorly executed lifestyle center under construction: "The Shops at Via Siena".The rumors of Crate and Barrel and unfounded, but an Apple Store, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware are confirmed tenants. Outparcel tenants may include Champp's and P.F. Chang's.
    NW) A ten year old power center called "Heritage Crossings", with a Borders, Bed Bath and Beyond, Pier One, Old Navy, and Men's Wearhouse, with Olive Garden, Bennigan's, Damon's, and an empty Chi-Chi's on outparcels.
    SE) A ten year old upscale apartment complex called "Legacy Park". Covered parking, pool, hot tub, weight room, community center, and free washer and dryer in each unit, starting at $795 for a 650 square foot one bedroom unit. The surrounding residents tried to fight the construction of the complex for months.
    SW) A regional office building housing a telecommunications company.

    Middle-class, moderately growing, somewhat Republican-leaning exurb.

    NE) Former full-service gas station building reused as a used car lot. Continuous curb cut on both frontages.
    NW) 40 year old cinder block building housing a nameless diner that is open only during lunch. The gravel parking lot is filled with American pickup trucks between 12:00 and 1:00, and of course there's a continuous curb cut on both frontages.
    SE) Used to be farmland. "They just started to build the new Wal-Mart Supercenter! We can't wait! What I'd like to see next is a Sportsmen's Warehouse, and Tammy really wants to see a Michael's or Jo-Ann Fabrics."'
    SW) An old free-standing building currently used as a Subway, with an Arby's under construction next door OR
    SW) A regional trucking center, specializing in repairs and distribution.

    Old-money inner ring suburb:

    NE) 1920s-era building housing Starbucks, an old-school hardware store, an old-school men's shop where half of the inventory is made in the UK, an old-guard dress shop, and a small bookstore specializing in rare books and first editions. Further down the block is Trinity Episcopal Church.
    NW) 1920s-era building housing a store that sells European children's toys, a small liquor store, a doggie daycare and biscuit bakery, a wine bar, and an art and framing store. Down the block is Temple Beth David (Reform).
    SE) 1920s-era garage housing "Marcel's Service" - specializing in repairs and service for French and Italian cars. (Remember, this is still in the US.) Down the block is First Unitarian Church.
    SW) 1920s-era building housing Panera Bread and an upscale independent furniture store.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  13. #13
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,681
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    SW) A shack, now used as a place that specializes in vintage clothing and jewelry.

    SW) A recently abandoned K-Mart. Big Lots is rumored to move in.

    SW) Site of a former diner. Now just a gravel lot, people sell tomatoes, sunglasses, and flowers out of their cars here occasionally.

    SW) A regional office building housing a telecommunications company.

    SW) An old free-standing building currently used as a Subway, with an Arby's under construction next door OR
    SW) A regional trucking center, specializing in repairs and distribution.

    SW) 1920s-era building housing Panera Bread and an upscale independent furniture store.
    You know, that's almost perfect.

    Let's try a real intersection a mile south of my house. I'm excluding the gas stations.

    NW: Small strip center with a kosher bakery, kosher vegetarian restaurant, kosher Middle Eastern/Israeli restaurant, photo studio (closed on Saturday), hair salon (closed on Saturday), Jamacian restaurant, and a small office building.

    SW: Freestanding medium-sized supermarket, small strip plaza with a kosher meat market and a Subway, and a synagogue (now Reform, but sold to an Orthodox congregation).

    SE: Small strip plaza with a new traditional deli (open on Saturday, to the dismay of neighbors), kosher chocolate store, another kosher bakery, another kosher meat market, a new small Mexican restaurant, a jewelery store (closed on Saturday), and a small upscale liquor store.

    NE???

    Here's one a block from my house.

    NE: 1950s-era strip plaza, fronting the sidewalk but with parking in the rear, with a bank, discount supermarket, lobster restaurant, bar catering to old men, bar catering to Russian immigrants, lighting store, trophy engraving store, and Blockbuster Video.

    NW: Small retail building with parking in front, containing a bank and a new locally-owned coffee shop that is attempting to be as hip as possible, but it's still not quite there yet.

    SW: 1920s-era retail building, fronting the street, with a generic Chinese restaurant, locally owned sporting goods store, locally owned barbecue joint, and locally owned hardware store.

    SE???

  14. #14
    Here's one a block from my house.

    NE: 1950s-era strip plaza, fronting the sidewalk but with parking in the rear, with a bank, discount supermarket, lobster restaurant, bar catering to old men, bar catering to Russian immigrants, lighting store, trophy engraving store, and Blockbuster Video.

    NW: Small retail building with parking in front, containing a bank and a new locally-owned coffee shop that is attempting to be as hip as possible, but it's still not quite there yet.

    SW: 1920s-era retail building, fronting the street, with a generic Chinese restaurant, locally owned sporting goods store, locally owned barbecue joint, and locally owned hardware store.

    SE???
    This corner just screams for a bowling alley and bar.
    Je suis Charlie

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    You know, that's almost perfect.

    Let's try a real intersection a mile south of my house. I'm excluding the gas stations.

    NW: Small strip center with a kosher bakery, kosher vegetarian restaurant, kosher Middle Eastern/Israeli restaurant, photo studio (closed on Saturday), hair salon (closed on Saturday), Jamacian restaurant, and a small office building.

    SW: Freestanding medium-sized supermarket, small strip plaza with a kosher meat market and a Subway, and a synagogue (now Reform, but sold to an Orthodox congregation).

    SE: Small strip plaza with a new traditional deli (open on Saturday, to the dismay of neighbors), kosher chocolate store, another kosher bakery, another kosher meat market, a new small Mexican restaurant, a jewelery store (closed on Saturday), and a small upscale liquor store.

    NE???
    Mom & Pop Drug Store (with non working soda fountain), Barber shop, and a Bank, if it was more concentrated Kosher (Jewish) uses I would have said Bridal Store.

    I think this is a great mental exercise keep it going!
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

    *City Block, no off street parking, no vacant lots*
    *Apartments above most uses/no office uses*

    (NW) - Bar/Bagel Shop/Nail Parlor
    (NE) - Lunch diner/Cellphone Store/Book Store
    (SW) -Small Mediteranian Rest./Pizza Parlor/Photo Shop

    (SE) - __________???__________
    @GigCityPlanner

  16. #16
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,960
    Blog entries
    1
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    Mom & Pop Drug Store (with non working soda fountain), Barber shop, and a Bank, if it was more concentrated Kosher (Jewish) uses I would have said Bridal Store.

    I think this is a great mental exercise keep it going!
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

    *City Block, no off street parking, no vacant lots*
    *Apartments above most uses/no office uses*

    (NW) - Bar/Bagel Shop/Nail Parlor
    (NE) - Lunch diner/Cellphone Store/Book Store
    (SW) -Small Mediteranian Rest./Pizza Parlor/Photo Shop

    (SE) - __________???__________
    SE: Drugstore/Florist

    OK...here's a real intersection near me (exurban area):
    (NW) - old farm, zoned for industrial or office park
    (NE) - regional trucking center
    (SW) - Walgreen's/Hair Cuttery/indep. pizza place/Baskin Robbins-Dunkin' Donuts/Deli/Cleaners/Chase Bank/7-11-Citgo/Domino's/Century 21 (all very new)
    (SE) - ???

    no gas stations, please
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  17. #17
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,950
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    SE: Drugstore/Florist

    OK...here's a real intersection near me (exurban area):
    (NW) - old farm, zoned for industrial or office park
    (NE) - regional trucking center
    (SW) - Walgreen's/Hair Cuttery/indep. pizza place/Baskin Robbins-Dunkin' Donuts/Deli/Cleaners/Chase Bank/7-11-Citgo/Domino's/Century 21 (all very new)
    (SE) - ???

    no gas stations, please
    (SE) - a combo Culver's and Taco Bell restaurant building

    Another intersection from me (streetcar urban):
    (NW) - an old man bar and packaged liquour retailer (commercial side)
    (NE) - a 1920s small-ish courtyard apt. building (high density res. side)
    (SE) - 1970's apt. building (high density res. side)
    (SW) - ??????? (commercial side)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    The ends can justify the means.

  18. #18
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,960
    Blog entries
    1
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    (SE) - a combo Culver's and Taco Bell restaurant building
    Culver's is just down the road combined with a Mobil. But a Taco Bell/KFC might be perfect!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  19. #19
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,950
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    Culver's is just down the road combined with a Mobil. But a Taco Bell/KFC might be perfect!
    Yeah and the old-timers across the road probably love having Culver's there......
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    The ends can justify the means.

  20. #20
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,960
    Blog entries
    1
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Yeah and the old-timers across the road probably love having Culver's there......
    Hahaha...oh yeah. I refuse to shop at the Jewel there because of them.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  21. #21
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,681
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    This corner just screams for a bowling alley and bar.
    It's actually a building containing a CVS, SuperCuts, and diner that's only open for breakfast and lunch. Parking in front of the building. Decent four-sided architecture with a monument sign.

    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    Mom & Pop Drug Store (with non working soda fountain), Barber shop, and a Bank, if it was more concentrated Kosher (Jewish) uses I would have said Bridal Store.
    Sounds like that would fit. It's actually a small office building, circa 1950-something, and a Bruegger's Bagels.

    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    OK...here's a real intersection near me (exurban area):
    (NW) - old farm, zoned for industrial or office park
    (NE) - regional trucking center
    (SW) - Walgreen's/Hair Cuttery/indep. pizza place/Baskin Robbins-Dunkin' Donuts/Deli/Cleaners/Chase Bank/7-11-Citgo/Domino's/Century 21 (all very new)
    (SE) - ???
    A one-story office building that was designed to appear residential-ish, with a dentist office, chriopractor, and State Farm Insurance agency.

  22. #22
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Another intersection from me (streetcar urban):
    (NW) - an old man bar and packaged liquour retailer (commercial side)
    (NE) - a 1920s small-ish courtyard apt. building (high density res. side)
    (SE) - 1970's apt. building (high density res. side)
    (SW) - ??????? (commercial side)
    Small Bodega/Convenience store with deli and news stand.
    @GigCityPlanner

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Coragus's avatar
    Registered
    May 2002
    Location
    Kzoo . . . for now!
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    This could be fun or it could go down in flames...

    The idea is to posit three land uses (real or fictional) for an intersection of a true grid system and let Teh Trobbing Brian (TM) propose the final land use.

    Here's a real world scenario: NE Corner: Church; SE Corner: Low-Income Elderly Housing; NW Corner: Funeral Home. (This works if you see the trend I see with these three land uses ...)

    So what does the collective wit and wisdom of The Planning Portal propose for the SW Corner?
    A child day care center.
    The cookies are worth the drive

  24. #24
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,681
    Blog entries
    3
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    Small Bodega/Convenience store with deli and news stand.
    I see an example of a 1980s zoning code that was written with suburban site planning in mind, where most 1920s-era retail structures would be nonconforming because of their setback, or lack thereof. I'll say it's a use with a suburban, vehicle-oriented site plan that doesn't fit in with the surrounding urban fabric, like a 7-11; 20 year old gas station with a HUGE canopy covering a small, rectangular prefabricated building; or a McDonald's.

    Another possibility for illinoisplanner's corner - self storage warehouse.

  25. #25
    Cyburbian mgk920's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,191
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    This could be fun or it could go down in flames...

    The idea is to posit three land uses (real or fictional) for an intersection of a true grid system and let Teh Trobbing Brian (TM) propose the final land use.

    Here's a real world scenario: NE Corner: Church; SE Corner: Low-Income Elderly Housing; NW Corner: Funeral Home. (This works if you see the trend I see with these three land uses ...)

    So what does the collective wit and wisdom of The Planning Portal propose for the SW Corner?
    Well, the 'evil' side of me says a goth-themed bar , but the 'good' side says a florist shop .

    Real world near where I live:

    (average, safe blue/lower white-collar neighborhood, developed in the 1950s)
    NW - small resale shop/locally-owned salon in a neatly kept 40-50 YO building;
    SW - popular George Webb restaurant (eastern Wisconsin's answer to Waffle House);
    SE - popular locally owned downscale sit-down restaurant, operated by first-gen eastern European immigrants, in a majorly expanded and multiply remodeled building that started its life as a late 1950s 'Golden Aches' McD's;
    NE - (non-residential)???

    (In real life, corner is a SF house with a small greenspace by the intersection, created when the intersection was realigned about 25-30 years ago, the new street alignment used the site of a former gas station/garage for ROW).

    Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Fill Tide's iPod
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 54
    Last post: 17 Feb 2006, 1:03 PM
  2. Fill Your Tanks!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 95
    Last post: 06 Sep 2005, 9:47 AM
  3. Fill in the blank contest May 22
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 May 2004, 8:41 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Feb 2003, 7:07 PM
  5. Fill in the blank.....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 10 Jan 2003, 6:05 PM