Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Additional licenses and certifications?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011

Additional licenses and certifications?

I am wondering what additional licensing and certifications I can take classes for that would help me out in the job search. I know without experience you cannot do AICP, but is CZO obtainable with just college experience? Would you guys think that going and getting a building inspector certification would help me at all or just end up wasted? I have interviewed for one code enforcement position where I think inspection certification may help, and during my internship the town planner WAS the code enforcement officer as well.

What about trying for CCEA? Can I get that with just my own personal time spent reviewing test material or is real world experience a necessity? Are there any other certifications which may give me an edge against other entry level applicants if I can obtain them?

Thank you for any advice!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    If you're really just looking to put letters after your name you can get your LEED Green Associate cert. I think all you need to do is take a course, then take the test.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I wouldn't suggest spending the money to get LEED or any other letters, unless you have some goal in mind behind them. Most planning jobs will not give extra credit for Code Enforcement letters, and most code enforcement won't care if you are LEED certified.

If you are going public AICP and other designations are more important than if you are going private, to which LEED might be a better route.

Look around on the site, you will find views on all of the letters, but personally I don't think you are more marketable because you took a test. Volunteer, intern, etc. Experience is king. Unfortunately you might have to give away your services for a bit to assure that you have enough experience to get your foot in the door.

Open the net wide, network, and then hope for the best.

Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I am wondering what additional licensing and certifications I can take classes for that would help me out in the job search. I know without experience you cannot do AICP, but is CZO obtainable with just college experience? Would you guys think that going and getting a building inspector certification would help me at all or just end up wasted? I have interviewed for one code enforcement position where I think inspection certification may help, and during my internship the town planner WAS the code enforcement officer as well.

What about trying for CCEA? Can I get that with just my own personal time spent reviewing test material or is real world experience a necessity? Are there any other certifications which may give me an edge against other entry level applicants if I can obtain them?

Thank you for any advice!
    I agree with others that letters after your name is often a fetish/compensator. You are likely going to have to move far away, so cast a wide net and plug away at the job-seeking game.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    I will say this, if you want to make yourself more marketable, don't worry so much about the letters. Worry about what you're learning.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Depending on your employer, I would suggest AICP. Required in larger metro areas, federal government, etc. Has anyone seen a planner with PMP (Project Management) certs?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    In general I agree with what the others have said. But if you have a specific specialization you are interested in, you might consider whether there is a relevant certification you could pursue. One example is CFM for floodplain manager. One caveat: I wouldn't list my specialized certification for a job that doesn't require /relate to it, as you might be seen as too specialized.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Useful Certifications after college?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Sep 2013, 5:00 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 May 2013, 12:09 PM
  3. Certifications
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Oct 2011, 2:43 PM