Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: movie theatres and ticket prices

Registered
    Jan 2005

movie theatres and ticket prices

As much as I want to see The Avenger's, there's no way I can justify forking over $14 for a ticket to see it in 3D. I can wait until it hits RedBox and watch it at home for $1 or so. Although I've begrudgingly paid the ever-increasing admission prices over the years, IMO it's ridiculous that the theatres have gone upwards of $10 a ticket, even with new digital technologies. Here in the Boston area (where everything else is expensive) they can probably get away with it though. What are the ticket prices like in your neck of the woods? How often do you go to the theatres?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    As much as I want to see The Avenger's, there's no way I can justify forking over $14 for a ticket to see it in 3D. I can wait until it hits RedBox and watch it at home for $1 or so. Although I've begrudgingly paid the ever-increasing admission prices over the years, IMO it's ridiculous that the theatres have gone upwards of $10 a ticket, even with new digital technologies. Here in the Boston area (where everything else is expensive) they can probably get away with it though. What are the ticket prices like in your neck of the woods? How often do you go to the theatres?
    Same exact price, if not higher. Some theaters around her charge $12 for an evening show, plus tack on $3 to $4 for 3D showing. Do the math and you can end up paying $16 for entry. That's a lot of dough imo. The local theater at my place of employment has a $5 movie Tuesday. All movies, $5 (add $3 for 3D). It has become a huge hit with the parking lot full pretty much from 2pm onwards. Similar to someone else said in a thread, i still use my college id for a discount albeit 2 bucks, and i haven't been considered a college student for a better part of 9 years now. I used to go around once every 2 months during the "good times" but lately only about 4 times a year. This year I have been once, to see the lorax with my daughter.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    A movie theater near here has discount movie night on Tuesdays. I saw Avengers for 6 bucks the other day which I felt was worth it. Was 5 bucks a year ago.

Tickets are around ~$8.75 around here then like 2-3 dollars more for 3D. I tend to skip 3D though since it's an afterthought in most movies.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Now that we have a toddler, we only make it to the movies a couple of times a year, but having been to theatres all over the country, I think the Detroit area has sort of lucked out in the realm of movie ticket prices. The two theatres closest to my house have $6 matinees which seem pretty fair to me (I haven't been to an evening showing of a movie in years though so couldn't tell you what that runs). There is a small chain that has a theatre by my office and one by my parents' house and they have $4 matinees.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Funny this should be brought up now, because MSN had a money article recently about the relative purchasing power of minimum wages over time and movie ticket prices is one of the measured.

http://finances.msn.com/saving-money-advice/6952105
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Now that we have a toddler, we only make it to the movies a couple of times a year, but having been to theatres all over the country, I think the Detroit area has sort of lucked out in the realm of movie ticket prices. The two theatres closest to my house have $6 matinees which seem pretty fair to me (I haven't been to an evening showing of a movie in years though so couldn't tell you what that runs). There is a small chain that has a theatre by my office and one by my parents' house and they have $4 matinees.
    My wife and I probably see one or 2 movies at theater per year. Ticket prices proabably average $9.

We go probably once a month with the kids, but we usually hit up matinees with them. Tickets average $5-$6.

Celebration Cinema, based in West Michgian, has a theater where they show 2nd-run movies for about $4 a pop all day long.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I used to go to the movies a lot, but not nearly so much now. A matinee ticket runs about $8.00 here and we have one ten-plex. $2 more for 3-D, but 3-D gives us a headache. Refreshments are the bigger cost, which is understandable. The distributors get the lion's share of ticket prices (90 percent in the opening week and less as the movie runs longer). Concessions are where the movie theater makes their profits.

I miss living in a town with a second-run movie theater.

My son saw the previews of "The Dictator" and asked if we could go. I had to decline. I don't really care for Sasha Baron Cohen's style of comedy (though he was good in "Hugo"). I just couldn't see spending money on movie tickets and refreshments on a movie I know I would hate. Better to wait until it comes out on DVD. We can rent it at Hastings. He can watch the movie and I can go into the basement and read a book.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    There are a couple of local "dollar theaters" where we take the kids, it's only $1.50. That's right. And on Mondays, the big secret is....it's only 75 cents a ticket. Read 'em and weep. We go about once a month.

About 3 or 4 times a year there will be a movie that we really want to see when it first comes out and we'll pop about $9.00 a ticket for one of the mega-plexes. But mostly, I love that old dollar theater.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We go to the Cinema Suites for movie night. Reserved seats (a large, overstuffed recliner that lays almost flat, and a dinner tray that moves aside if needed), no children under 21 allowed, alcohol and dinner service available, all for a base ticket price of $9.00. Food is, of course, extra.

The food and alcohol available are restaurant quality. So far everything we've tried has been really good, with the shrimp tacos getting two thumbs up from both of us. Food or alcohol purchase is not required.

I also don't like paying $14.50 for 3D movies, so I'll wait until they come out on DVD. We now have a 3D HDTV, so that will make home movie night a little more interesting!

I will sometimes go to the movies with my Little (I'm a Big Sister), and that's usually a matinee of something tween-appropriate. We go to the regular theater close to her home. I'm not going to pay full price to sit through another Twilight movie. And she gets a choice - movie food OR lunch - but not both. I can't afford both!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Tickets here are $8 regular. 3D, 3-4 bucks more. Last movie i went to see was John Carter, which wasn't too bad.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2002
    I paid $12 to see the Avengers in 3D. That was beyond worth it, and I'd do it again. However, paying $12 to see Phantom Menace in 3D with the kid was a total ripoff.

Where the theater really hits me is the concession stand. I don't eat or drink during a movie, especially when it's like the Avengers and two and a half hours long, but Mrs. Coragus insists on the jumbo bucket of popcorn with the gallon of pop. Diet of course!
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Where the theater really hits me is the concession stand. I don't eat or drink during a movie, especially when it's like the Avengers and two and a half hours long, but Mrs. Coragus insists on the jumbo bucket of popcorn with the gallon of pop. Diet of course!
    I have a sweet tooth and love all the crap that theatres sell at the concession stand. These days though, whenever I am in Target or KMart and they have the big movie theatre sized boxes of candy on sale for $0.75 or $1.00, I stock up so there is always a supply in our pantry to take with me if we are hitting up a movie.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Our local theater is $5 matinee and $8 regular show (plus $2 for 3D).

We have a drive-in theater in town, cost is $8 per adult ($3 kids 5-11) and that is for two first run movies. This is where we go in the summer, the problem is I usually have a hard time staying awake for the second one

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Northern Michigan has some cheap movie theatres. About $4-$5 will get you in, and another $2.50 for a coke and popcorn.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Northern Michigan has some cheap movie theatres. About $4-$5 will get you in, and another $2.50 for a coke and popcorn.
    Are these old- school theatres or the newer models with stadium-type seating and digital sound?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Hmm considering it costs at least $20 normally to see anything in 3D and usually around $17-18 to see any movie, you guys seem to have it alright! I have a community theatre near me and thats around $8-$10 and they have surround sound, you can have a cup of tea in a tea cup and saucer and choc tops are under $5, so much cheaper and friendlier.

I saw Beauty and the Beast in 3D yesterday for $12- that is very cheap for here. Going to the flicks is really expensive, and thats for two people, let alone a family
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2005
    $27 for 2 to see The Avengers in 3D plus an additional $7 for milk duds and sour patch kids. We have a "super saver" theater where you can catch 1st run movies for $1-3 dollars. The seats are cruddy and no stadium seating but worth it when you want to go see something like Hangover 2.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Tickets here are $8 regular. 3D, 3-4 bucks more. Last movie i went to see was John Carter, which wasn't too bad.
    Correction-it was$9.25 last night for The Avengers. Because of a delay due to technical difficulties, we got passes for a free movie, which takes the sting out somewhat.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Correction-it was$9.25 last night for The Avengers. Because of a delay due to technical difficulties, we got passes for a free movie, which takes the sting out somewhat.
    Btw The Avengers is a great movie in the put-the-brain-in-neutral, big- dumb-fun sort of way. It also has Gwenyth Pawltrow as a red head in shorts and barefeet.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Our family of 6 went to the movie on opening night at the Drive In and saw the Avengers/John Carter double feature for $29 total. We love the drive in, and the sound is great now with the FM transmitter. Plus if we hit the grocery store for snacks and bring a cooler we save a lot.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Hmm considering it costs at least $20 normally to see anything in 3D and usually around $17-18 to see any movie, you guys seem to have it alright! I have a community theatre near me and thats around $8-$10 and they have surround sound, you can have a cup of tea in a tea cup and saucer and choc tops are under $5, so much cheaper and friendlier.

I saw Beauty and the Beast in 3D yesterday for $12- that is very cheap for here. Going to the flicks is really expensive, and thats for two people, let alone a family
    If the $20 is NZD then that's about $15USD. That's high-average for a 3D movie in the USA.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2002
    I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to prices. It costs a lot to make a movie so paying 10 or 12 bucks doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. Good actors (and some not so good ones too) make a lot of money so if you think about that compared to say, pro atheletes and ticket prices to games, it's not even close price wise. That said, I find very few films anymore that are "must sees" on the big screen and am quite content to wait for the DVD.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Mar 2002
    My first real job was in a theater. That's when I learned that a movie theater is a candy store with an auditorium on the back. The money is all in the candy and popcorn.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Did you split your ticket?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 4:36 PM
  2. Abandoned theatres
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 9:03 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 9:15 PM