Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Putting one's faithful beloved consumer goods to a final rest with dignity

Registered
    Dec 2008

Putting one's faithful beloved consumer goods to a final rest with dignity

Just made the decision to drop my Blackberry this round and pick up a Galaxy S2 instead. Now, my current phone is sitting on the desk looking at me, with it's big, sad, physical keyboard-of-a-face. I swear, it's giving me dirty looks. It's like it knows, like when you're driving to the vet with your dog to get it neutered.

I feel awful. How could I divorce Blackberry?!?! Well, it's not like she put me through college or anything but I am leaving her for a younger phone.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Just made the decision to drop my Blackberry this round and pick up a Galaxy S2 instead. Now, my current phone is sitting on the desk looking at me, with it's big, sad, physical keyboard-of-a-face. I swear, it's giving me dirty looks. It's like it knows, like when you're driving to the vet with your dog to get it neutered.

I feel awful. How could I divorce Blackberry?!?! Well, it's not like she put me through college or anything but I am leaving her for a younger phone.
    If it helps, the company behind blackberry is starting to have real problems. I also know the feeling. My current blackberry is starting to burn through the charge. When the time comes, I'll switch to an Iphone 4 then go back behind the shed with a gun and put my faithful, trusty bb out it's misery
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

I never had a Blackberry but I kinda know what you mean. I felt terrible last year when I had to put my trusty dependable TI-30 calculator (purchased circa 1979) to rest after 30 years. I would have liked to hold a small ceremony in the back yard to commemorate it's eventful life. I tear up even now thinking back on how we used to punch in numbers during algebra class like '7734' or '58008' and hold the calculator upside down to read the LED display. <Sniff>
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    A few years ago I chucked my 30 y.o. electric skillet that my parents gave me while I was in college. RJ had gotten me a new non-stick one that I wanted. I used to make perfect pancakes in the old one; still trying to make even decent ones in the new skillet. What was I thinking?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    If it helps, the company behind blackberry is starting to have real problems. I also know the feeling. My current blackberry is starting to burn through the charge. When the time comes, I'll switch to an Iphone 4 then go back behind the shed with a gun and put my faithful, trusty bb out it's misery
    Naaaaah....

(Yea, I know that it's an iPhone 3G, but the process is the same)

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I just got a blackberry for the first time around two months ago - the BB style from Sprint. Web browser (probably its weakest point) works well for reading news and other things I do, between the native bb and opera browser, and I have been able to do everything I wanted to do, and read every web page I wanted to go to. Including some fairly complex ones as I recall -- like a good morning radio program on http://thetakeaway.org (alternative to Morning Edition.)

Like the keyboard - don't like touchscreen keyboards, and it works two days or more on one charge if not constantly transmitting. Those large display phones seem larger and drain the battery powering that screen it seems, and even worse battery life with "4G" so I don't know why they brag about it so much as many people keep their 4G phone at 3G except when they need a speed boost. Anyway I like the blackberry, step up from WM 6.5 which I used to have on the HTC TP 2, and I like clamshell phones as well. Also available from creedo mobile, who I probably would have gotten it from if I hadn't been with Sprint for years already.

BB going under? Maybe, but we'll see -- if 'high end consumer' means a neverendingly facebooking and tweeting netflixian-type of person, then maybe blackberry is right to stop going after that kind of consumer. And I doubt they will go anywhere - they do the essential functions very well. Offhand, I really can't think what functions you can't do with one.

Plus android requires logging into/linking with google, and with their new (non)privacy policy, perhaps my hesitation (and that was the reason for my not going to android before they came out with the policy). If I leave bberry, it'll probably be for an iPhone as I have a mac already. But I may acquire a playbook -- to do those things that others seem to want to do on a phone, but with enough screen to actually do them. Just my .02.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Naaaaah....

(Yea, I know that it's an iPhone 3G, but the process is the same)

Mike
    Never mind-it's not worth the effort.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by skara View post
    I just got a blackberry for the first time around two months ago... Just my .02.
    Welcome to Cyburbia! I hope that you stick around. We have much more in depth discussions on topics such as zoning, public nuisances, and development... not just consumer electronics!

-------------------

- I ditched my CD player a couple years ago... to which I have found I don't really like the MP3/Apple world. I am sticking to streaming music for now.

- I no longer use my garmin either. I have found that my phone isn't quite as good, but certain apps are much better, and they are in my phone which means I don't have to drag around the garmin...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Welcome to Cyburbia! I hope that you stick around. We have much more in depth discussions on topics such as zoning, public nuisances, and development... not just consumer electronics!

-------------------

- I ditched my CD player a couple years ago... to which I have found I don't really like the MP3/Apple world. I am sticking to streaming music for now.

- I no longer use my garmin either. I have found that my phone isn't quite as good, but certain apps are much better, and they are in my phone which means I don't have to drag around the garmin...
    We didn't even take our TomTom or physical maps with us on our recent trip to Florida. Our iPhone4s got us where we needed to go very nicely.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I use my iPhone 3 as an Internet radio, although it's not as seamless as a dedicated unit. I keep it in a charger by my bedside, hooked up to the aux in of my Boston Acoustics clock radio. Does the old Blackberry have wi-fi capability, and the ability to run apps? If it does, download TuneIn Radio Pro or a similar net radio app, and check it out.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2007
    You could also hold on to the Blackberry if you are with a companythat has a SIM card and use the Blackberry for times when your nice shiny phone may get beat up. I have an old beater phone I use when I go camping or hiking. If i drop it, no big deal...

Slightly OT: I recently traded my iPhone 4S for a Samsung Galaxy S II and I love it. I like iPhone, but I prefer Android, since my last smartphone was an Android.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 19 Apr 2011, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 30 Nov 2010, 5:13 PM
  3. Durable Goods
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 08 Sep 2006, 1:58 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 23 Jun 2006, 5:13 PM