Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you decide to go 2012?

Registered
    Apr 2012

Where did you decide to go 2012?

Now that April 15th has passed and the dust has settled, I'm curious--where did everyone decide on (and why if you feel like it)? Personally, I tentatively decided to attend Columbia.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    My final results:

Clemson - accepted
    Cornell - accepted with small assistantship
    Georgia Tech - accepted
    Harvard - rejected
    Illinois - accepted
    MIT - accepted
    North Carolina - accepted
    Rutgers - accepted with 2 terms of tuition and one term of assistantship

My pick: Cornell

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Thank you for starting this thread--I've been wondering where everyone decided!

I'm going to go to Harvard for very practical reasons. It's the closest to where my husband is based and they gave me the most money. I'm not sure if I would have picked it if those practical reasons weren't there, but I am excited that they've hired a bunch of amazing staff and are putting a big effort forward to become more interdisciplinary!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    MIT - Rejected
    UNC - Accepted
    UIUC - Waitlisted, then accepted
    Cornell - Accepted
    USC - Accepted, full scholarship
    Rutgers - Accepted, ~ half tuition
    Michigan - Accepted, scholarship worth ~2/3 tuition
    NYU - Accepted

Going to USC!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    I won't go down my whole list of applications (it was about 13 schools--complex reasons), but the final, financially viable choice was among UNC, USC, U Minnesota, and Georgia Tech.

I chose Georgia Tech because it offered a good assistantship for a couple of years, I like its program and culture, and it's close to family and good friends. I'm sad to miss out on the other options, which I know are great, too, but Tech had some really compelling things for me. I'm excited for the fall.

Registered
    Mar 2012

UCLA

I got into the following schools:

- UPenn
    - Cornell
    - Columbia
    - NYU
    - GA Tech
    - UNC
    - UCLA

Rejected from Harvard and MIT.

It was a really really tough decision, and I wasn't able to attend any of the open houses, but I went with my gut which was UCLA. I liked the social justice feel of the program, watched a few Luskin videos on Youtube, and was totally smitten. I also want to live in a big city, so LA can't be beaten there. NYU and Columbia also seemed cool, but they were too expensive. I'm interested in studying community development and international planning, and although UCLA is the strongest in Transportation, the classes they offer on my interest areas seem really cool. Hope I made the right decision! The community and professors at Penn seemed really supportive and freindly, but in the end it came down to program for me, and I felt like UCLA was a better fit since Penn is heavily design-based, which I'm not too keen on - UCLA also more affordable, since I am a California resident.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Admitted to:

Rutgers
    Tufts
    UNC
    USC
    U Maryland
    UMass

Rejected by Harvard.

Going to Rutgers next fall!

I am going to the University of Illinois at Chicago. I live in Chicago and did not want to leave the city if possible, so for me it was either UIC or UIUC and... UIUC rejected me. I am really excited for the fall. Go Flames.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    I will be going to the University of Illinois at Chicago as well. Moving there in two weeks!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've decided on MIT, however MIT and my bank account have decided that I need to spend time at a nice local technical college instead.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

I'm going to Cornell as well!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    I've decided on USC, and am happy with my decision ... despite the recent shootings. I'm assuming the administration will increase security for next year with all this bad press....

Registered
    Feb 2012
    I was accepted to..

University of Michigan
    University of Wisconsin
    Portland State
    and UNC

and am going to Wisconsin. They all seemed like great programs, but Wisconsin was ideal for my interest in water resource planning.

Congrats to everyone. That was such a stressful couple of months I'm glad I found this community to commiserate with.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    I'm going to Denver. So excited! Is anyone else going? Congrats to everyone!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011
    Got into USC, UCLA, and UC Irvine. It was a tough decision but I decided to go with UCLA.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Wisco View post
    I'm going to Denver. So excited! Is anyone else going? Congrats to everyone!
    Congrats from a fellow Wisconsinite! I'm very close to committing but am waiting to hear back about their financial aid offer. Have you heard back?

Registered
    Mar 2012

University of Michigan

I'll be attending University of Michigan (PhD). Is anyone heading to Ann Arbor as well? Congratulations to all!

Registered
    Apr 2012

USC!!!

Got into USC and UNC
    But going to USC. Looking forward to it

UNC

Longtime lurker - thought I'd post my results and decision:

Accepted:
    UNC
    UCLA
    USC
    UPenn
    Georgia Tech
    NYU

Rejected:
    No where

Attending: UNC-Chapel Hill. For me, it came down to UCLA and UNC. I was really impressed with UNC's open house, and they offered me some funding, so they won (though it was not an easy decision).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally posted by atxplanner View post
    Longtime lurker - thought I'd post my results and decision:

Accepted:
    UNC
    UCLA
    USC
    UPenn
    Georgia Tech
    NYU

Rejected:
    No where

Attending: UNC-Chapel Hill. For me, it came down to UCLA and UNC. I was really impressed with UNC's open house, and they offered me some funding, so they won (though it was not an easy decision).
    atxplanner: I think we ran into each other at the UNC open house (I remember Fort Worth). You'll love it at UNC. Congratulations on a great choice!

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Badger521 View post
    Congrats from a fellow Wisconsinite! I'm very close to committing but am waiting to hear back about their financial aid offer. Have you heard back?
    Thanks! I haven't heard back, though I was told I'd know early next week. Let me know what you end up doing!

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Accepted at:

Columbia
    Hunter (Waitlisted, accepted a/o yesterday)
    NYU
    Pratt
    Rutgers

I will be attending Rutgers. The decision came down to NYU or Rutgers. Both have the public policy interdisciplinary option that I wanted more than the urban design focus of programs inside architecture schools, but as someone who has little related experience, I felt the academics at Rutgers covered the most relevant topics and would provide the best education to turn a planning enthusiast into a planner.

Registered
    Mar 2012

UNC!

I was deciding between Georgia Tech and UNC. I too was very impressed with UNC's Open House. It was a hard decision especially since I am interested in design, and I already live in Atlanta. Even though UNC's program is not as designed based, I still felt the overall program suited my needs and interests better. Also, UNC provided funding package. At the verrryyyy last minute, Georgia Tech offered me a fellowship (after I informed them of the UNC offer), but it was not enough to sway me. With the funding packages offered by both institutions, UNC and GT only had a small difference in cost. I am an ATLien at heart, but I am excited for the fall at UNC.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Cal Poly SLO

Accepted to Cal Poly and University of Amsterdam

Rejected from Portland State

I chose Cal Poly, with a small scholarship. Turning down U. of Amsterdam was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I just couldn't front the upfront costs associated with housing and immigration concerns. Happy with my choice, however. More so when I got a personal call from the Dept. Head- made me feel valued.

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Accepted:
    Georgia Tech
    University of Illinois (Chicago)
    University of Michigan
    University of Wisconsin
    Virginia Tech

I will be attending Georgia Tech as they offered the best funding and are a reputable program.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Apr 2013, 11:49 PM
  2. Why Not Let The Consumers Decide?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Feb 2009, 4:29 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 May 2008, 4:06 PM
  4. Separated at Birth? You decide!