Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: House parties

Jan 2005
    Land of Confusion

House parties

Ever notice how any given 1980s movie usually features a scene at a massive house party? Were house parties all the rage back then, in the days before there was the internet and decent cell phone technology? For whatever reason (bad economy maybe) it doesn't seem like people are hosting huge bashes like they used to (that is, if those 80s Hollywood movies were a reflection of the times). Or is it that I just need to find myself a cooler group of friends?

Dec 2008
    the delta
    And it seems like all the parties took place at pre-war colonial houses with large front yards. Like the neighbors in these rich developments wouldn't have the cops on speed dial after the third rusty beater parks on the street(!)
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

May 2005
    The Fox Valley
    Blog entries
    Yeah, I don't know why house parties aren't as big. I guess people are just lame. I remember a few years ago in college, we had them all the time...but that's because it was college and people didn't really have an excuse for not showing up.

Nowadays, my roommate and I try to have house parties, and it's like pulling teeth trying to get people to come. People always have other stuff going on...families, significant others, weekend trips, and any other excuse under the sun. LAME! We've even come up with theme parties and whatnot to make things interesting, but to no avail. We usually get a couple close friends and a few other people. So, they turn into more intimate gatherings of 4-8 people. But we still have fun. I remember on New Year's, there were only six of us, but we still got absolutely wasted and danced til 3am.

I don't know...I guess I need new friends. Or maybe I need to grow up and be lame and boring like everyone else.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Apr 2012
    Sasebo, Japan
    I stopped going to house parties after a girl got killed at one. House parties we great when I was a teenager, but where i lived they always devolved into violence. Always.

Mar 2007
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    I grew up on a farm so it was always like pulling teeth to try to get a bunch of friends to come visit when I was in high school because it was such a trek and once you arrived, you of course had to make the trek back. I did however have a bunch of friends over for bonfires a couple times a year my junior and senior year. I don't know if that counts as a house party though. There was one girl in high school who's parents seemed to be gone every weekend our senior year so her house became party central. There were a few kids who would drink a little, but all in all, I have to say our extended group of friends were overall pretty well behaved.

These days, I have a 4th of July party at my house every year and we get anywhere from 20 - 40 attendees (and since we are getting old and lame, there are always a few kids as well). Even though people stick around until well after 11:00 p.m. (that's late in my book!) there are never any complaints from neighbors and we never get hassled by The Man. It probably helps that our house is within walking distance of our local fireworks display so there are usually about 10 other large parties on the few blocks between our house and the park. There is even one that has brought in a DJ and a large tent each year we've been there.

Did anybody here see the movie Project X about the house party to end all house parties? I know it wasn't marketed towards my demographic, but I thought it looked sort of silly - in a totally outrageous sort of way. I may have to stop by the Red Box for it when it hits the DVDs.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Superbowl parties
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Feb 2010, 7:44 AM
  2. Office Holiday Parties
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 18 Dec 2009, 2:48 PM
  3. Christmas Parties and you
    Friday Afternoon Club