Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Does anyone have the book "Geography of Nowhere?"

Registered
    Apr 2012

Does anyone have the book "Geography of Nowhere?"

Exqusme frind's ... I like to read the book of geography of nowhere but this book there is not in my country .
    do you have this book as pdf ? thank's

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Here is a synopisis:

Blah Blah
    I am great
    Everyone else is stupid.
    Detroit, Disney World, and Greefield Village suck.
    Lots of other places suck too.
    Saratoga Springs is great.
    I am great, smart as a whip too.
    Everyone else is stupid, and sucks.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    I have the book. Not a PDF though. I'll sell you the hard copy version.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Here is a synopisis:

Well...yes, that is why we move away and only come back for weddings and funerals. My poor wife will be subjected again to SE MI coming up soon.

Nevertheless, he is a blowhard but with good points buried in the blowhardiness.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I recently recommended A Better Place to Live by Philip Langdon to someone as a less preachy, more practical alternative to Geography of Nowhere. A description from Amazon:

American suburbs foster social isolation, dependence on the automobile, long commutes and segregation of land use, thereby contributing to family distress and civic decay. That damning verdict by Langdon ( Urban Excellence ), who crisscrossed the U.S. over the past 10 years, informs a much-needed and visionary critique of suburban planning and lifestyles. Among his proposals: organize communities around well-defined public spaces; create generous networks of streets and sidewalks that encourage people to explore their neighborhood; design houses oriented to facilitating residents' interactions and daily involvement in community. Policymakers and developers, in Langdon's view, ought to encourage pedestrian-scale, affordable suburbs--with shopping, services and employment close to home. Compelling reading for those concerned with the declining quality of life, his well-illustrated analysis will serve as a sourcebook for planners, architects, builders and designers.
    Suburban Nation by Andres Duany has a similar "call to action" spirit as Geography of Nowhere, but like A Better Place to Live, also offers practical solutions.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Should have no problem finding someone willing to ship a used copy to your country. Look on Ebay or Amazon...

Registered
    May 2002
    If you go to www.ted.com, and search for Kunstler, you can find a 20 minute video of him presenting a synopsis of the book.

I've got the book, plus "The Long Emergency". I've also got "Home from Nowhere" but only because Mrs. Coragus bought it and I haven't read it.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Kunstler...meh.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2012

Another option - Put the HEART Back In Your Community

Kuntsler's book is angry and arrogant but provocative. A 2011 option is Put the HEART Back In Your Community which addresses similar issues in a positive manner with many examples from around the world. It's available as a Kindle book from Amazon as well as print. I will point out that I am a co-author of it and that reading Kuntsler's book was part of the impetus to write a more positive book. Also, this uses heritage interpretive planning principles to look at a city or community from the "software" side - not just population density, traffic management and zoning. It addresses the interests of people, history of the community, environmental values and how to balance the variety of options.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    William Whyte and Roberta Gratz books are much better reads if you are interested in the social organization of urban spaces.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Here is a synopisis:

Blah Blah
    I am great
    Everyone else is stupid.
    Lots of other places suck too.
    Saratoga Springs is great.
    I am great, smart as a whip too.
    Everyone else is stupid, and sucks.
    Kunstler is intentionally controversial and has a sarcastic acid wit on top of that. He does a good job of getting people to recognize that in recent decades we've built a lot a crap that no one can be proud of. I have not read any of his books but have heard many of the podcasts and I've read the KunsterCast book, which is worth reading.

Registered
    Nov 2011
    Strangely enough, I just finished this book the other night. About 10 years ago, It was an assigned reading for me in Planning School. I remember only reading a few required passages, and never gave it much thought since. I sat down and read the entire book last weekend. It was definitely thought provoking, even with the angry tone. One small claim in the book is that wide streets are attributed to a concern over nuclear fall out and the potential difficulties of cleaning up after a major bomb strike. I found that to be really interesting, and it has set me on a quest to find more information about the justification for our wide street standards we have built ourselves into all across the United States.

At any rate, I have the book and would probably be willing to let it go. Another option would be Amazon or eBay. Either of those should have what you are looking for.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that this is one of a handful of books that all Planners should read. Not because everything in it is correct, but because it, along with many others, shows that there are several different opinions on what good planning, good development, and good place making actually is.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Mar 2010, 10:10 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 08 Jun 2006, 2:37 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Feb 2006, 12:43 PM
  5. Book: "The Price of Loyalty"