Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Hi, I'm the new guy

Registered
    Apr 2012

Hi, I'm the new guy

Hi all, fresh blood here.

I'll be graduating from the University of Arkansas with majors in Political Science and International Relations in 2 weeks, then moving onto a graduate program in planning. So here's my first question as the new guy:

I have two choices as of right now.
    1. Master of Community Planning at U. Cincinnati. I'd pay out-of-state tuition, but was awarded a half-tuition scholarship ($12,000/yr).
    2. Master of Regional and City Planning at U. Oklahoma. I can pay in-state tuition as an Arkansas resident ($9,000/yr).

So, which would be better/more useful? I'm interested in economic development, but I want a strong foundation in the practical, physical aspect of planning. I've lived in NW Arkansas my entire life, so getting far away would be great, as would living in an actual city. Fayetteville is great with its 70,000 residents + 25,000 students, but I want to be in an area where some planning must be done. I visited OU for my undergrad, and Norman is one of those cities that just says, "We need more space....oh wait, there is literally nothing in three directions, let's just spread out."

Any opinions?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from New York!

You might get a better response if you post your question in the Student Forum.

Best of luck!

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Thanks! I found the Student thread shortly after posting here!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012

Welcome

I'm new on here myself, but am going to start OU's program in the fall. I don't know enough about Cincinnatis program to really give you a compare and contrast. What I can tell you that Norman is a pretty descent place, with a great local music scene and strong support of local non-chain retail and resturants. It can be a bit over-run with hipsters sometimes, but Oklahoma City (25 minutes away) is a strong oppurtunity for planners as it is in the midst of a string of large rehabilitaion programs and has a lot of very neat communities.

Closed thread