Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: USC Class of 2014

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011

USC Class of 2014

Hi everybody! This is a thread for incoming MPL students to the Sol Price School of Public Policy at USC. My name is Adam and I thought it would be great if we had a thread to exchange thoughts in advance of the upcoming class. Alternatively, I want to set up a Facebook group for the incoming class not just for MPL students but for other Price School students (hooray for interdisciplinariness!) It would be great to provide our individual perspectives on living in LA, hangout spots, graduate student life, transportation, and things we're looking forward to and/or dreading about the program (hopefully not too much negativity though I honestly don't think there will be. I've lived in the Northeast my entire life and I've only been west of the Appalachian Mountains twice (East Coast bias here) so I probably will bring mostly ignorant LA questions. Those include 'wait, so the Lakers are actually popular?', 'isn't a 3.0 earthquake a big one?', 'didn't I see this place in a movie?' and 'why can't I see the tops of those skyscrapers?'. Honestly, it too me a while to get over the jarring impression from seeing such a different environment, but I eventually realized I liked the place and I'm very excited to be going to USC. Look forward to meeting the rest of you and just want to start getting to know the other USC students.

Cheers,
    Adam

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    And if you want to submit names for a Facebook group, please pm me. I'd love to get to know you through Facebook too (few California folks among my friends).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Hey new Trojans,

Be sure to join the USC Associated Students of Planning and Development (ASPD) facebook group (link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/38451331323/). It's a great way to ask questions of current students and see what social events are going on. I'll be serving as the ASPD Social Chair next year so if y'all have any suggestions for social events please feel free to let me know.

Nick

Eli here!

Hello everyone!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    OK, guys, I just created the USC Sol Price School of Public Policy Class of 2014 group. Please join us - we seem to be a pretty cool and welcoming group and we're going to be running up against each other soon anyway! I'll post on GradCafe and any other sites you suggest to reach out to the other degrees at the Price School.

Adam

Alejandro here, pretty anxious for August to arrive! I know there's a bunch of MPP/MPA admits that post in the govt affairs subforum over at GradCafe, if you want to link them to the facebook group.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 151
    Last post: 23 Apr 2014, 12:44 PM
  2. Replies: 51
    Last post: 15 Feb 2013, 8:01 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 3:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Aug 2010, 3:22 PM
  5. "High-class" low class housing
    Friday Afternoon Club