Urban planning community

Poll results: going to lunch?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eat at my desk mostly with lunch from home

6 31.58%
  • eat at my desk mostly with lunch brought in from a store/snadwich shop/restaurant

8 42.11%
  • lunch out with coworkers or meetings often

1 5.26%
  • lunch at the counter, Alice-style

1 5.26%
  • try to go out to lunch with a friend once a week, more or less

1 5.26%
  • 3 martini lunch, sweetheart

0 0%
  • lunch on the 19th hole, baby

0 0%
  • lunch is a verb

0 0%
  • don't eat lunch

2 10.53%
  • I eat every x hours so lunch is obsolete in my schedule

0 0%
  • lunch is followed by a little nap, I am very European

2 10.53%
  • I work in a sweatshop, no breaks

1 5.26%
  • what is this lunch of which you speak

1 5.26%
  • Why do you hate America

4 21.05%
  • really, LP?

2 10.53%
  • other more snarky answer

4 21.05%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: lunch? take 2

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

lunch? take 2

There was an article in Slate today about the benefits to time management of eating lunch at your desk -

what do you do - wait for the poll

okay try this again... mods please combine once the poll goes up, k? sorry

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Now here's a thread you can really sink your teeth into...

Don't eat at the desk too often. I have to get out of this place each day.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    mods, throw this thread into take 2, thanks

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    mods, throw this thread into take 2, thanks
    Moderator note:
    Hink:Your request is my command.

I eat at my desk. Which is why I have to exercise. I wish I exercised more....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I typically eat at my desk 2 days a week. Three days a week I have lunch at home to coincide with the dogs' lunchtime potty break.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I typically eat at my desk 2 days a week. Three days a week I have lunch at home to coincide with the dogs' lunchtime potty break.
    crap, I wish I added going home to let the dog out or to just eat at home, oh well...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Usually go home for lunch, which usually consists of soup and/or sandwiches.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Food consumption is prohibited in my desk fort. Crumbs and all, ya know.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm usually in the office all of one day a week, so that's generally either walk across the street to the Peachtree Center (downtown ATL) food court or an in-house lunchtime meeting with food provided. When working from home I try to not eat at my desk...I spend enough time there as it is.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    When working from home I try to not eat at my desk...I spend enough time there as it is.
    Ditto. Since I work out of my house, I head downstairs, make a sandwich or have some yogurt, and read the newspaper at lunchtime. If it's nice out (read: above 60 degrees), I'll dine on the porch.

I think it's important to take a break from work during the day. It clears your head and restores your energy, whether you use the time to eat, socialize, read, go for a walk, or whatever.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I have a 35 miles commute to work so no going home for me. I try to spend my lunch working out at the Y, though that hasn't been too successful lately. I have food here that I eat at my desk, sometimes I run out for food but just bring it back here to eat.

Registered
    May 2005
    Lately, I would say I've been bringing my lunch and eating at my desk 3 days a week. Other 2 days I probably go grab a quick sandwhich/burger/etc. from somewhere.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Healthy Choice/Marie Callendar/Kashii microwaveable dinner, crackers and diet coke 3-4 days a week. The other 1-2 days a week, Subway that I bring back to my office. I'm available from the minute I walk in the door to the minute I walk out in the evening. Since I have a work blackberry, I'm even available after hours.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I usually leave the building for lunch. We have no windows so I have to see what's happening in the outside world.

Registered
    May 2005
    I am fortunate to work 1.5 miles from home so I ride my bike most days. And I go home for lunch. Very affordable AND, it sometimes affords me a short siesta, which I find delightful.

When we had our first child, I literally started work the very day he was born (well, my wife went into labor 10 minutes after my getting home from work). So, I was in a serious sleep deficit in those early months, not to mention to additional anxiety over a new job. Which is to say, I was pooped most of the time. But I also had an office with a door. I curled up under that desk during lunch more than a few times...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Usually home made lunch in the car at a park a few minutes away. Getting out of the building is importatnt to me.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    You forgot sit in your car and eat!

I usually like to get out of the office, but unfortunately going out to eat gets expensive and can be unhealthy (if you're eating fast food), so I try to bring a brown-bag lunch and eat at my desk at least 3 times a week or so. The other days, I will either grab a burger from a fast food place and eat in my car while watching geese and traffic while listening to the noon business hour on AM radio (or sometimes the local rock station), or I will grab a sandwich from Subway or Jimmy John's or a burrito from Chipotle and return to work and eat it at my desk.

I like to go out to eat with co-workers, but we only really do that for special events, like when someone's leaving, getting married, having a baby, etc. Everyone's always so busy and our schedules never really align to where we can all go out together more regularly.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 594
    Last post: 07 Aug 2014, 8:08 PM
  2. Home for lunch?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 58
    Last post: 13 Feb 2007, 11:39 AM
  3. When do you eat lunch?
    Friday Afternoon Club