Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Hiya from NY, NY!

Hiya from NY, NY!

Hello everyone!

I was born and raised in New York and have always had a HUUUUUUUGE passion for my city (and other cities. Anything having to do with "city" I love.) I am fascinated by places wherein millions of people live, all trying to get by, mixing cultures and creating new uses for space.

I spent two years in Italy where I took a break from my studies and tried to make it there, but I realized right now I need to be back in New York. I am in the last year of my B.A. in Urban Studies with a concentration in planning (I had lost some time, naturally, while living in Italy).

Nothing in this world would make me happier than to work full time in the field of urban planning/real estate project development. I believe it really is my calling. I'm a longtime lurker to this forum and just wanted to say hello and thanks. I may one day return to Italy (I have dual citizenship and speak the language fluently so--who knows?--maybe one day I could work in this field there), but right now I'm staying put in New York. My ultimate goal would be to attend the GSAPP at Columbia University.

Once again, thanks to all! This forum rocks.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from upstate NY! NYC has a way of capturing hearts!

Greetings from an ex-pat Jerseyan now planning along the mighty Ohio in the Hoosier state. Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing you around, newyorkobserveher
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What he said just further down river, same state just different time zone.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Hey! Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Do you think that someone like me could ever find planning work in Europe? I hope so. One day I might like to switch things up again.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Boston area. Please tell me you root for the Mets instead of the Yankees

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hiya!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Jul 2008, 2:42 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Jan 2008, 5:15 PM