Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: From Arch to Planning.....

Registered
    Mar 2012

From Arch to Planning.....

Hi

I am an undergraduate student of architecture in Detroit. Needless to say, my prospects are dismal.

I also believe that I'd be happier in the fields of urban planning and urban design rather than in architecture, so I plan on going for a MUP as soon as I get my BSArch.

I'm currently scoping out urban planning grad programs to apply to. I'd like the program to be a part of the uni's college of architecture as well as be in a large city, since the networking connections I make in school will probably be what leads to my first job. I chose to stay in Detroit for my undergrad which was the worst decision I've ever made in my life. However, I'm excited to start a new life in a new city.... I'm currently looking into Chicago, Austin, and the west coast as well. I am very open to suggestions.

So that is where I'm coming from. Its great to see such a lively, helpful, and centralized community for urban planners here. I'm glad to be a part of it.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from the Florida panhandle.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I made the same switch 25+ years ago. Have not regretted it. I never realized growing up there was such a field known as Urban Planning. I thought that was left up to architects to do. Back then the colleges were not teaching kids on computers but nearly every architectural or engineering office was adopting them to do design work. That would have left me with a job at the lumber yard figuring out how much lumber someone would need for a deck. So I started to look at other schools and found that many geography departments had this 'Urban Planning" area that seemed to be more tailored to how I wanted to spend my life. I have been reasonably happy ever since.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Welcome from Utah in the Rockies! Another convert from the Architects. We'll get them all one day....one day...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Sep 2013, 2:03 PM
  2. Arch. associates in addition to planning degree?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Mar 2010, 12:59 PM
  3. Planning and landscape arch. in So. CA
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Nov 2008, 8:24 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Mar 2006, 3:39 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Mar 2004, 11:42 PM