Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where did you decide to go 2012?

Registered
    Nov 2011
    Accepted:

UNC Chapel Hill
    Georgia Tech
    University of Illinois at Chicago
    Portland State
    Michigan

I will be attending UNC Chapel Hill this fall. It was a tough choice between UNC & GT (almost exactly the same financial aid packages), but overall felt that UNC was a better fit for my interests.

Registered
    May 2011
    I'll be attending UPenn. It was my top choice heading into applications, and I couldn't say no once I was accepted.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Going to Rutgers next year! The ability to tailor my degree to specialize in what I want really sealed the deal for me

Quote Originally posted by RoseBrown View post
    I was accepted to..

University of Michigan
    University of Wisconsin
    Portland State
    and UNC

and am going to Wisconsin. They all seemed like great programs, but Wisconsin was ideal for my interest in water resource planning.

Congrats to everyone. That was such a stressful couple of months I'm glad I found this community to commiserate with.

I'll be attending Madison as well! I visited the department before i applied and they were extremely friendly! Congrats to all!

Registered
    Dec 2011
    Accepted:
    UIC
    UW Madison
    UW Milwaukee

Good to see so many Madison folks here, I'll be there in the fall as well.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    when did you all hear back from UW-Madison? I'm still awaiting a response....

also, was it an email or real letter? and is it possible that not all responses get sent out the same day?

Quote Originally posted by aor25 View post
    when did you all hear back from UW-Madison? I'm still awaiting a response....

also, was it an email or rea letter? and is it possible that not all responses get sent out the same day?
    I found out 3 weeks ago by checking online. Then i got a letter in the mail. Good luck!

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by jacciz View post
    I found out 3 weeks ago by checking online. Then i got a letter in the mail. Good luck!
    Did you apply early? I sent in my application materials shortly before the March 15th deadline, just about six weeks ago. I'm thinking I was put into the 'maybe' pile and the definite yeses and nos were sent out early. My status is still 'pending' according to the MyUW site.

I just wish I knew for sure because I have an offer from another school, but I'm unsure of the deadline for enrolling since I've gotten no email response after asking and I can't find information on their website. At the same time, I don't want to enroll at my other school (Minnesota) and then get an acceptance letter from Madison a few days later, since Madison is my top choice.

Registered
    Dec 2011
    I applied early and received a letter in the mail on March 15th, so I think your "maybe pile" theory sounds about right.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Don't feel too bad. I applied a couple weeks after the priority deadline to Denver and got my results last week only after giving them a call. As for the official letter - still haven't seen it. I asked them to e-mail me the letter so that I could confirm quickly. Need to have as much time as possible to apply for those scholarships...

Registered
    Feb 2012

UCLA

Accepted to Cornell, Tufts, UCLA, UIUC, UPenn, and USC. Rejected from MIT.

I'll be heading out to UCLA in the fall and can't wait to get started.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Applied to:

Cincy (masters community planning)
    Oklahoma (masters regional/city planning)

Accepted to Cincy with half tuition scholarship
    Should hear from OU within a couple weeks.

So....assuming OU wants me, where should I go?

Quote Originally posted by aor25 View post
    Did you apply early? I sent in my application materials shortly before the March 15th deadline, just about six weeks ago. I'm thinking I was put into the 'maybe' pile and the definite yeses and nos were sent out early. My status is still 'pending' according to the MyUW site.

I just wish I knew for sure because I have an offer from another school, but I'm unsure of the deadline for enrolling since I've gotten no email response after asking and I can't find information on their website. At the same time, I don't want to enroll at my other school (Minnesota) and then get an acceptance letter from Madison a few days later, since Madison is my top choice.
    Hmmm I think you.may have applied late. I thought the deadline was Feb 1 and I applied before.then. But please don't take my word for it.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Going to VA Tech in the fall.

Any other Hokies out there?

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Got into San Diego State, Cal Poly SLO, and San Jose State. Going to San Jose state so I can stay in the bay area. As a side note did anyone ever hear back from cal poly Pomona? It was never my top choice but I never even got back a rejection.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Adam_PBP View post
    As a side note did anyone ever hear back from cal poly Pomona? It was never my top choice but I never even got back a rejection.
    Exact same here.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Accepted:

U Penn
    Berkeley
    MIT
    Harvard

Was not an easy choice, U Penn and Berkeley were out because of geography. MIT and Harvard offered the exact same funding. In the end I decided that if I had any sort of affirmed interest in design or felt passionate about doing a dual law or business degree I would go to GSD. But that is not the case. So MIT it is.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Rutgers

Hey all congratulations on deciding! It was a tough choice, got into Rutgers, USC and University of Washington and I am going to Rutgers this fall! Was super impressed with the school. Guys attending Rutgers see you in the fall!

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Applied to Wisconsin Madison
    Was Accepted to Wisconsin Madison
    Going to Wisconsin Madison

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Well, I finally got my acceptance letter from UW-Madison yesterday. This puts me in an interesting situation, since I still want to go to Madison. However, I had already been making plans to attend the University of Minnesota. From what I have read, both programs are ranked pretty closely, but Madison's program is smaller.

It's weird how so many people that have responded to this are going to Madison, but not a single person has said University of Minnesota yet ha. To me it seems like Madison has more of a prestige factor as well as more people from different parts of the country attending.

Applied to Maryland
    Was Accepted to Maryland
    Going to Maryland

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Applied to UF and FSU

Got into FSU, probably going to FSU

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I also got into UF woohoo! Now i get to choose

I only applied to UT Austin, and I was accepted with an in-state tuition waiver, which brings the cost down to about $4,500/semester for the first year. And I have hopes of getting a TA position the 2nd year to bring it down even more.

I'm interested in Latin American urbanism + community development, so UT was the best/only choice. Plus, probably the cheapest. Win!

Rejected by UNC Chapel Hill

Accepted by:
    Boston University
    UMass Amherst
    University of Oregon
    Georgia State University
    Georgia Tech
    Clemson

After weeks of endless, tiring debate with myself, I chose Clemson. I must admit, turning down Georgia Tech was the hardest decision of my life. It's such an impressive school and program, not to mention that I have family who are alumni and that I already live in the Atlanta area. However, Clemson has offered me a graduate assistanship which will cover out-of-state tuition, and I feel that the intimacy of the program and the liberal arts feel of the university will help ensure a smooth transfer of my undergraduate history work to the planning field.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Apr 2013, 11:49 PM
  2. Why Not Let The Consumers Decide?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Feb 2009, 4:29 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 May 2008, 4:06 PM
  4. Separated at Birth? You decide!