Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Shortest comp plan you have seen

Registered
    Aug 2008

Shortest comp plan you have seen

I posted a similar thread in the land use and zoning section about ordinances. It seems there is a reluctance to create our plans with brevity. Though, I suppose if a community is paying a lot of money for a plan they don't want a 50 page document.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A lot of comp plans from the 1950s and 1960s are very brief by today's standards.. On my desk is a regional comp plan from 1959. 32 pages. There was still quite a bit of fluff, such as a long history section.

The topical and geographic granularity of contemporary comprehensive plans lend to their size. The old plans usually had no topical elements, and no appendices where you "show your work". Future land use maps has little explanation for their form; why one area was slated for commercial and another for residential. Generally, the old plans included an intro, basic background/SWOT, some very broad goals and policies, a land use map, and a note about implementation.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I have heard of communities in upstate NY with comprehensive plans of one to five pages. Seriously. But I haven't actually seen any of them.

My guess is that the brevity reflected the only areas of agreement.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    When I was a planner in Kethcikan AK, the comprehensive plan was 3-4 pages, it looked like an outline with title sections with subphrases set off with lower-case letters. I was told by coworkers that the Borough paid a consultant to do the comp plan. The assemblymen decided they didn't like the plan and adopted the outline. It was a very easy document to worth with. Anything you wanted or didn't want to do could easily be justified.

I wish I had kept a copy of it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    When I was a planner in Kethcikan AK, the comprehensive plan was 3-4 pages, it looked like an outline with title sections with subphrases set off with lower-case letters. I was told by coworkers that the Borough paid a consultant to do the comp plan. The assemblymen decided they didn't like the plan and adopted the outline. It was a very easy document to worth with. Anything you wanted or didn't want to do could easily be justified.

I wish I had kept a copy of it.
    "Construct bridge from harbor to airport. Project cost $500M. Project is supported by Borough comprehensive plan."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 11:02 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Jan 2004, 2:18 PM
  3. Comp Plan Reviews
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Jan 2004, 11:14 AM
  4. Valdivia's Comp Plan
    Land Use and Zoning