Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What software is useful in urban planning ?

Registered
    Apr 2012

What software is useful in urban planning ?

hi , always i have this question that what software are useful in urban planing ?
    Adob Photo shop have performance in urban planing or not ? (where?)
    3D max how? (where?)
    generally , what softward you used in you works ?
    thank you

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome Amir. There is no core software package for every planner. Many planners use ESRI products for GIS applications. Adobe products (like Photoshop, Illustrator) for production of planning documents are great. I would also say some use AutoCAD or other drawing software.

There are lots of programs available. It really is dependent on what you want to do with it. Since we do so many varying tasks, it is difficult to directly answer the question.

Again welcome, and please stick around.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2012

thank's

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Welcome Amir. There is no core software package for every planner. Many planners use ESRI products for GIS applications. Adobe products (like Photoshop, Illustrator) for production of planning documents are great. I would also say some use AutoCAD or other drawing software.

There are lots of programs available. It really is dependent on what you want to do with it. Since we do so many varying tasks, it is difficult to directly answer the question.

Again welcome, and please stick around.
    thank's my dear friend for the help ..OK

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I use the following the most:

Oracle
    Excel
    Word
    ArcMap

My job is not so typical as I work in transportation and infastructure policy.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I use the following the most:

Oracle
    Excel
    Word
    ArcMap

My job is not so typical as I work in transportation and infastructure policy.
    Also you have to be able to express your ideas, so PowerPoint is useful (although I now use Prezi) as is PhotoShop or a freeware version.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Apr 2012

the softwate that I used form they

I used from this software :
    excel
    CAD
    ARC MAP
    Adob photo shop

in my opinion adob photo shop have hight potential in domain of urban planing but My professors say should i used from ARC map

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    Photoshop is great for cleaning up maps and making them "pretty." But you can't really use it to create the map. Aside from the internal Navy systems I use: a web browser, Outlook, Word, AutoCAD Civil 3D, ArcGIS, Excel, Powerpoint, Adobe Acrobat.

Registered
    Apr 2012

I have a question ?

exqusme feriends
    what do oracele softward in urban planing?

Registered
    May 2002
    ArcMap
    Microsoft Office with Word, Excel, and Access
    Google Sketchup
    An interwebs browser with a connection
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2008
    ___amir___ wrote: exqusme feriends, what do oracele softward in urban planing?
    I'm not sure if this is what DetroitPlanner had in mind, but Oracle can be used with esri's ArcSDE to manage gis data.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kpf View post
    I'm not sure if this is what DetroitPlanner had in mind, but Oracle can be used with esri's ArcSDE to manage gis data.
    Some of my Oracle tables do supply data for ArcMap. The database in question is a large database full of regional infrastructure projects.

I surprisingly don't need to use Powerpoint all that often. Most of the stuff I present is in constant flux so by the time I finish a presentation, it is most likely out of date!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've used Adobe Illustrator in conjunction with ArcGIS/ArcMap. I found Illustrator's tools can help me make far more attractive than just ArcMap alone.

Photoshop, if you're skilled in it, can be used for primitive photosimulations.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    ___________amir____________, would you mind if I changed your username to just Amir or amir? There's another Amir who joined two years ago, but never returned or posted. I can delete their account. Thanks!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2010
    Hello, in Italian country, the city planning is made with cad data (Autocad) and a lots of MS Word document.
    The bigger city and a few several town transform cad data in gis data, with the support of commercial software like ArcMap and Geomedia
    The 3D scenery are made in various way from a lot of architettural students/studios that greatly representing a future reality of soma place, with 3D Studio Max, SketchUp, ArcScene, CityEngine
    and they manipulate 3D scene, photo and graphic design with Adobe Photoshop and create a schema with Adobe Illustrator.

In many year I use this software (ArcMap, Autocad, Photoshop, 3DS...) and I was very pleased, but I was missing something, until I discovered MS Access.
    With MS Access I can really discover a GeoData and after this know-how i create big-database, helpful interface (with user-friendly idea), report and dashboard.

In this way I have many benefits, but I have some restrictions:
    - If I want to share content, I have many problems (... a lot of problem)
    - the compless db queries have brutal impact with my pc
    - the web-gis part isn't implemented
    - the community code/plug-in with public access isn't very interest

My city planning job involve me in all process:
    data collection-->data analysis-->report info-->create tematic maps-->relation content-->multimedia output-->desktop share-->web interface
    all this with citizen public conferences-->technical meeting-->administrator decision

3 years ago ... I collect many problem of efficiently and I explore web for the solution and I find that GEO Open Source software (visit OGC) have implemented many interesting things and a several local town have adopted this logic.

So I clear my PC (first my secretary PC) and I have install GNU/Linux Ubuntu with UbuntuGIS "suite" (see the project Launchpad UbuntuGIS or OSGEO Live DVD)

Now my pc is setting in this mode:

- Postgres/Postgis for manage database, query, geoprocessing, topology....
    - QuantumGIS and gvSIG are the GIS desktop that I prefer
    - Libre Office is the complete office suite
    - GIMP is the complete substitute of Photoshop
    - Inkscape instead of Illustrator
    - Blender is awesome for 3D (view any video)
    - Openshot is a videoeditor very intersting

I find the Google services offer utility in all the planning process and I use all

This is the list of principal software that I daily use in my Job and every time I try something, I find this thing and while I learn something new this for the a worldwide community that continues to grow!

In the end of this post I can speak of PHP... I think that I'm not a software developers, but i create a fantastic way to view/mod/game with geo-data

Happy city-planning!

Lima Cityplanner (Geographer)
    il boom dei dati geografici in corso, aspettiamoci quello delle informazioni spaziali

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2012

Urban land use planning

Hi,

besides ESRI products etc. We also use tools work with spatial multicriteria evaluation (SMCE), which is useful for land use planning. There is one nice tool which is an extension of ArcGIS called communityviz. But there is also a software (for fee) Ilwis which has a nice SMCE tool (http://52north.org/communities/ilwis)

Best,
    Monika

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by pjhooker View post
    - GIMP is the complete substitute of Photoshop
    The new 2.8 version of GIMP just released looks awesome. Will try it now.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Here we use
    Adobe Suite
    Google Sketch-up
    Accuglobe (free GIS)
    ESRI Products
    MS Suite of Programs
    AutoCAD

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2012
    Just to add one additional software: I personally like also packages like Free Mind (for making mind maps) which are useful for structuring discussion, problem analysis etc.

overview of software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pping_software

Registered
    Apr 2012

thank you very much

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Moderator note:
    ___________amir____________, would you mind if I changed your username to just Amir or amir? There's another Amir who joined two years ago, but never returned or posted. I can delete their account. Thanks!
    not need to change my user, because I,m using from this user in evrywhere !!!

Registered
    Apr 2012

it,s intresting that you using from this sofwares

can you more explain about Illustrator software and how do you used it , can i write a book about software performances in urban planing ?

Registered
    Feb 2014

What software is useful in urban planning ?

AutaCAD Map 3D
    AutoCAD Raster
    ArcGIS ( ArcMap or ArcInfo)
    Global mapper
    Google Earth
    MS Office Suite ( Excel and Word)
    Sketchup
    Garmin Base Camp (for Gps)
    Corel Draw/ Photoshop and Illustrator
    Infraview
    Acrobat PDF creator

Are my favorite