Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Undergrad in Australia thinking about masters program at Columbia

Registered
    Apr 2012

Undergrad in Australia thinking about masters program at Columbia

Hi there, just joined the forum, looks good !

I'm in the second year of an undergraduate urban planning degree in Western Australia. My goal is to do the masters program at Columbia.

The problem is when I started my degree I was fresh out of high school and not really sure about what I wanted to do so my marks weren't great, I expect to graduate at the end of 2014 with a GPA of 3.0-3.5

Is this too low for the Columbia program? what if you're displaying an upward trajectory with your marks and have being doing good research ?

Also I am already aware about how expensive Columbia is and that they don't assist international students but that's not something I want to worry about at this early stage.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated, cheers.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I will ask the question that really should be asked... why Columbia? Is it because you want NYC? Is there a professor you want to work with? Why come here in the first place? I think that a 3.5 will be competitive, but understanding why you would want to make the trip (knowing the cost/value of Columbia) is probably important. If you write a great personal statement, that always helps as well.

Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Yes I definitely want to head to NYC but also I have heard that the Columbia program takes a more theoretical approach, which is something that definitely appeals to me.

Being in Australia I don't know a heap about the various ins and outs of the programs in the states, or much about the admissions process in terms of GPA / research / work experience.

What is the rough acceptance rate into Columbia for the planning program?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by wagon View post
    Yes I definitely want to head to NYC but also I have heard that the Columbia program takes a more theoretical approach, which is something that definitely appeals to me.

Being in Australia I don't know a heap about the various ins and outs of the programs in the states, or much about the admissions process in terms of GPA / research / work experience.

What is the rough acceptance rate into Columbia for the planning program?
    My question would be: why are you subjecting your poor parents to this huge debt burden? You can get theory just about anywhere you go.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 May 2013, 8:42 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Nov 2012, 12:25 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Mar 2012, 11:17 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Mar 2009, 2:39 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 May 2008, 12:12 AM