Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: High school reunions

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    I wonder if those who shun reunions are somehow doing so out of a larger fear of mortality or over regrets about things that they'd wish they had done (or vice versa) during their high school years. Maybe I'll feel different when it's time for my 20 or 30 year reunion.
    I think one of the reasons I've never attended a high school reunion is that I actually had more friends that attended the other high school in town.

To play devils advocate, I wonder if people who are enamored with attending high school reunions can't let go of the past.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2002
    This is the 20th anniversary of my high school graduation, but I haven't heard a single word about a possible reunion. I keep in contact with all the fellow grads I want to anyway.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I was all packed to go to my 10th in '85 when Hurricane Elena made a right turn in the gulf and was headed straight for the gulf-coast FL peninsula town where I lived at yhe time, then was aimed right at the reunion site in the Orlando area. The reunion was cancelled. Then Elena stalled off the gulf coast for a couple days, then looped around and hit Biloxi.

I was back living in central FL when the 20th rolled around. There was a day on campus for any alumni, and I took the kid and had a ggod time. That evening, a rich eye doc from the class behind mine (small school, they do 3 classes at a time in a reunion), had a reception for all 3 classes at his lake-front home. So many people looked just the same, but so many more were unrecognizable. It was ok, my favorite teachers were there, and I know I looked way better than I did in h.s. Two friends I'd lost track of didn't show, so that was disappointing.

Skipped the 30th, may do 40.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    I wonder if those who shun reunions are somehow doing so out of a larger fear of mortality or over regrets about things that they'd wish they had done (or vice versa) during their high school years. .
    Not in my case. Again, I was one of the kids with social leprosy in an extremely cliquish HS. I just don't have that many fond memories of my time there. My idea of a fun evening is not spending time with a bunch of people I barely remember as they get hammered. Since I don't drink, I'm the token sober person who isn't making an idiot of themselves. Also part of the reason I haven't gone is for the last two, I've lived too far away.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear attended my 30th, 40th. Didn't make it to the 45th. The 45th did spawn a group of Panthers (Class of 1966! ) that now get together every September for a sort of mini-reunion. Usually about 75 attendees (not counting sig others) meet for dinner and drinks. BTW, my class had about 650 graduates.

Go Whitmer!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I went to my 40th but none of the others. It was fun. I will probably go to my 50th.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Dec 2008
    High School. I had a pretty good high school experience really, but I've never been to the reunions. My 20th was a couple of years ago and I thought about it but skipped. I think I am probably in touch with the people I want to see and hear from, and enjoy the absence of the others.

Now, if we suddenly needed a Cyburbian reunion in 10 years, I'd go. That I'd go to.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ended up going to my 30th after all. It was kind of different from what I expected. Maybe the best way to put it is it was like being in a room with several dozen strangers - sure, we recognized each other's names, but for all intents and purposes we're more or less different people now than when we were squirrely 18 year olds, and were essentially a group of middle aged adults meeting each other for the first time.

I heard very little in the way of reminscing about Glory Days. Discussions, rather, tended to be more along the lines of the troubles/difficulties we've encountered since hitting the adult world. I encountered a few instances of chest thumping about career successes but for the most part I really didn't think most people were trying to impress in that regard. It was interesting and in most cases gratifying to see how people changed.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. High School Football
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 26 Nov 2011, 10:54 PM
  2. GIS in high school
    Information Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Dec 2008, 4:07 PM
  3. Your High School Yearbook