Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is the starting salary for entry level urbal planner in Los Angeles, CA?

Registered
    May 2012

What is the starting salary for entry level urbal planner in Los Angeles, CA?

Hi,

My name is David. I have recently graduated with BA in Urban Planning from CSUN in California. I am trying to find out, what is the starting salary in Urban Planning field.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DavidZ View post
    Hi,

My name is David. I have recently graduated with BA in Urban Planning from CSUN in California. I am trying to find out, what is the starting salary in Urban Planning field.
    One would think folks would be asking YOU, since you have been looking for jobs for some time nearby.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hi,

Welcome David. Glad to have you. If you do a search, you will find some of what you are looking for. Unfortunately, you are not going to get a final number. There are many factors at play here, and no number can just be generated. Private, public, transportation, economic development? The APA has a salary survey that tries to answer some of these questions, but you must be a member - http://www.planning.org/salary/index.htm

In this economy, the salary shouldn't be the first thing you consider. You should get the job, then negotiate. Good luck.

Please stick around and join in on some threads. Again, glad to have you.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Hi,

Depends on location and what your specialize in. California in particular can range anywhere between 35-60K in general depending on location.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    I went to CSUN... It's tough to find a job without a Masters Degree, which is why I'm starting a program in Denver this fall. Worry about the job before the salary. If you can find a job you should feel lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Hi,

The figures vary wildly by the type of agency you work for, the size of the agency, and its location. The municiple jobs I've seen in California start around 40-50K, and the LA area is usually within the higher range of those numbers.

That said, the starting salary is probably $0; most planners these days start out volunteering and bartending on the side. It could take awhile before you land something fulltime.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Salary negotiation tips for entry-level planner?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Dec 2012, 5:28 PM
  2. Entry level salary - transportation planner
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Jun 2012, 1:30 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Sep 2009, 4:33 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last post: 12 Sep 2009, 11:12 AM
  5. Entry level planning salary?