Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What drives you crazy on vacation?

Registered
    Feb 2004

What drives you crazy on vacation?

People that bring their cell phones, laptops, crackberries, or other communications devices that keep them 'in touch' with work.

If you have to 'check in' with work every day while on vacation, you need to admit you have a problem.

I have a relative who is a high powered attorney that works almost every moment he is on 'vacation'. He can't take his kids to a freakin' movie without spending three quarters of the time texting people about work. When confronted about it, he responds he is "adept at multi-tasking"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2002
    Too much structure. I live a pretty regimented life in order to successfully pull of my work and family lives, so when I'm on vacation, I like to play and keep things a lot looser.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 390,269 people with a 99% happiness rating (1/23/2017)!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My family drives me crazy on vacation. Unfortunately, my wife frowns on me going to exotic locales without her.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Most annoying one I've experienced is transmission troubles on a rental car. Rental agency said they'd get us a new car first thing in the morning, they didn't come till like 1 or 2 pm. That killed one day of our vacation.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Having every single minute of a vacation planned out. Half the fun is relaxing and doing nothing but drinking at the pool, right? Or finding something unusual while there.

Also...Tourists!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

Also...Tourists!
    Specifically Americans.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Relatives! Can't I have a vacation trip that doesn't terminate at relatives houses? If I wanted to see them, I wouldn't have left home.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Driving and driving. My son is in the back seat watching a DVD or playing a video game and my wife is snoozing. And I am driving. And when we get to our destination, what do they want to do - drive somewhere else. What do I want to do - do something near the campground or relax by the pool.

Another thing that drives me crazy - cigarette butts in a national park. WTF! I saw some a-hole empty his ashtray on the ground in Glacier National Park. Don't leave your stinking habit's byproducts in a national treasure, you f~@$*&^ D@U%&bag. I hope you get cancer and I hope your death is both excruciatingly painful and protracted. But, hey, enjoy your stay in our beautiful national park.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Having every single minute of a vacation planned out. Half the fun is relaxing and doing nothing but drinking at the pool, right? Or finding something unusual while there.
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Relatives! Can't I have a vacation trip that doesn't terminate at relatives houses?
    Ditto both of these. In 2002 when my family was small, we loaded up the car and went to San Diego for seven days with NO relatives in tow, and without any clear plan at all. Needless to say, those were the finest seven days of my life.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Ditto both of these. In 2002 when my family was small, we loaded up the car and went to San Diego for seven days with NO relatives in tow, and without any clear plan at all. Needless to say, those were the finest seven days of my life.
    Totally agree! I’m tired of using up my precious vacation days on trips to visit family, it’s not a vacation if I’m having to drive around the whole time to “see everyone” before we go back home. Between that and all the school holidays my son gets that I don’t get, my accrued vacation is pathetic right now. I actually do love both sides of my family, I just hate not having any vacation time left over.

I'm in the same boat. My vacations are spent visiting family. Now both my folks and my sister makes sure we do something besides sit around and talk, but I haven't gone a vacation vacation since moving away.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There are two ideological schools of thought where vacations are concerned:
    1) those who like to 'do' as many fun things as they can on an itinerary within an alotted timeframe (these folks can be identified by their frequently making remarks like - "I need a vacation to recover from the vacation I just had")
    2) those who like to go to someplace different and 'do' very little (relax, you know).

Most are probably somewhere in between, but I'd guess the Type A's of the world dominate the ranks of school #1 and Type B's dominate #2
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Also...Tourists!
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Specifically Americans.
    Especially tourists from New Jersey

I also hate having an uber planned vacay. Usually I do the sight seeing and visit attractions every other day so I have some down times. I do not bring my laptop but I do bring my smart phone for domestic trips and my quad band world phone on international trips. I also HATE vacations that entail being isolated from the local experience/landscape unless it's a deal of the century and there's not much else to do. I also hate when UGLY TOURISTS complain about the lack of amenities especially in a developing place-if you want all your creature comforts and you want it to "be like home" then stay home.

We are going to the Dominican Republic sometime in the back half of the year so the baby can meet the family but I do not intend to spend all my time with them. The other half agrees that too much family is not a good thing and he would like some R&R too.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    My family drives me crazy on vacation. Unfortunately, my wife frowns on me going to exotic locales without her.
    Suggest spending a weeks vacation in Bad Axe as it has always been a dream of yours to spend a week in Bad Axe. She will say "Have at it, I ain't going", leaving you free to decide to go somewhere else once you arrive in Bad Axe.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    The expectation that I have to use my vacation time to visit my family does bug me occasionally. I'm not sure how to do a real vacation when I have limited vacation time and parents living no where near each other. This will probably only get worse if/when I get married.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The people I'm with usually drive me crazy. Whether it's me and my family being on different wavelengths or arguing with my siblings on family vacations, or wanting to do different things from what my friends want to do on some of the more recent vacations I've taken. 90% of the time, I get along with everybody, but 10% of the time, I just want to tear my hair out and take a vacation from my vacation.

And of course, the tourists and crowds can get to me sometimes. You know, when you're on a vacation, the world is supposed to revolve around you, isn't it? You know, saving up all this money and setting this time aside just to kick back and relax, and then all these loud tourists and crowds spoil it all, invading your quiet poolside/beachside experience, your peaceful hiking excursion, or your nice dinner. I remember as a little kid getting all upset because all these other kids invaded MY SAND HILL at the Northern Wisconsin resort we were at. At the same time, I expect to be able to be loud, drunk, and obnoxious with my friends on the streets of Washington DC at 4 in the morning, and not have anyone mind.

Last week, in advance of the mega-millions lotto, I said that if I won, I would immediately take a vacation WITHOUT ANYONE to just lay on the beach and do nothing. However, I don't know...I'd probably enjoy it at first, but then become lonely and bored. I just wish sometimes I could summon friends for a few hours in the afternoon and/or evening, but then do whatever I wanted the rest of the time.

Bad weather and other unexpected things (one of your favorite restaurants has shut down, for example) can also drive me crazy.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Being expected to accomplish / do something.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Having just returned from my vacation the one thing that comes to mind is an awful lot of places in small towns close early. Four PM is still prime traveling time for me, but perhaps not for others.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If I'm either in the air, on the road, or walking through a new neighborhood (or a familiar neighborhood for that matter) and not at work, nothing drives me crazy.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    If I'm either in the air, on the road, or walking through a new neighborhood (or a familiar neighborhood for that matter) and not at work, nothing drives me crazy.
    So you have gotten over the service of that airline that you had ranted about ?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    So you have gotten over the service of that airline that you had ranted about ?
    Southwest now flies into our airport and this week they announced expanded service. No more complaints.
    Annoyingly insensitive

My big pet peeve is inconsiderate campers.

I've generally noticed that the bigger the RV the camper has the more of an inconsiderate a-hole he tends to be. And the more developed the site is, the more likely you are to encounter arrogant, belligerent campers who treat the campground like their own living room and back yard.

While staying at a primitive campsite in SE Missouri one year, where there were no big RVs at all, the place was dead-quiet by 9:30PM. Being in CST, it was dark by that time, not something I was used to. But I didn't hear one peep out of anyone, which were mostly tent campers and owners of small RVs. In fact the only sound I heard, other than the soothing sounds of the creek next to our campsite, was the sound of the Whippoorwill.

But just a few miles away, in Babler State Park near St. Louis, we stayed at a fully developed campsite that was chock full of land yachts. The place was just teeming with them and there were hardly any tents at all. I heard air compressors, doors slamming and car horns beeping all the way past 11:00 PM. Also, there were so many bright lights from all the extra lighting they put out that it was hard to sleep from all the brightness.

There is nothing worse in the world the inconsiderate guests. I mean nothing.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Finding myself in a hotel full of high school kids on a field trip. They're godawful loud, always charge into elevators before we can exit, and strip the entire breakfast buffet in seconds.

South American tourists at WDW. They became a huge problem 15-20 years ago. What part of "Another tram will be along in 3 minutes" don't they get? They'll throw women and children off the tram from the parking lot to the parks. Yes, I have many personal experiences with this. On the plus side, all the women wear high heels and are limping late in the day. hahahahaha.....

People who won't turn off their phones in attractions. Really, you can't sit thru 15 minutes of The Muppets 3-D without being on your phone?

Getting to your hotel or other place to stay and you've not gotten the room type you reserved.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1345
    Last post: 19 Jun 2017, 1:49 PM
  2. S/he drives me crazy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 3:40 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 27 Jan 2005, 8:55 AM
  4. Stuff that drives me nuts at work
    Friday Afternoon Club