Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of Arizona

Registered
    Feb 2012

University of Arizona

Hi everyone,

I have been admitted at the university of Arizona for their master of science in planning, with a very generous scholarship.

I wanted to know if anyone has heard about this program or is actually studying there right now? I am from Europe, and I want to be sure that the master is solid because I planned to return working back home after I earn my degree.

I know there is another thread about this topic, but it's 7 years old.

Thanks a lot

Registered
    Feb 2012
    can anyone help me?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    In Arizona the urban planning program of note is at ASU. Honestly I have met very few people in AZ that got their master's @ U of A for planning. U of A is more of a hard science, agriculture, mining and engineering school. Its not a bad program it just does not have much of a reputation nor does it graduate many students.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    In Arizona the urban planning program of note is at ASU. Honestly I have met very few people in AZ that got their master's @ U of A for planning. U of A is more of a hard science, agriculture, mining and engineering school. Its not a bad program it just does not have much of a reputation nor does it graduate many students.
    Thank you for your answer.

Can you tell me more about their program? It looks good to me, but them seem to want me to come there really bad, and it is kind of scary. For instance they keep rising their scholarship offer, and the director of the department wants to call me to discuss about their course offer, my career objectives, etc. I am afraid to be the only one there lol.

Please let me know more

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Matthieu View post
    Thank you for your answer.

Can you tell me more about their program? It looks good to me, but them seem to want me to come there really bad, and it is kind of scary. For instance they keep rising their scholarship offer, and the director of the department wants to call me to discuss about their course offer, my career objectives, etc. I am afraid to be the only one there lol.

Please let me know more
    Honestly I do not know much about the program. Until you posted I forgot they even had a masters degree. Again ASU is the dominate player in Arizona when it comes to planning. Next time you speak with the director ask to speak with a student in the program. U of A is a school of over 50,000 students. I guarentee you will not be the only one of the program. A problem you could run into is there will be few opportunities for internships.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I completed my MLA at UA in 2008. At the time the planning dept. was housed in the Geography program. The year after I graduated the planning program moved to the school of LA in the college of arch and LA. I am still in contact with that program and it sounds like the LA and planning programs are pretty closely intertwined. They do a lot of regional stuff, physical planning, and GIS. Previously they had been more policy orientated but I don't know if that is still the case. Both the LA and planning programs are small and you are able to branch out quite a bit and there's lots of opportunities to work with other departments at the university. I worked at the Drachman Institute which was a great opportunity to work on real projects for a range of communities across the state. One negative is the state of Arizona is having massive budget issues and the state politicians are quite possibly the dumbest in the US, so expect constant, unpredictable budget crises.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2009, 2:26 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 May 2007, 11:08 PM
  3. Greetings from Arizona
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 7:28 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Mar 2007, 2:38 PM