Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Associations AIB Favorite Scents

Registered
    Jul 2006

Associations AIB Favorite Scents

Are there scents that trigger particularly strong mental/visceral associations for you? Maister mentioned a particular woman's perfume. I can relate to that as well with one that invariably reminds me of a high school sweetheart but the strongest one for me is the smell of machine oil. My dad was a machinist and always smelled like that when he came home from work. I'm long gone from living at home and he passed away 15 years ago but that scent will still bring back memories.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Two strong associations

1) White Shoulders perfume: I had a girlfriend who wore it and even though the relationship was not my most healthy, I think about her whenever I smell it. I still miss her sometimes.

2) The smell of skunk: reminds me of the smell of really good pot. I associate the smell not so much with the pot but of the friends I used to get baked with. Every time I pass a freshly-dead skunk on the road and that smell gets into the car, I remember them and those good times we had. I miss them more and more. Two of them died.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jun 2003
    wet & smoky Firefighter's bunker gear.

Wet Labrador Retriever.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Onions browning in butter - the start of a dish my mother would usually make for holiday family reunions - tends to remind me of Thanksgiving and Christmas as a kid.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In addition to the already mentioned association, the scent of Kiwi shoe polish instantly triggers a very early childhood memory of my grandfather. I vividly recall him removing his wooden shoe polish kit from the closet and showing me how to polish shoes. I don't shine shoes very often these days, but the only kind of polish I will buy is Kiwi.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Black Cherry Pipe Tobacco always reminds me of my granddad. He smoked a pipe all the time and only used the one type of tobacco. He's been gone 20 years, but I still remember the aroma that clung to his clothes.

Wet cardboard reminds me of moving in the rain as a kid. Not pleasant and not something I want to repeat.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

An on again, off again relationship I have with a woman. She wears a very distinctive perfume.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Song Memory Associations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 19 Mar 2007, 1:07 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 17 Aug 2006, 4:00 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Aug 2006, 5:01 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Jul 2006, 10:17 AM