Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Salary negotiations

Registered
    Oct 2008

Salary negotiations

Recently a friend and I were discussing negotiating salaries for transportation planning job offers. We both noticed that the salary ranges of these jobs (we have been applying to) were generally mid 40k to 80k in the NYC Metro area. Anyone have any tips on negotiating salaries when offered entry level positions? Should indivduals ask for more money if they hold a masters degree and the job only requires a bachelors? Not sure if this has been discussed in a previous thread.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by rent8104 View post
    Recently a friend and I were discussing negotiating salaries for transportation planning job offers. We both noticed that the salary ranges of these jobs (we have been applying to) were generally mid 40k to 80k in the NYC Metro area. Anyone have any tips on negotiating salaries when offered entry level positions? Should indivduals ask for more money if they hold a masters degree and the job only requires a bachelors? Not sure if this has been discussed in a previous thread.
    If you want us to be helpful, I think you fist need to tell us for what type of firm or agency, and, more importantly, how much experience you have. Kind of hard to comment on the appropriate compensation when we don't know whether you're a new grad or have 20 years of experience.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by rent8104 View post
    Yes, this topic was discussed on cyburbia. First, EARN the offer. Entry level applicants do not have enough poker chips to cash in for a higher salary, regardless if you have a bachelors or masters or every internship under the sun. If you have a competing OFFER IN HAND it might work for a private sector job. Everyone is cashed strapped right now in planning, so you will have to take what you can get and work up from the bottom.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

I agree with nrschmid. It's still a bad economy, so the trick is actually landing a job first before thinking about salary negotiations. After you receive an offer, it's worth a shot at negotiating a higher salary. But it will likely be futile as most new employees without extensive experience start at the bottom of the salary range. Maybe someone that conducts hiring can confirm, but it's my strong belief that a bachelor-degree holder with experience will trump a master degree holder with none any day of the week.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    You can always try to negiotate a higher salary. Also keep in mind that most people have not gotten raises in the past several years and they its not likely they will hire you at a higher rate than those that have been with the firm for multiple years. In my current position the biggest obstacle was they were not going to pay me more than someone that had 5 years with the city even though we had similiar experience.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Salary question
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Jun 2007, 6:57 PM
  2. Salary negotiation
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 25 Apr 2007, 2:39 PM
  3. Negotiating salary