Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vacation 'styles'

Registered
    Feb 2004

Vacation 'styles'

Yep, another vacationed themed thread.

What is an ideal vacation for you? What percent of your vacation time do you like to spend actually travelling? Are you more about the journey or the destination? Do you typically head for one destination on vacations enjoying things along the way or do you intentionally head for multiple destinations - in other words would you be more likely to spend a whole week at Martha's Vineyard or would you rather spend seven days stopping for the nights in Boston, Providence, Bangor, etc.

My brother and SIL sometimes go on separate vacations; usually they take turns with one staying home with the kids and then the next takes their turn. Does anyone else do this?

Those of you with SO's, do you find your vacation style conflicts at all?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    My ideal vacation is to do a wind shield tour of a large area then figure out if there's any specific place I want to spend more time on another trip.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I am about the journey, I think. I love road trips. Next year I want to recreate a trip from when I was young: A massive road trip driving cross country to Washington DC, stopping all along the way to see everything and anything. No plans, man. Just drive, see what there is to see along the way. You want to stop and see the worlds largest fill-in-the-blank? You bet we can, kiddo. You want to swim in the Raccoon River? You bet. Think that abandoned Missouri farm house might be haunted? You bet. Nope still occupied. Those old people were nice not to call the cops. Onward, kids! It's a long way to the coast!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am another fan of the road trip. Get me off the interstate and onto the two-lane roads. My days will be split up between watching scenery, getting out to wander around the interesting downtown I pass, and hiking the area's natural spots. The frequent stops and walks make this kind of trip very popular with my four-legged traveling companion.

When I drive to communities where I am working I usually travel just with dog. Most vacations I take with Mrs. Cardinal, but I have been known to do some alone if she can't get away, or has no interest in my destination.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005
    As a family, most of our vacations are driving oriented. Even when we fly to another part of the country, we have typically rented a car and explored form there. I love a road trip and I am less concerned with figuring out where we will stay each night than with uncovering unexpected gems along the way. And we do have a knack for enjoying most any travel as an intriguing adventure. When I told people a few years ago that we had done a Great Lakes Tour – flew into Buffalo, drove to Akron Ohio, then to an area south of Pittsburgh to do some family history research – people asked “why?!” But we had a great time. Its not where we live and we were visiting family and friends, so that made it all enjoyable, new and interesting. And again, I love an adventure. Even one that takes me into decaying industrial towns or dying communities along the Yough. Maybe even more so…

This summer we are planning a trip to either Nicaragua or Costa Rica. The biggest challenge is the damn internet which can flood your head with so much detail and nuance that I almost feel crippled from making any decisions at all. What’s the best option? The best price? The best review on a town for traveling with a family?, etc. I think we just need to decide on the dates, book the flights and figure the rest out from there. It will be great no matter what happens and no matter the detail we can gather in advance, there will be a million more unexpected treats (good and bad) on the ground once we get there. Though if anyone has any personal recommendation in either country, I would love to hear them…

So, I guess ultimately, we are more about the journey than the destination. So, where are we going next?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Yep, another vacationed themed thread.

What is an ideal vacation for you? What percent of your vacation time do you like to spend actually travelling? Are you more about the journey or the destination? Do you typically head for one destination on vacations enjoying things along the way or do you intentionally head for multiple destinations - in other words would you be more likely to spend a whole week at Martha's Vineyard or would you rather spend seven days stopping for the nights in Boston, Providence, Bangor, etc.
    With gas approaching $4 a gallon nowadays I think that probably rules out a lot of cool but not must-see attractions for folks. Also, nobody vacations in Bangor (but you are forgiven for using it as an example since you're not a New Englander).

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    With gas approaching $4 a gallon nowadays I think that probably rules out a lot of cool but not must-see attractions for folks. Also, nobody vacations in Bangor (but you are forgiven for using it as an example since you're not a New Englander).
    Speaking of gas prices, I experienced an Eyeroll Moment the other day when I saw an article in a regional business booster mag about how $4 gas prices will have "negligable" impact on tourism. but suppose it must be true if a professor said so.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm pretty much over the "road trip" part of the vacation, since we were dragged on so many long, long car trips when I was a kid.

As for now... I have a tendency towards detailed trip planning. RJ is more the "meander" type. We both like to visit places that are walkable, with interesting neighborhoods. He especially likes to take early morning walks and get coffee while I'm still asleep. I try very hard to dial back my planning tendencies; on our upcoming DC-area trip, the only "commitment" we have is timed tix to Monticello (what he really wants to see).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Furniture styles poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 09 Jun 2009, 1:41 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 9:33 AM
  3. Florida architectural styles
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 30 Apr 2006, 8:46 PM