Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trying too hard

Registered
    Feb 2004

Trying too hard

Dan once remarked in a thread a few weeks back that Hungarian tv commercials in the 1980's felt like they were 'trying too hard' to seem western. I instinctively knew what what he was talking about but at the same time realize that 'trying too hard' is sometimes an elusive quality that's hard to nail down. It's kinda like saying "we appreciate that you're trying to accomplish a particular aim, but your efforts leave one with an overall impression of either falsity or overkill due to the exaggerated intentionality [of whatever it is you're trying to do]"

Can you think of other perhaps more common examples of trying too hard? Here's one: American craft brewers are trying too hard when it comes to making well-hopped IPA's

or how about when a politician offers a heavily qualified apology? We can all appreciate precision and clarity in speech, but sometimes polticians (and radio talk show hosts) try a little too hard.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most QR codes that I scan take me to an ordinary web page. I was under the impression that if I took the time to pull out my smartphone and scan that weird looking blob of black-and-white pixel-data that I would get some kind of "added value" in terms of the information that was served to me. Not the case at all. A big box electronics store that I recently visited has QR codes plastered on the shelf tags for products like TVs and appliances. In the end, its easier to talk to a salesperson. But then again, at this big box electronics store, salespersons doon't know much more than the QR codes. Wouldn't it just be easier to have knowledgeable staff people that care about their customers?

(Ironic Self Reflection - I think I am trying too hard to understand why this big box electronics store isn't the best anymore. I think I answered my own question.)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Helicopter parents - If your kid sucks, s/he sucks. You blaming everyone else isn't going to help the situation. You are trying way to hard to make your kid successful.

The New Guy - Most new guys at any job I have had, try SO hard to fit in, that they usually just end up angry and bitter. We hired you because of your skill set and talents. You don't need to be someone you aren't.

Pundits - Look 24 hours news networks, most of what you say isn't true, and even when it is it is so poorly put together that it isn't easily discernible. I think the Daily Show two days ago did a pretty good job at show how hard they are trying these days... Also, the talking heads try so hard to divide our country that I wonder what would happen if we all decided to agree on policies... would you try to make sure that even if we agreed that there is something that we MUST not be seeing?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Thread splitting by Maister comes to mind in this context.

Also a common affliction of used car and furniture sales folks.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Chelsea Handler. I read a few of her books because it was all I had on hand, but thought that she was trying way to hard to be funny, crass, sarcastic in all of them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Forum trolls - Trolling is an art form but when someone tries too hard, it becomes very obvious. A good troll is one where you can't figure out whether they're legit or not.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Thread splitting by Maister comes to mind in this context.
    I have the feeling you are correct. In the future I will try really hard not to try too hard in this endeavor.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I have the feeling you are correct. In the future I will try really hard not to try too hard in this endeavor.
    Hah! I probably would have split the thread just to show ofos who's boss. Noli nothis permittere te terrere is my motto.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I really hope that I’m not trying too hard to look productive when people walk by my desk… no motivation this afternoon and no pressing deadlines to help motivate me, either.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Aug 2011, 11:28 AM
  2. Is L.A. school hard?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 Apr 2007, 7:10 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last post: 11 Feb 2006, 2:56 AM
  4. Hard to believe...5 years!
    Friday Afternoon Club