Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Error message when try to introduce myself

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2012

Error message when try to introduce myself

I am getting an error message (saying I have no permission) when trying to introduce myself? What could be the reason?
    Monika

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    If there are any URL's or weblinks, you will not be able to post them until you hit 25 posts on the forum. That would be my initial guess as to why you are having issues posting.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Welcome to Cyburbia! This is a bit weird, and I apologize from the start.

We used to get a lot of spam from users in India, Pakistan, China, Vietnam, and some other countries. When someone registers, their IP is cross-checked against an IP geolocation database. If it's from a country that is the source of a lot of forum spam, their registration is put into a queue so we can check it out, and see if it's legitimate.

The problem: IP addresses change from time to time. Some IP addresses that used to be associated with one of the more troublesome countries were recently reassigned to the Netherlands. When someone in the Netherlands registers from one of those relocated IP addresses, the geolocation database thinks they're in China, India, or wherever.

A few times a day, I'll check the new member moderation queue. If the IP is really from the Netherlands, I'll approve it. This is probably the third time it's happened; most of the time, new accounts from Netherlands IP addresses aren't sent into the queue.

Anyhow, I approved your registration, so you should be good to go.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Jan 2011, 7:43 PM
  2. The end of (T)error
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 21 Jan 2009, 6:45 PM
  3. Error 404 on reply
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Oct 2006, 8:03 PM