Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Adding and adding new types of businesses to same location

Registered
    Feb 2012

Adding and adding new types of businesses to same location

I keep running into cases when people open up a business and a year later add an additional one in the same location, then another one, then another one. For example, today I was faced with the 1200 SF location in a shopping center which opened up as a book store, then they added a gift shop, then they opened up a post office sub, then they added a coffee/muffin area. Plus they buy gold. Then today they came in and asked if they can add an office for charter boats. Fact that there is no room left aside , any tips/experience on dealing with cases like that. What about parking calculations? I also run into cases when bike shop adds bike rentals, then scooter rentals, then NEV rentals... Parking starts to spill over.

Help!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Are they adding square footage? If not, it would appear the parking demands for the several uses would be the same.

If adding square footage, then the need to provide for additional parking would kick-in.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I agree with RJ. The parking presumably was met when the building was built. In Otisville, even with a change in use, no new parking is required unless they are adding square footage.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    no, they are not adding SF. Just new uses. And sometimes I feel that it's just too much (book store+gift shop+post office+we buy gold+coffee/bakery+charter boat office). They were approved for book store and its parking reqs. It has became too intense and I don't know how to approach this. Plus, we're a pre-platted island with veeeery limited space. Parking is a major issue. Again, same thing with bikes. Approved for bike shop. Then he starts renting them out. Next, scooter rentals, next NEVs/golf carts. And it's like... c'mon guys, slow down.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2011
    Arguably those are all accessory uses, i.e. incidental to the primary permitted use (but check your local rules, ordinances, law, etc.)

Even so, there are typically standards for adding them, and those standards should spell out exactly what the performance standards (like parking) are. If not, the legislature needs to address this on a policy basis. In my opinion, minimum parking standards are no good for anyone. They mean well, but if you force parking capable of accommodating anticipated peak hour use, then you end up with (a) underutilized impervious surface area for much of the day, and also (b) create an incentive to keep expanding, while (c) making it more difficult for some developers to build given the artificially high cost they will incur. Consider also that it contributes to sprawl in that it makes it easier and more convenient to live outside of a town center because you can always drive in and find a space. The best cityscapes were built, for the most part, before parking requirements. Also, if you don’t allow additional parking, this will in theory prevent further expansion and address the “c’mon guys, slow down” you were hoping for. If the customer demands parking, and the business cannot provide it, the business will not continue to grow.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Adding levity where mundane exists
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Jul 2006, 6:35 PM
  2. Dropping and Adding
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 22 Mar 2005, 6:59 PM
  3. Adding links to the Resource Directory
    Cyburbia Issues and Help