Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Porch requirements

Registered
    May 2012

Porch requirements

Question: I found out that the small step-up porch leading from the garden walkway up my front door should be two inches below the house's weep screed. That makes the step-up just four inches - is that alright? It seems to me that there must be some minimum step-up height because it might end up being a prime place to trip. Does anyone know about any requirements?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sounds like a building code issue rather than a planning/zoning matter. I recommend you contact your local building official.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Added a building / construction tag. Yeah, it's a bit off-topic, occasionally we may have questions about it, or just want to discuss how building code issues influence our work, like when there might be conflicts with planning or preservation efforts.

For general building code issues like what lotsofquestions posted, it's probably best to consult the local building department.

That being said, I found this on another web site. Disclaimer: I'm a planner, not a building code official or architect. I'm aware of ideal riser and run sizes and proportions, and their impact on the functionality of walkways, trails, and public squares and plazas, but it's not something I use in my day-to-day work.

Riser Height: the height of one Riser in a staircase. This is the amount of vertical distance someone moves when he or she steps from one tread onto the next. Per most Building Codes, the rise should be between 4" and 7" with the ideal rise for a residence being around 7"
    Tread Run: the individual width of each stair tread (excluding the nosing projection which is typically 1-1/8"). This is the amount of horizontal distance someone moves when taking each step. Per most Building Codes, the run should be between 10" and 15". An ideal run is around 10".
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Confused about requirements
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 12:06 PM
  2. Porch Culture: AIB Mud Princess
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 06 Apr 2009, 11:50 PM
  3. Porch requirements
    Land Use and Zoning