Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TND in the Northeastern US

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

TND in the Northeastern US

As I wrote in another post, my community's proposed comp plan recommends Traditional Neighborhood Development as the preferred form of development over conventional suburban subdivisions, with areas designated for new TND-based neighborhoods.

One problem I'm having in selling the idea to those who may still be a bit uncertain: finding good local-ish examples of TND projects; places that might be a destination for a day trip, or a side trip when visiting their relatives in Boston, NYC or wherever. There's thousands of photos online of TND projects, but most seem to be in the South and West, where the landscape or vernacular architecture are much different than in the Northeast. I have to be careful with showing others my photos of projects in Denver and Austin, because the landscape is much drier, with far less tree cover, than in green, rain-soaked upstate New York. I've got plenty of photos from my visits to TNDs in the Orlando area, but the vernacular architecture and palm trees also make it hard for others to conceive of such a project in their backyard. I could point to nearby historic villages -- "Check out Skaneateles and Cazenovia!" -- but the "old urbanism" hardly reflects more contemporary TNDs.

So, throbbing brain of Cyburbia: can you point me towards examples of good-sized, real TNDs (e.g. not some "neotraditional" conventional subdivision like this), with a wide range of housing and maybe some commercial/mixed use, that aren't outrageously far from the 607? If they have a "crunchy" feel (e.g. Serenbe near Atlanta), all the better, but it's not a must.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Baxter Village in Fort Mill SC ought to be a good one. It has similar vegetation and is about as 'traditional' as I have seen for new developments. Its 'Town Center' does a pretty good job of emulating a mixed use city street.

Here is a link to their website's photo album: http://www.villageofbaxter.com/photoalbum.php

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    I don't now about literal adherence to Duany's scheme (which he subsequently superseded with the smartcode transect, anyway), but the following projects come to mind as having elements of the TND:

- Lowell, MA urban design guidelines
    - Windsor at Oak Grove, MA (Melrose I think)
    - Tuxedo Reserve, NY
    - Carvel, NY
    - St Andrews, NY
    - Blue Black Square, CT
    - Storrs Center, CT (Mansfield I think)
    - Harbor Point, CT (Stamford I think)
    - Mashpee Commons, Cape Cod, MA
    - Station Landing, MA (Medford I think)
    - Livingston Town Center NJ
    - Washington Town Center NJ

This is just off top of my head.. and I only remember the development names.. so you'll have to look them up. There are at least a dozen others I can't recollect right now. My old firm worked on at least half if 'em in one respect or another.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hey, I was just recalling that I have several photos from around Madison, WI. Would that be close enough?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Hey, I was just recalling that I have several photos from around Madison, WI. Would that be close enough?
    Let's see what you have. Thanks!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Check out these. There are a couple crunchy ones in there, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7642754...7633363404255/
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Cismontane is on a roll - adding to it:

Blue Back Square in West Hartford, CT (by Street-Works) is a great addition to an existing downtown. Also check out what they're doing in Quincy, MA.

Station Landing in Medford, MA (by National Development) is not bad, but unfortunately isolated by the existing arterial roads bordering it.

Also look at Assembly Square in Medford, MA (by Federal Realty). This project includes a new T (subway) station, on a large brownfield site. Look at their other projects, too.

Keep an eye on these companies if you're at all interested in the economics / finance of TND projects. They are breaking ground in making large scale public - private partnerships for TND development into profitable improvements to their communities. They will be held up as examples in the financing and approval processes for the next round of similar projects.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Second Assembly Square in Somerville, although I think the jury is still out on how "urban" it turns out given the proposed supermarket that is replacing the Ikea on the site.

Also, Eastern Village and Dunstan Crossing in Scarborough, ME and the Bayside neighborhood in Portland, ME (which has similar urban feel, strengths and weaknesses as the Assembly Square site, but no transit stop.)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Dec 2011, 4:03 PM
  2. Northeastern MURP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Sep 2009, 2:10 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Dec 2007, 2:57 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Sep 2007, 3:36 PM