What legal recourse can I take if the building inspector gave me a building permit and then said later, "oh, I made a mistake, you need a variance" after the construction has already started? We had to pay an additonal $400 and then go before the Township Board to state our case. The board asked us twice "why are you here if you have a permit?" We complied with what the building inspector told us so we wouldn't get in trouble. Now we have to wait 45 days for the board to decide if we can build. I have spent over $6,000 prepping the existing house with plumbing and electric for the new addition. I'm in a split level in PA. We had a garage that included a small basement. We enclosed the garage and knocked the wall down between the garage and basement to make a den. Now we want to build a garage next to the old garage with a bedroom and bathroom above. All plans submitted were approved prior to starting any work.
What can I do if we can't build now? I'll be out over $6,000 and have no where to put everything that was in my garage - lawn mowers, snow blower, tools, etc. They are all in my backyard with a tarp covering them. I also have an antique car that must be garage kept for insurance reasons. That's at my friend's house waiting for the new garage.