Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mulling over Cal Poly SLO and UC Denver

     
    Registered
    Apr 2012

Mulling over Cal Poly SLO and UC Denver

Hi, I'm a new user here. Forgive me for starting a thread right away just about myself. I was wondering if you all could weigh in on my decision I have to make soon (and hopefully start some good conversation on some schools that others are thinking about.

Right now I have narrowed my choices for masters planning programs down to Cal Poly and UC-Denver and am completely stuck on what to do. I enjoyed touring both campuses and have talked and exchanged emails with professors from both schools, who all seem very nice. I like Cal Poly's hands on approach and favor their program a little more than Denver's.

I noticed on the Planetizen Guide that the median salary for Cal Poly graduates was around $62K which seems remarkably high. Is there a chance this figure may be false? The California budget crises worries me with finding a job and would actually rather live in Colorado than California (unless its the Bay area) after I graduate.

Basically, I am just wondering if there are any students who have committed to either schools and would like to share why they chose them. Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Welcome to Cyburbia!

Your email bounced when you registered. We require all users to have working email addresses; it's not so we can send you spam, but so we don't get a lot of bounced messages should you enable certain notification features. Please write to cyburbia (dot) forums (at) cyburbia (dot) org with a working email address, and we'll reactivate your account.

Moderator note:
    Also a note: we get cease-and-desist emails from Planetizen whenever there is any information from their school guide that goes beyond the basic top 10 list. It's Fair Use in our opinion, but we'd rather not risk any problems. Thus, we discourage any discussion of the Planetizen guide here.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Yellow21 View post

Right now I have narrowed my choices for masters planning programs down to Cal Poly and UC-Denver and am completely stuck on what to do. I enjoyed touring both campuses and have talked and exchanged emails with professors from both schools, who all seem very nice. I like Cal Poly's hands on approach and favor their program a little more than Denver's.

I noticed on the Planetizen Guide that the median salary for Cal Poly graduates was around $62K which seems remarkably high. Is there a chance this figure may be false? The California budget crises worries me with finding a job and would actually rather live in Colorado than California (unless its the Bay area) after I graduate.

Basically, I am just wondering if there are any students who have committed to either schools and would like to share why they chose them. Thanks!
    Altho I escaped CA, I consider it home and I live in Denver now.

It is a no brainer: SLO. Even if SLO has diminished by 35% since I left, it is still better than CU now. Apologies to CU grads. It is also a no-brainer that you would want to live here when you are done, if only for the sheer challenge of trying to actually plan here (even though there are some nice developments here).
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Yellow21 View post
    As for salary, keep in mind that California's cost of living is pretty high compared to most places (including Colorado).

Then it would probably be a bit easier to find a job in Colorado if you went to UC Denver but that certainly doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to find one if you went to Cal Poly. But yeah, I'd agree Cal Poly has the better program.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Cal Poly SLO, anyone?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 May 2013, 3:15 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Mar 2012, 8:45 AM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 16 Jan 2011, 8:09 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Apr 2009, 12:18 AM