Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Number of work-related night meetings?

Registered
    Aug 2005

Number of work-related night meetings?

How many work related night meetings do you attend per week?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm good for 2/week on a fairly consistent basis. Sometimes I get lucky and it is just one. If I have a special projects or community outreach activities going on (i.e. putting out a fire at a neighborhood meeting), it can jump to three.

This is in a small town, so all meetings occur at night with Council, Boards & Commissions.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 03 May 2012 at 12:05 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    3-4 per month with additional ones thrown in form time to time. Its not too bad. Most don't go beyond 7pm.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Typically five that are regular and occasionally more. Length depends on agenda and whether it is council or others -- council meetings most often drag on forever.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2005
    I have 3 night meetings a month that I attend regularly.

Another night meeting for a group that only meets quarterly.

And the last night meeting is once per month, but attended by one of my staff members.

So I guess 3 meetings a month, divided by 4 weeks, comes out to less than 1 per week.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Used to hold this schedule, 1 meeting per week.

-Planning Board
    -Zoning Board
    -County Council Work Session
    -County Council Public Meeting
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jun 2005
    My average is 3 per month, and they tend to be around 2 hours long each.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    5-6 a month for this former director. In the early days of Greensburg rebuilding and while drafting a new zoning code, the planning commission met weekly. Oops...double post. sorry

Registered
    Dec 2008
    2-3 per week. We don't get official comp time, either.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I used to be 2-3 per month. Now as Acting Director I'm around 2-3 per week. Luckily I negotiated Comp Time into my temporary stint but still . . . these 11 hour days are getting to me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I worked in government I was commonly going to an average of two night meetings per week, and often two early morning meetings as well. There's nothing so much fun as showing up at 7 Am and working through to midnight.

As a consultant - and particularly with my specialty - I now rarely have to attend evening meetings.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've worked in local gov't for about 26-1/2 years. I've attended roughly 100 night meetings. What's just fewer than 4 per year. I haven't been to a night meeting since 2004.

Night meetings cut into cocktail hours.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Normally one per week for this current director. Planning commission first and third weeks, city council second and fourth. During budget season, budget committee meetings are added. Also we sometimes have special evening meetings of one kind or another. I also have monthly hospital board meetings, but that is not city-related.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Up to 4-5 nites a week, depending on jurisdiction and special circumstances (community meetings, comp plan updates). Last job in "regular" planning: probably 500 hrs per year, for 7 years. Last 5 yrs in trail planning, probably half that. Yeah, they worked me like a dog.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am about 5 per month. Lately though we have been having special meetings pretty often, so it is more like 7.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Current position: average 3 a month, all in the same week.
    Previous position: none
    First position with this city: none

Our Commissions and Council meet during the day. My evening meetings are neighborhood groups.

Previous municipal employment: none

Prior to that: small towns that have all their meetings at night. I averaged one a week.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    In my previous job I averaged about 4-5 per month.

In my new position (director), I'm averaging about 3 per month outside of budget season, 5-6 per month during budget season. I'm fortunate that I have a fantastic pair of planners on my staff, so we're able to split the night meeting load pretty evenly every month.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2006
    When I was the director of a small communties ED department it was 3 or so a week. Half were public meetings and others were mixers and cocktail hours with developers, construction firms or interest groups. Now that I am a mid level toiler in a larger community a have few night meetings but I rarely leave the office before 730pm. 12 hour days are the norm but at least we get Fridays off...although the rest of the world does not so I often have appointments on Friday or have to come into the office for a few hours.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2007
    about 1 to 2 per month, however entitlements are just really slow right now. On average about 2 a month and throw in an occasional City Council meeting.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Where I work, the traffic engineers handle more night meetings (with residents especially) than the planners, though we certainly get our share. They get comp time but we don't (this is probably a factor of the supervisors' management style). I'd say they put in at least one night meeting a week, and can go up to three, pretty consistently throughout the year. The planners put in about one or two a week when there's a hot project, and maybe one or two a month otherwise.

Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    3-4 per month with additional ones thrown in form time to time. Its not too bad. Most don't go beyond 7pm.
    Ditto

Registered
    May 2002
    I average 2-3 a week pretty regularly.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban planning related work in Hawaii
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Mar 2013, 12:40 AM
  2. Server work Saturday (12 October) night
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Oct 2006, 11:14 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 08 Mar 2006, 4:15 PM